• Scam Diego alerts

The unemployment rate for San Diego County jumped to 10.5% in June, up from a revised 10.1% in May, according to the Employment Development Department. The county lost 1,200 jobs during the month. Federal government employment was down 3,000, greatly reflecting census workers whose temporary jobs ran out. Leisure and hospitality jobs rose 2,000. Compared with June of last year, the county lost 12,500 jobs, down 1%.

On the national scene, the University of Michigan consumer sentiment index plunged to 66.5 in early July from 76 in late June, hitting the lowest level since August of last year. The stock market is down around 2.5%, partly on the consumer news.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 July 16, 2010 @ 1:16 p.m.

Now use the U-6 rate and it's 22%.

Take out the jobs that pay minimum wage or less than $10 an hour, then take out the jobs that have no benefits and ladt take out public employees and then the true private sector UE rate is emerges-90% I bet.

Don Bauder July 16, 2010 @ 3:46 p.m.

Response to post #1: I'll take that bet. Private sector unemployment, even including the low-paying, non-benefits jobs, is not 90%. As to San Diego, economist Kelly Cunningham (see post above), says that if you include San Diegans who have stopped looking for work because they can't find it, and are working part-time although they desire full-time jobs, the unemployment rate in the county is 18%. That figure was calculated before today's announcement, which wouldn't change it much. San Diego's unemployment rate rose from below 4% in late 2006 to 11.1% in January of this year -- an unprecedented near-tripling of the rate in only four years. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 July 16, 2010 @ 4:09 p.m.

That is the U-6 UE rate, and it is usually double the "OFFICIAL" U-3 UE rate, so 18% may be close, but a little low.

I was being sarcastic with the 90% claim, but If you do take out the gov employees, there are very few Californians making a decent living. The median annual private sector income is $33K.

Now how many in the private sector are making $50K or above, which would allow a comfortable, but not lavish, San Diego lifestyle??? It is not a high %%.

Don Bauder July 16, 2010 @ 10:17 p.m.

Response to post #3: There are government data on San Diego salaries, broken down by kind of work (dentist, bricklayer, etc.). I have had columns on that. I think the average (perhaps it's median) was around $45,000 two years ago. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 July 16, 2010 @ 11:11 p.m.

I would like to see the numbers if you can find the source.

Don Bauder July 17, 2010 @ 8:58 a.m.

Response to post #5: I will try to dig them out. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 18, 2010 @ 11:22 a.m.

NOTE TO SURFPUPPY: According to 2008 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary in San Diego was $47,250 at that time. That BLS report lists hundreds of occupations and their salaries for many metro areas. You can find it online. I have devoted at least two columns to statistics from that report, which you can find by going to the Reader search box. Dates: Feb. 17, 2010 and Sept. 23, 2009. Best, Don Bauder

a2zresource July 18, 2010 @ 1:15 p.m.

Personally, my private tutoring business is seeing an upturn lately, on minimal advertising (my "$5/hour" bulletin board posts at San Diego City College).

Curiously, I'm getting inquiries whether I can teach Algebra I/II to the point that non-students can jump into the system and challenge those courses through admissions testing ("Yes, I can!"). I've also been asked about and am doing pre-reading in Sociology, Psychology and Anatomy, all on projected Fall Semester enrollments. I suspect that students who skipped Algebra I in favor of direct enrollment in Statistics for Psychology will lead to rather lucrative group tutoring sessions in the Fall Semester as well.

I recently received happy news from my Mesa College algebra client regarding his acceptance into the competitive-admission radiology program there...

SurfPuppy619 July 18, 2010 @ 4:24 p.m.

Yes, I have a link to one of the articles I keep copied now that I see your number.

I am pretty shocked at the $47K. Obviously it includes gov jobs which skews the number upward, but that is still higher than I woudl have guessed, even accounting for gov jobs......

Don Bauder July 18, 2010 @ 9:48 p.m.

Response to post #8: If you're knowledgeable in algebra, sociology, psychology, and anatomy, I would say you qualify as a Renaissance Man. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 18, 2010 @ 9:50 p.m.

Response to post #9: If you go to the BLS data, you will be able to compare government salaries with those in the private sector -- in San Diego and in other metro areas. Best, Don Buder