Sheila Pell 12:31 p.m., July 1
The Aztecs head to Hawaii
The San Diego State Aztecs head to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic and a possible matchup against #4 Arizona.
The Aztecs leave today to fly to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic. The annual tournament in Honolulu is a great opportunity for SDSU to face quality opponents and increase their national ranking. The 2012 field includes teams from Arizona, East Tennessee, Indiana State, Hawaii, Miami, Mississippi, San Francisco and of course San Diego State.
The Aztecs first game is Saturday at 3 pm pt against San Francisco. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNU and will be on local radio AM 600 KOGO and 101 KGB. The Aztecs are in a great situation to face Fourth ranked Arizona. They would be a major test for the Aztecs heading into the tournament winners of 9 straight since their opening game defeat to Syracuse. Should the Aztecs face and beat Arizona, they would make a major jump in the polls and step further into the national spotlight.
SDSU hopes to have leading scorer Jamaal Franklin back on the court. Franklin was rested in the last game against Point Loma Nazarene to help with a lingering back injury. While the Aztecs played well without him, he will be needed for the potential match up against #4 Arizona.
You can find more information about the Diamond Head Classic here.
More like this:
- SDSU beats Oklahoma, advances in NCAA Tournament — March 23, 2013
- Expectations high for Aztecs as they enter conference play — Jan. 9, 2013
- SDSU beats CSU Bakersfield, continues California winning streak — Jan. 3, 2013
- SDSU Aztecs down Point Loma Nazarene for ninth straight win — Dec. 19, 2012
- SDSU Aztecs beat USD Toreros for 8th straight win — Dec. 17, 2012