• Scam Diego alerts

The new Union-Tribune management on Thursday told staff members that circulation and advertising are rising. (Some other metro dailies are reporting modest improvement in those measures, but analysts are not convinced the mild upturn will last. In any case, the big newspaper stocks have definitely bounced off the bottom in the post-March upwave.) The new management, hired by owner Platinum Equity, was critical of prior leadership at the meeting, according to good sources. A replacement for former editor Karin Winner is expected to be named soon. The library, photo lab, and editorial writers are preparing to move to the third floor from the fourth. The company expects to consolidate all operations on the second and third floors and rent out the other floors (This has been in the works for some time.) As reported on this blog, Platinum sold a building in Old Town once used for inserts. That function will now take place in the former management parking lot under the building. Managers will have to use the employee lot, which now has plenty of room.

Most importantly, the company may hire 25 part-timers -- possibly including some who were laid off, according to sources attending the staff meeting.

In other news, Editor & Publisher, the so-called bible of the newspaper industry, has been sold to boating magazine publisher Duncan McIntosh, two weeks after the magazine had been shut down. It will resume publication shortly.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

HellcatCopley Jan. 16, 2010 @ 7:12 a.m.

"The new management, hired by owner Platinum Equity, was critical of prior leadership at the meeting, according to good sources." Don, that line is just too juicy not to be more detailed. Shame on you. You mentioned in an earlier post that you were on the "management" payroll. Not exactly. You were paid as an "exempt" employee. By virtue of being a columnist, as opposed to a reporter, you were exempted from overtime requirements. Some columnists (and the editorial writers) were given access to the underground parking simply because it was determined that their positions merited it. The internal hand-wringing over you, Don, (and no offense) was whether you and similarly situated workers should be (dis)invited to the quarterly off site "Manager's Dialog." The idea was that people with direct reports were to attend so they could give the information to their employees (such as Jim Watters passing the results along to you). At times there were legitimate reasons to retract the invitation, as in the case where a person with direct reports no longer had them. But it took some spine from the next level up to sit down with the affected employee and say, “Sorry. No visit to the Big Hotel with doughnuts and business suits for you.”

Burwell Jan. 16, 2010 @ 10:25 a.m.

I highly doubt Bauder had access to underground parking while he worked at the U-T. Herb Klein would not even permit Bauder to have a key to the Executive Washroom.

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 16, 2010 @ 11:13 a.m.

DENVER, Jan. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Affiliated Media, Inc. today announced that it has obtained the approval of its lenders for a financial restructuring of the company that will sharply reduce its debt, boost its cash flow and allow greater financial flexibility. The plan will be implemented in the near future through a "prepackaged" chapter 11 filing.

Affliliated media has a number of papers in LA, like the Long Beach Press, Torrance Daily Breeze (wasn't this a Compley paper at one time).....Denver Post, Detroit News.....

David Dodd Jan. 16, 2010 @ 11:14 a.m.

25 part-time employees = 25 SDSU journalism students writing almost for free.

Anon92107 Jan. 16, 2010 @ 11:17 a.m.

This mornings edition tends to show that things haven’t changed much when it comes to covering up for “Flim-Flam Man” Sanders. The front page featured a “major” story on restoring the Balboa Park Plaza to the 1915 plaza state and getting rid of the parking.

I agree with restoring the plaza for 2015, but why was it put on the Front Page when there was a much more important story of Sanders continued betrayal of San Diegans stuck back in the Our Region section on “City’s first outsourcing move has foreign flavor.”

San Diegans desperately need the computer support jobs that that Flim-Flam and the SDGOP continue to “outsource” to India and Communist China.

But then after all, Sanders is a republican puppetician first and foremost, and loyalty to San Diegans is certainly not on his priority list, except to shovel more taxpayer monies to bloodsuckers like Spanos, McMillan et al. members of the Establishment.

I wonder if the U-T really has changed that much.

I was happy to read the "25 Part-Timers" might be hired back though, and hope it is a sign of the recovery of print news.

Don Bauder Jan. 16, 2010 @ 12:15 p.m.

Response to post #1: I had heard a little bit more on the criticism of past management, but I thought the specificity might be troublesome, so I left it out. Remember, I was getting it from a source. I was not there. As to whether I was on the management payroll: I was put on it when I was financial editor of the Union as well as financial columnist, circa 1973. Even before 1980, Helen Copley named me to the company's pension committee, on which I served until I retired in March of 2003. The other people on that committee were on the board. I can't imagine I would have been there if I had not been on the management payroll. Some time in my last few years I was made senior columnist; the title of financial editor was taken away and I didn't run the department anymore. However, I don't believe that my payroll status was changed to "exempt employee" at that time. If it was, I wasn't aware of it. As to those god-awful manager's dialog session; I usually went for the first hour. I never stayed the entire half-day. If I had been disinvited at some point, I was not aware of it. In sum, there was no doubt I was a pariah among those on the management payroll; a bunch of those above me were gunning for me. But I don't think my status was ever changed. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 16, 2010 @ 12:18 p.m.

Response to post #2: I was given the parking place at some point before Herb Klein showed up. At that time, I was already highly unpopular with the U-T editorial brass, but nonetheless I got the spot. I had requested it because I had bought a new car. Keys to the executive washroom? Lord, no. If they had given me the keys, they would have also given me a mop and told me to clean it each night. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 16, 2010 @ 12:19 p.m.

Response to post #3: Thanks for the tip: I researched it further and posted it above. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 16, 2010 @ 12:21 p.m.

Response to post #4: I could see the U-T hiring people to do spot news -- say, a PTA meeting somewhere -- for $25 or so. That has been done in the past. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Jan. 16, 2010 @ 12:23 p.m.

Response to post #5: Back when I was on the U-T -- maybe it was in the late 1990s -- I did a column on city computer jobs being outsourced to India. This has been around a long time. Best, Don bauder

Anon92107 Jan. 16, 2010 @ 1:09 p.m.

Response to post #10:

I guess you just proved my point: "--- things haven’t changed much ---"

The Establishment still rules the U-T, and the SDGOP version of Enron by the Sea still drowns San Diegans further and further into the sewerwater of the corrupt SDGOP politics of betrayal against the people of San Diego for the benefit of the bloodsuckers.

The culture of betrayal just keeps being perpetuated by a never-ending succession of sycophant U-T/SDGOP Mayors:

Golding to Murphy to Sanders

Don Bauder Jan. 16, 2010 @ 3:27 p.m.

Response to post #11: Definitely. The establishment still runs the U-T. Best, Don Bauder