Let's face it: San Diego is no fashion destination. As a 13-year-old fashion-addicted girl, I yearn for the looks from the streets of New York. Yet, I saw a bit of San Diego Style on the runway for spring 2010. One of my favorite brands, Proenza Schouler, took inspiration from the surf and skate culture of the 90's. When I saw the looks come down the runway, I was so happy to see items that I see everyday, here in Carmel Valley. For example, the wetsuit materials that showed up in the masterful wedges. I think, beyond the Uggs and skinny jeans, there is an inspiration that the skate and surf culture vibe give off to fashion. I like the connection that it makes to our community. Now to a new topic! Each year, Torrey Pines High School has a wonderful rummage sale. Sure, there is some junk you need to work around, but for the most part: treasures! I am quite a funky kid, with funky styles. So, naturally rummage sales are where I perform the best. Just have to get those eagle eyes going and look for funny trinkets. Once, I found a pair of shoes there that looked like Sonia Rykiel spring 2009s. I was so happy! So, what is all of this rambling getting at? Not much, you see! Well, one thing: be a warrior. The night before, have a prep talk in the mirror with yourself, give yourself a game plan. Say: " I will bargain until the person running the booth wants to slap me. I will hold onto all treasures that I have my eye on. I will be the best I can be." Trust me, it helps. Well, that's all for now, folks! I hope that this post somewhat put had to do with Carmel Valley and fashion, than that'll do.

More like this:

Comments

MsGrant April 19, 2010 @ 8:15 a.m.

Emma's blog is great!! I think she should take over Style Stalker....just saying...

MadameCouture April 19, 2010 @ 8:46 a.m.

Awww! Thanks everyone, glad you liked it! You can read some more of my posts on my actual blog. Thanks once again, these comments made my day! @ MsGrant: Take over Style Stalker? Sounds good to me! :)

Russ Lewis April 19, 2010 @ 9:38 a.m.

(#4) Hey, now that's not a half-bad idea.

MsGrant April 19, 2010 @ 9:46 a.m.

Reader admin, are you paying attention? This girl is seriously talented and knows her stuff. You should check out her actual blog. Even a fashion-phobe like me got completely drawn in by the descriptive writing and great photos.

David Dodd April 19, 2010 @ 9:53 a.m.

MsGrant, she's 13. Those pesky child-labor laws might get in the way ;)

MsGrant April 19, 2010 @ 9:58 a.m.

Yeah, I thought about that. Hmmm. Can't a kid make a few bucks? Not sure what the rules are regarding that.

David Dodd April 19, 2010 @ 10:18 a.m.

Me either. When I was thirteen, I did it all under the table. I'm delighted that a thirteen-year-old writes and actually takes care to do it properly. If she ever finds herself up for adoption, I'm putting in for it. Maybe she'll inspire my seventeen-year-old. I'm no fan of fashion (obvious, if you've ever met me in person), but I'm a big fan of those who take their writing seriously. Ergo, this young lady certainly has my respect!