• Scam Diego alerts

Doug Page, columnist for the media news publication, News&Tech, says that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. may be the most likely buyer of the Los Angeles Times. Thanks to Matt Potter for sending along this clip. First, new creditors are about to take over the long-bankrupt Tribune Co., owner of the Times. Those creditors want to get out of the industry, says Page. Some big chains such as Gannett and McClatchy have too many problems to buy the Times, he says. L.A. moguls Eli Broad and David Geffen, or Platinum Equity, owner of the Union-Tribune, don't own the media assets needed to meet worldwide information demands, says Page. But Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. has links to Asia; owns the Wall Street Journal, printed by the Times, and could link the Times to its other properties in London, Australia, and Hong Kong. "News Corp. borrows Google's strategy -- expanding and consolidating its digital footprint and thus becoming indispensable," says Page. With the Times and News Corp.'s media properties all around the world, Murdoch could create a 24-7 news website that would be "a must-read for people across four continents, Europe, Asia, Australia, and North America," says Page. There are obstacles: Murdoch is under pressure from investors not to buy more newspapers, says Page. But "you never want to count Murdoch out."

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 2, 2010 @ 4:52 p.m.

Wow, the LA Times went BK within 6 months of being sold, and here we are selling it again.

I would imagine the HQ's in downtown LA go with the sale???? Awesome building in an awesome location right next door to City Hall, the new Police HQ's building and the federal court building.

Don Bauder Dec. 2, 2010 @ 9:17 p.m.

All these details would have to be worked out. Some suggest that the Chicago Tribune and LA Times would be sold as a package. I doubt that. I certainly doubt Murdoch would want the Trib. The Times makes sense. The creditors are willing -- maybe anxious -- sellers of media properties. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat Feb. 4, 2011 @ 10:17 p.m.

The Times building was up for sale in 2008, but then the economy hit the fan. The building is in a good location (1st and Spring) but it's old and outmoded. Imploding it and putting up a skyscraper might be the future for it, when the economy gets purring again. If Platinum bought the Times, maybe they'd just use the U-T presses, and they could put staffers in rented space. Much of the Times building is not even used any more. The Times top "execs" and accounting dept. are in Chicago. The old Hearst-owned Herald-Examiner building in downtown L.A. is a much nicer structure. Hearst spared no expense in building it a long time ago. It still sits empty, of course.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 4, 2011 @ 11:14 p.m.

The LA Times building is in one of the best downtown locations in LA, across from City Hall, new Police HQers, federal court-and the building from the outside is pretty cool, I have never been inside it though. I wonder if it has any landmark status attached to it.

WhatGoesAround Dec. 2, 2010 @ 5:16 p.m.

Rupert Murdoch -- the original "Crocodile" Dundee. Scorpion on the barbie, anyone? As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Murdoch belongs in the Media Hall of Shame. The British government announced its draconian defunding (dismantling) of higher education and UK social welfare programs a few weeks ago, and shortly afterward Mr. Murdoch held a news conference to wholeheartedly endorse the plans. He's very, very scary.

Don Bauder Dec. 2, 2010 @ 9:20 p.m.

The LA Times in the early days was the spittin' image of Murdoch's Fox TV -- all slant, no news, nothing but rightwing propaganda. Then Otis Chandler made it into a reliable publication. I wonder if it would go back to the old days if Murdoch bought it? Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 2, 2010 @ 9:38 p.m.

The LA Times in the early days was the spittin' image of Murdoch's Fox TV

Like 100 yuears ago.

Ottis Chandler made the LA Times into the best daily paper in the nation IMO. I preferred it in the 80's and 90's over the NYT. You were really the best part of the UT back then-and I always wondered why you stayed at the UT when I thought you could be at an LAT or NYT paper.

Don Bauder Dec. 3, 2010 @ 10 a.m.

I spent 9 years with Business Week before coming to the SD Union in 1973. With BW, I was always out in the bureaus, although I spent a lot of time in NY. Fear of getting transferred or promoted to NY was a major reason I came to SD. I have never desired to live in NY or LA. On the other hand, neither the LA or NY Times ever offered me a job, either. Best, Don Bauder