• Scam Diego alerts

San Diego News Network (SDNN) informed its workers today (July 20) that it is going out of business. If there is an official closing date, it is unknown now. It's not clear if the Riverside County edition is going dark, but the San Diego edition will be, employees were told. On May 28, the online publication abruptly told its freelancers, who provided the bulk of the interesting copy, that they were through. Then SDNN said it would continue on with a skeleton staff. But predictably, it didn't last. Word began making the rounds today that it was informing the few who still worked for it that the publication was ending. I got the word from someone who worked for the publication and who was informed officially of the closure. I have checked the publication's website, and can't find any notification to its readers. I called Neil Senturia, who with his wife Barbara Bry ran the operation. I said I wanted an official explanation. He said, "I'll call you tomorrow." I said that I was a newsperson and had to post it right away. He didn't understand that, apparently, and hung up. Maybe that's one reason why SDNN has finally failed.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Founder July 20, 2010 @ 6:19 p.m.

Another nail in San Diego's NEWS coffin...

Founder July 20, 2010 @ 6:23 p.m.

Hey Don, How does it feel to be SD #1 News person (again)... Best

nan shartel July 20, 2010 @ 7:52 p.m.

this is just so scary...print news is sure taking a licking everywhere

Don Bauder July 20, 2010 @ 10:27 p.m.

Response to post #1: There will be more. Best, Don Bader

Don Bauder July 20, 2010 @ 10:29 p.m.

Response to post #2: I don't know that SDNN ever supplanted anybody. It had some good people, then sacked most of them. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 20, 2010 @ 10:31 p.m.

Response to posst #3: SDNN was online. They had planned to come out with a print pub in LJ and Del Mar, but I could never found out that they did. Best, Don Bauder

baudersanass July 20, 2010 @ 10:31 p.m.

Just keep posting those Seth Combs updates, bader -- ummm, Bauder. Nice reporting. Way to relish the continued demise of the news business.

Don Bauder July 20, 2010 @ 10:37 p.m.

Response to post #7: I had no idea who Seth Combs was. I found he was (or is) an anarchist and Luddite. So I guess that makes me an anarchist, Luddite and an ass. Well, others have described me with even more biting invective. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell July 20, 2010 @ 11:01 p.m.

At least you're not a pompous ass.

sdsocialdiary July 21, 2010 @ 6:04 a.m.

This is too bad for some of the writers. Joey Pena in particular was good, a good editor, and pleasant to deal with.

My question to you Don, have you spoken to the investors?

Don Bauder July 21, 2010 @ 7:33 a.m.

Response to post #9: Some have called me a pompous ass. Or did they say pampas grass? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 21, 2010 @ 7:37 a.m.

Response to post #10: Good point as always, Margo. I have never tried to get to the investors directly, other than Senturia and Bry. I have indirectly heard of investor unhappiness. I have to weigh the importance of pursuing that angle against other stories I am working on. Is it worth it? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 21, 2010 @ 10:25 a.m.

NOTE: SDNN SIGNS OFF WITH HEDGE: This morning, San Diego News Network finally said good-bye to its readers, but it appears to be hedging its bets. An item signed by the "SDNN team" reads: "With Gratitude. Thank you to our readers and advertisers for their support of SDNN. Our goal was to create a conversation with San Diego, and we appreciate your participation. The conversation was wide ranging, at times vociferous but always respectful. We hope the dialogue within the community continues unabated.At this time, we are exploring our options. Our other site, Southwest Riverside News Network (SWRNN.com) continues to grow, thrive and prosper."

SurfPuppy619 July 21, 2010 @ 4:14 p.m.

"Our other site, Southwest Riverside News Network (SWRNN.com) continues to grow, thrive and prosper."

Do you think their nose grew longer with that whopper???

Don Bauder July 21, 2010 @ 7:49 p.m.

Response to post #14: The Jacobs money SDNN received was probably aimed more at that Southwest Riverside County market. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi July 22, 2010 @ 8:08 p.m.

They had too many freelancers.

“If you think hiring a professional is expensive, try hiring an amateur.”

