Liz Swain 11:30 a.m., March 30
According to NBC Sports, Toronto-based sports personality Bob McCown of the Fan 590 reports that Philip Anschutz "has or will" purchase 35% of the Chargers. Billionaire Anschutz is angling to build an NFL stadium in downtown Los Angeles, and recently announced his desire to buy all or part of a team. This came at roughly the same time the Chargers said a piece of the team is for sale. McCown says the alleged Anschutz purchase is "apparently" the first step in the team's move to L.A. -- something, despite its denials, it has desired for a dozen years. Here's one that should scare Chargers fans: earlier, the team's spokesman Mark Fabiani said, "If AEG [Anschutz Entertainment Group] buys a piece of the team, then people have a right to be concerned."
More like this:
- Rams most likely to go to L.A. — Oct. 20, 2014
- Will Chargers leave for LA? Which newspaper d'ya read? — March 17, 2013
- Anschutz still wants foot in door — Jan. 20, 2013
- New Reality Means No Stadium — Aug. 17, 2011
- Alex Spanos and the Stadium Sham — Dec. 16, 1999