Ian Anderson 2 p.m., Oct. 22
Blackwater One of 15 Most Hated U.S. Companies
Blackwater Worldwide, the mercenary firm now named Xe Services LLC, has been named one of the 15 most hated companies in America by 24/7 Wall Street, the online column on MarketWatch. Blackwater was unsuccessful in its bid to place a training facility near Potrero in far East County, as residents rose up in wrath. However, it was successful in placing a firing range in Otay Mesa. Blackwater rates as the 7th most hated firm. The company was implicated in an event in which 17 Iraqis were killed. An American court recently cleared the company, but the Iraqi government plans to sue.
The companies, rated from the most hated, are the big government-owned insurer, AIG; United Airlines; Level 3, the nation's largest broadband network; Hertz; Citigroup; K-Mart; Blackwater; Dell; Abercrombie & Fitch; Chrysler; Dish Network, the satellite TV company; Rite Aid, the drug chain; Gibson Guitar; Forever 21, clothing retailer, and Sprint.
More like this:
- Remember Blackwater? Documents reveal it was a CIA extension — March 14, 2013
- Blackwater OK'd $1 Million Hush Payments to Iraqis: Reports — Nov. 10, 2009
- Blackwater Head Wants to Rid World of Muslims: Testimony — Aug. 4, 2009
- State Department Shields Blackwater — Sept. 26, 2007
- Blackwater License Being Pulled — Sept. 17, 2007