Don Bauder July 22, 2010 @ 8:24 p.m.

Response to post #16: Good axiom. Best, Don Bauder

Twister July 23, 2010 @ 10:31 p.m.

Can man live by axiom alone?

What sets pomposity apart from the herd?

What is a professional?

What does one call one who puts the buck first as opposed to one who puts the work first?

I look forward to more about journalism and less about pet peeves and idiotic insults, but please--don't be inhibited.

David Dodd July 23, 2010 @ 10:56 p.m.

"But Mr. or Ms. Moderator, please do not remove "inappropriate" posts, as they are invaluable indicators of the character of the posters. We have to have some indicator by which we can determine credibility."

The low-hanging fruit, my friend, that's the key. Some sling it, some pick it. I think that credibility comes from those to admit to it, in which ever way they deal with that low-hanging fruit. Mods remove what must be removed, they have to. This is what happens.

Don Bauder July 24, 2010 @ 6:55 a.m.

Response to post #18: Good points. I consider this not simply a sounding board, but a sounding off board. I have no problem with invective unless somebody is being libeled. However, I don't decide these matters. Our administrator -- who is very good -- makes the decisions. Sometimes I make suggestions, but the decision is his. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 24, 2010 @ 7:05 a.m.

Response to post #19: As I said, our moderator uses very good judgment. Best, Don Bauder

Founder July 24, 2010 @ 8:18 a.m.

Regarding #22

Pressing Freedom

I agree completely with you no one enjoys living in a zoo!

I like to read what others think and say but if it is too weird I go away.

Don sets a great tone for the rest, and finishes each with the "BEST".

So to all of you, I say, thank you for making my day!

BradleyFikes July 24, 2010 @ 11:16 a.m.

"Mr. Bauder sets a civilized tone in his stories and responses which generally does not provoke the wayward blogger."

Taking part in the comments as Don does helps a lot. I often hear reporters complain about comments on their stories being a snakepit of malice. But they don't comment on the stories to guide the discussion. A human being with a name that interacts with readers helps to cultivate interesting discussions. And the reporter may get story ideas.

Don Bauder July 24, 2010 @ 5:55 p.m.

Response to post #22: Yeah, but we have to push the envelope. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 24, 2010 @ 5:57 p.m.

Response to post #23: Does anything rhyme with weirdo? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 24, 2010 @ 5:59 p.m.

Response to post #24: My commenting on posts started as an experiment in late 2007. I enjoy it, but it's work. Best, Don Bauder

nan shartel July 25, 2010 @ 2:51 p.m.

weirdo???

i'd say zero...but that Founder aint!!!!

Chris_Keil July 25, 2010 @ 6 p.m.

I'm sorry to see them (SDNN) go. There aren't a lot of alternative online local news outlets and this makes one less. Too bad it didn't work out.

Don Bauder July 25, 2010 @ 8:16 p.m.

Response to post #28: You're a poet. Think of something that rhymes with weirdo. Near-dough? Beer-low? Spear-bow? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 25, 2010 @ 8:17 p.m.

Response to post #29: SDNN had some talented people. The crash came May 28 when they let most of them go. Best, Don Bauder

Twister July 26, 2010 @ 3:08 p.m.

Re 24:

Reporters, news bureaus, and other commercial interests would like to count your email as a "response" by way of boosting their "ratings," but really aren't interested in the content of your response. They are "too busy" to "answer every email." True, but they might be shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. Once people get the idea that they are ignored, they tend to realize that they have other things to do with their time than try to contribute information or to a useful dialogue.

Don is unusual in this respect, and even comments on digressions and other irrelevancies. If those of us who comment would try a bit harder to realize how difficult it is for Don to reply to us all, and keep our comments more relevant and brief, he might have the time to spend on longer responses of his own.

I'll try to follow my own advice.

Don Bauder July 26, 2010 @ 7:30 p.m.

Response to post #32: I appreciate your empathy. I enjoy answering the posts, but I am 74 years old, and I do write a weekly column, too. I spend a lot of time researching and writing those columns. Best, Don Bauder