• Scam Diego alerts

Last week, Fox Business Network stationed a reporter for five consecutive hours at a small company in Gardena. The message was that Prop. 24, which would remove $1.7 billion in business tax breaks, would drive business out of California. One Fox reporter intoned, "the proposition was setting up businesses to be destroyed, quite frankly," according to the New York Times. But in all that air time, Fox never revealed that it had given $1.325 million to defeat the initiative. Fox should have disclosed its donation, said the head of the ethics chair for the Society of Professional Journalists. San Diego-based Qualcomm has given $1 million to defeat the initiative. According to MapLight.org, recent gifts by Qualcomm and biotech Genentech brought the opposition donations to $15 million, topping the supporters' $14.6 million.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 1, 2010 @ 2:17 p.m.

I will be honest, the judges that allowed this nonsense, the conservative wing of the SCOTUS in the Citizens United case, are the ones to blame, not Fox News.

Don't get me wrong, Fox News is no innocent angel either, but there are MANY deep pockets from both political parties doing this.

Those SCOTUS justices opened to floor gates to BIG special interest groups with pockets a million times deeper than the average Americian citizen. ONE special interest with deep pockets can now drown out MILLIONS of voices of average citizens.

And that makes the process unfair and unjust.

Founder Nov. 1, 2010 @ 2:57 p.m.

Reply #1 I'm with you 100%

We the People are being "bought Out" by Big Business thanks to the SCOTUS, thanks to GWB stacking the court!

Founder Nov. 1, 2010 @ 3 p.m.

Reply to Don B.

More "Fairness in Reporting" by FOX...

I used to think you needed to sign some type of paperwork showing you were of good and honest standing before you could own or operate a radio and or TV station, I guess now all you need is MONEY...

a2zresource Nov. 1, 2010 @ 3:49 p.m.

And here I was thinking that there was no activity in this economy...

Don Bauder Nov. 1, 2010 @ 9:18 p.m.

Response to post #1: Yes, giving corporations First Amendment rights made no sense -- except to the Republican court majority knowing the move would be helpful. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 1, 2010 @ 9:19 p.m.

Response to post #2: Too true. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 1, 2010 @ 9:20 p.m.

Response to post #3: I don't know about that paper a TV station owner had to sign. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 1, 2010 @ 9:22 p.m.

Response to post #4: I don't know how bribes to legislators or gifts to political campaigns prop up the GDP. Best, Don Bauder

nativesd Nov. 2, 2010 @ 8:54 a.m.

So Don,

Your "shock" at Fox reminds me of Casablanca's Louie finding out that Rick's featured gambling. Not in any way to condone such sleazy journalism, but it's gone on for ages, and without any assist from the Supreme Court. What's the difference between Fox pimping for one side and the UT, which sent out reporters for years to boost politicians whom Jim Copley showered with money (and UT staff at times)?! Or sports columnists touting new stadiums while Herb Klein chaired sports committees? At least today there's sufficient alternative media to point out these slanted coverages, even if the majority of voters aren't paying any more attention than they did a generation ago.

Don Bauder Nov. 2, 2010 @ 4:07 p.m.

Response to post #9: I agree 100%. There is essentially no difference between Fox blasting a proposition without saying it gave more than $1 million to defeat it and Herb Klein making sure the U-T slants the news for a ballpark and a stadium revamp that he had helped arrange and was openly lobbying for. I don't find much difference between Fox and the U-T -- then, or quite frankly, now. Ditto for the slanted journalism in favor of Jim Copley-backed candidates -- or David Copley-backed candidates.

Yes, the movie Casablanca had some great lines. One, as you point out, was "I'm shocked, shocked!" Another was "round up all the usual suspects." Another: "Play it again, Sam." (I'm not sure that's how the line went.) I only saw Casablanca once -- on TV, about 45 years after it came out. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 2, 2010 @ 7:39 p.m.

One of the best movies of all-time. And yes there are tons of great lines that come out o fit.......I particularly like the one at the end when Rick tells Captain Renault "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"....

