Jeff Smith noon, Aug. 30
- Community Blog
Tijuana police dogs live better than the average Mexican
Translated by Fulano from an article in EL MEXICANO.
TIJUANA - The 14 Belgian Shepards that make up the Canine Unit of the Municpal Police will consume 300,000 pesos (US$25,000) in food in the next six months, which means that each dog will cost 21,400 pesos (US$1,785) for the remainder of the current administration. This represents an expenditure of almost 900 pesos (US$75) per week for each dog.
That amount is in contrast to what households spend on food, which in some cases does not exceed 300 pesos (US$25) per week, due to the meager salaries earned.
According to the fiscal budget for 2013, which was approved by the city council, they are asking for 300,000 pesos (US$25,000) for the "purchase of food for the dogs in the Canine Unit," without specifying how many dogs there are.
Councilman Eduardo Enrique Parra Romero, president of the Public Safety Commission, said that there are 14 Belgian Shepards, which require an appropriate diet to maintain a high state of readiness.
"The food has to be balanced specially for these type of animals, as well as their care and training, the preparation is very different for the functions they perform," he said.
He confirmed that from the demonstrations performed by the Canine Unit, they are being prepared to help in rescuing people and detecting banned substances.
According to a survey by EL MEXICANO of mothers of households around Morelos Park, their weekly expenditures vary between 300 and 1,000 pesos (US$25 and $85), but this to feed up to five people.
That means that with what the police department spends on food for one Belgian Shepard, a family of five can survive for the same period.
More like this:
- Only 17 and he already killed 9 people — March 12, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: State Recognizes 900,000 BC Families Live in Poverty; Ministerial Police Equipped to Reduce Home Thefts — Jan. 15, 2013
- Tijuana man, deported from the US, kills his baby daughter because she was crying — Nov. 22, 2012
- Rosarito's problem with people deported from the United States — Sept. 22, 2012
- Girlie Dogs Need Not Apply to Sheriff's Canine Unit — Sept. 7, 2011