Garrett Harris 7 p.m., May 24
- Community Blog
Baja California Sur ministerial police beat a minor to get a confession
Translated by Fulano from an article in El Sudcaliforniano.
November 27, 2102 - Ciudad Constitución, Baja California Sur.- Mrs. Esmeralda Cepeda Talamantes appeared before this newspaper yesterday to complain about abuse of authority against her son, a 16-year old minor, by the commander and a ministerial policeman who are based in Puerto San Carlos, Baja California Sur.
The mother said that her son was taken and beaten early yesterday morning by members of the state ministerial police, under the command of Esaú Ricalday, who took the minor from the municipal police patrol.
The youth was detained as he was heading for his home by municipal police, who then took him to the ministerial police offices, where as he arrived the commander told him, verbatim, "how nice of you, I was looking for you and now you will see just who I am."
They handcuffed the minor and put him on his knees and then told him they were going to give him an opportunity to confess to the robbery of a laptop computer from the offices of the Harbormaster, urging him to sign a confession.
The minor, who accompanied his mother to the newspaper offices, said that while the ministerial police agents were beating him, he told them he had nothing to do with the robbery, but the ministerial police kept slapping him to get him to confess that he was the author of the crime.
It was at 10AM in the morning when his mother, Esmeralda Cepeda Talamantes, learned that her son had been detained and went to the Public Prosecutor's offices, where she could not find the chief Public Prosecutor, Omar Rubén González Rubio. According to his secretary, he had left for Cíudad Constitución.
She waited there until she spoke to her workplace at 11AM and asked her brother to come represent her as she had to go to work. It was not until 2PM that the minor was released.
The minor's mother said that her son was detained for almost 12 hours, and when they released him for lack of evidence, the commander said they would let him go, but that he should help in the investigation of who had stolen the electronic device.
More like this:
- Father of kidnapped Tijuana child says kidnapper is being protected by authorities — June 25, 2013
- Only 17 and he already killed 9 people — March 12, 2013
- Tijuana man, deported from the US, kills his baby daughter because she was crying — Nov. 22, 2012
- Rancho in Baja California Sur enslaves laborers — June 7, 2012
- Good Samaritan doctors rousted by Baja cops, so they pack up and fly home — March 12, 2012