BTW, that scene was filmed at the Van Nuys Airport, and the Hangar they film it at was just torn down a couple of years ago......................It is on Turner Classic Moview fairly often and I wathc it every time it comes on, must have seen it 100+ times.

I also watch the original 1977 "Star Wars" film when EVER it is shown on TV, I would bet I have seen it at least 500+ times.

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2010 @ 7:37 a.m.

Response to post #11: David Elliott would be ashamed of me. I saw Star Wars once and Casablanca once. Ask me about opera DVDs, however. Then you'll hear some big numbers. Best, Don Bauder

Founder Nov. 3, 2010 @ 1:25 p.m.

Reply #11 & #12 Costco has the StarWars Set and many other classics! May The Force Be With You Both

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2010 @ 8:39 p.m.

Response to post #13: Star Wars SET? I didn't know there were several Star Wars, but if I had thought about it, I would have known there would have been. As many as Rocky? Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 3, 2010 @ 11:50 p.m.

Don, you had better be kidding me about your lack of Star Wars knowledge!

It is the biggest movie franchise in film history with 6 films. At one time the first three films were all on the top ten list of all time.

The original Star Wars is still #4 of all time behind Avatar and Titanic and the latest Batman movie.

Best show ever, original Star Wars!

Founder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 7:56 a.m.

Reply #14 We should not fault you for not be knowledgeable about "everything"...

Suggestion: Get the movies on Netflix and after you watch them let us know what you think! I would suggest you watch #4 the original first and then if you are not totally impressed you can skip the others...

Looking back, movie tech and computer FX really changed during the filming, so the later movies are very different from the original!

BTW: If you have never seen "Brazil", I bet you might like that "Camp" movie of a possible future Earth City just like San Diego.. There is even two versions with the second being the "SPIN" release: http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Brazil/329815?strackid=c2127b2ed69bd06_0_srl&strkid=1869246314_0_0&trkid=222336#height2258

Founder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 7:58 a.m.

Reply #15 Ever see the original King Kong movie in black and white?

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 4, 2010 @ 12:29 p.m.

Ever see the original King Kong movie in black and white?

One of my ALL TIME favorite movies!!!!!!

King Kong was made in 1933 and was at least a decade or more ahead of it's time!

There is a hilarious (not done on purpose!) asian knock off of King Kong called "The Mighty Peking Man", and if you ever come across it you must watch it, hilarious in it's weak production values!!!

. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh-6-N8V0RU .

Founder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 5:22 p.m.

KONG, bum. bum, bum, KONG

KONG, bum. bum, bum, KONG

KONG, bum. bum, bum, KONG

and I loved the giant wooden bar that closed the gates...

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 9:36 p.m.

Response to poste #15: I'm not kidding. We see 2 or 3 movies a year and don't follow the industry. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 9:39 p.m.

Response to post #16: Check how much time I spend answering blog posts, and then figure I spend even more time working on my weekly columns, and you can figure why I don't watch Netflix. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 9:40 p.m.

Response to post #17: Obviously, I have seen photos of King Kong from the movie. I can't remember seeing it. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 9:42 p.m.

Response to post #18: There was a baseball player named King Kong Keller -- something like that. Seems to me he was an outfielder for the Yankees. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2010 @ 9:44 p.m.

Response to post #19: I have no evidence that the Yankee outfielder was a bum. Best, Don Bauder

Founder Nov. 5, 2010 @ 7:16 a.m.

Reply #19 I suggest you put all three above movies on your To Do List for the next time you want to view a great Movie or two or three... Best

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2010 @ 9:38 a.m.

Response to post #25: Yours is a good idea, but when push comes to shove, I am quite sure I will prefer an opera DVD. I must say, however, that we do have a DVD of Lawrence of Arabia, which my wife and I consider a magnificent film. Best, Don Bauder

Founder Nov. 5, 2010 @ 11:16 a.m.

Reply #25 Since we are speaking of "Greats", I think you might be interested in knowing that Lawrence of Arabia is also in my top ten along with those films mentioned above and the Godfather "Set"...

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2010 @ 6:49 p.m.

Response to post #27: I did see one and maybe two of the Godfather movies. They were good. Best, Don Bauder