• Scam Diego alerts

The city council's rules committee, meekly compliant to the mayor and his establishment puppeteers, on Wednesday (Jan. 13) ignored a proposal by the League of Women Voters to extend the trial period for strong mayor concept, rather than ask the voters to make it permanent. "They did not comment on it, did not reject it, did not approve it, they ignored it," says Norma Damashek, president of the league. "I think it was a violation of rules, regulations and procedures, a violation of due process," she says, and the league may request a hearing. Donna Frye, the one sensible member of the committee, had left before the vote. Only 3 committee members were there. They voted to suggest to the full council that voters in June make the strong mayor concept permanent and make a 2/3 vote necessary for the council to override a mayor's veto. It would also add a 9th council district. A representative of the mayor's office wanted any deliberation by the committee to be "shorter and quicker," says Damashek. "If our councilmembers have diminished authority, then the public loses out," says Damashek. "The public has become invisible. Where is the city council?"

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Visduh Jan. 15, 2010 @ 12:33 p.m.

Don, who were the three committee members at that meeting? Did all three vote in favor?

Don Bauder Jan. 15, 2010 @ 12:36 p.m.

Response to post #1: Ben Hueso was there and hastened things along. I don't know who the other two were. Yes, it was approved 3-0. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 15, 2010 @ 5:29 p.m.

I am confused, did anyone at the meeting yesterday ask Ben or the other two why the proposal was not discussed?... if no, why not???.....if yes, what was the response from Ben and the other two???

I mean if it were my proposal and I was there and it was ignored, I would ask the status of it and get the responses on the record.

Don Bauder Jan. 15, 2010 @ 5:54 p.m.

Response to post #3: I don't know if Damashek protested during the meeting. Best, Don Bauder

Dragonfire Jan. 23, 2010 @ 8:29 p.m.

Don, I like your writing. I would be interested in knowing if the general environment within the San Diego community favors the strong mayor form of government. I just started to research information regarding the subject. Thank you and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

www.cmrji.com

Don Bauder Jan. 24, 2010 @ 8:28 p.m.

Response to post #5: In theory, San Diegans want the strong mayor form of government. But they were grossly misled about what this concept really entailed. Best, Don Bauder