It's National Dog Day! You knew there had to be one. Well, today, August 26th, is it and it is set aside to note our celebration of dogs. It is a way for us to recognize all the things we love about dogs, the companionship and love they give us, the undying loyalty, patience and the truly remarkable way they change and enrich our lives. In short, for those of us who love them, they are a little bit of heaven on earth everyday but today we celebrate it. We should every day but we don't. Sad really.

When I think about dogs I have know there are some special moments that touch my heart. Times when a breakthrough for a shy dog happens. Times when a dog who has fought with dogs in the past can now walk by them and not show fear or aggression. Times my heart has melted because of the special kindness and tenderness a dog has shown to someone in need of friendship, and the joy of just watching a dog, well be a dog; running with reckless abandonment and barking at life.

When you think of dogs I hope you don't think of them as just dogs. If you do then I feel sorry for you. You really must be lonely.

Today I, and millions of others, will take just a moment and celebrate the dogs we have in our lives. We might even take a moment and apologize for all of the terrible things that people have done to dogs (animals). Hopefully they will forgive us because after all, we are just humans.

Image

Comments

Founder Aug. 26, 2010 @ 5:52 p.m.

Woof Woof Bow Wow Slurp Slurp

Means, "I Love you, the most" in Dog speak...

Radical Uterus Aug. 27, 2010 @ 8:16 p.m.

I hear dogs are tasty barbecued slowly over a bed of coals. I prefer a honey mustard barbecue, because it caters to my love of sweet smoky goodness.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 27, 2010 @ 9:10 p.m.

DianaGeorgina .................NOT FUNNY!!!!!.

Radical Uterus Aug. 27, 2010 @ 9:29 p.m.

Not meant to be funny. It is a fact, China, Korea, and Vietnam consume the most dog. North Korea is still facing famine. An American pet lives better that a Vietnamese peasant.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 27, 2010 @ 10:36 p.m.

Yes, China does eat dog, very uncool.

As for North Korea, their famine and low standard of living is entirely, 100%, self induced. The Idiot leader's son is in China right now begging the commies for food b/c the country is starving..................

nan shartel Aug. 29, 2010 @ 10:52 a.m.

crystalcove...how well i remember that...the Vietnamese in Garden Grove were real go getters..became unpaid dog catchers and fed their families well for years on tasty hot dogs

nah i'm lying ...i got a dark sense of humor today...bad nan!!!

i do remember all the Vietnamese who settled there being hard workers...living 10 to a 2 bedroom apartment ...saving their money and buying up businesses as quickly as the could

i also remember them living off welfares AFDC even tho they had gold sown into their clothes when they arrived

opportunistic eh??!!

but the National Dog Day and the dog pics are so adorable and my terrieriffic doggie salute them...and asks

"why didn't i get an invite to this shindig???

DogsLife Aug. 29, 2010 @ 1:27 p.m.

You know what is weird? When a mean, thoughtless and down right nasty person tells you they believe in karma. What? Dogs know better.

PB92109 Aug. 29, 2010 @ 5:07 p.m.

My dog was born on August 26th. I guess it's like being born on Doggy 4th of July!

nan shartel Aug. 29, 2010 @ 10:14 p.m.

i don't trust anyone who doesn't like dogs..that's the karma i have...the best kind...dogs know!!!

Robert Johnston Aug. 30, 2010 @ 11:31 p.m.

Redd Foxx said it best about dogs:

"Dogs aren't dumb. Some fool once told me "Get that dumb dog out of here." I told him "Sucker, how can a dog be dumb when he can understand English and you can't speak Dog?"

Instant Karma: Your "four-legged best friend" hoisting his leg on you and letting you know what he really thinks of you feeding him that el-cheapo dog food from WallyWorld!

--LPR