Ibn Jubayr 10 p.m., July 29
With the all the rain, I decided to seek out some comfort music.
Traditionally, for me, that is Russian Sacred Choral Music. It is simultaneously melancholy and mystical and that combination does it for me on a rainy day.
I went "youtubing" for one of my favorite composers in this idiom, Pavel Chesnokov.
As I listened to his monumental "Salvation is Created" I noticed a link at the top that said, "Beautiful Russian Folk Song."
God bless youtube because what followed was a revelation.
The title of the song is The Little Bell and this performance melted my heart.
The images on the video are of winter but I felt immensely warm and grateful as I listened.
The final image, along with the most beautiful tenor pianissimo you will ever hear, was almost overwhelming.
I googled like mad to find a translation but without any results so I've emailed my few Russian friends and asked for some guidance. When I hear back, I'll post the translation in the comments section.
More like this:
- Steven Ybarra Love Love Loves Valentine's Day Music — Jan. 31, 2012
- Behind the Scenes: Scott Wilson Music Video "Slow Movin' Driver" — Nov. 14, 2011
- Scott Wilson FTP'd His Yoga Girl — June 27, 2011
- What to Listen to — May 13, 2011
- Listening To The Girls — Oct. 3, 2009