• Scam Diego alerts

The firefighters union in Philadelphia has blamed a child's death on the city's brownout policy -- temporary closings of fire stations. An Aug. 7 fire took the life of a 12-year-old child in Philadelphia, and firefighters union officials blamed the brownout for the death. This follows a similar experience in San Diego. On July 20, a 2-year-old boy choked on a gumball. One fire engine at the closest station was out of service because of the cutbacks. Frank De Clercq, president of the local firefighters union, said that a firefighter might have been able to save the boy. Across the nation, San Diego, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Sacramento, and Philadelphia have inaugurated brownouts because of budget deficits. Unions are resisting.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 11, 2010 @ 12:27 p.m.

If they forced the FF's into a REASONABLE comp package there would not be any so called brownouts.

Everytime some public safety yahoo made this bogus argument I would come back with the pay cut solution, to a reasonable level, to fix the problem.

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2010 @ 1:28 p.m.

Response to post #1: And if you came back with a pay cut solution, you would get the argument that the FFs are worth every penny, and deserve even fatter pensions. You see it on this blog, SP. Best, Don Bauder

Dennis Aug. 11, 2010 @ 2:15 p.m.

I never see anything in these discussions about where the private ambulances that operate in the city are. One of the reasons that FF have to go on all medical runs is that the private ambulances only have one paramedic per ambulance, the driver is not certified to save the contractor money. The County regulation require two paramedics to respond to medical calls. This is one of the reasons you always see a fire truck respond & then the ambulance shows up usually later. Why aren't the private ambulances required to meet the two paramedic requirement?

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2010 @ 3:14 p.m.

Response to post #3: Excellent question, and I don't have an answer to it. Best, Don Bauder

a2zresource Aug. 11, 2010 @ 4:30 p.m.

Discussions I have had with firefighters locally inform me that engines and trucks with fewer firefighters assigned are most likely to have increased workman comp claims.

Another point made was that the reason there is so much overtime pay going out is that there are not enough firefighters at not enough fire houses in San Diego. It was recently in the news that San Diego is short some 20 fire houses not yet built, and it appears that none of the $6 billion difference in the proposed TI CAP increase to $9 billion will not go to public safety.

SOMEBODY is gonna get a brand new multi-billion-dollar facility downtown. Whether it's Comic-Con or the Chargers, I can't tell.

nan shartel Aug. 11, 2010 @ 4:59 p.m.

4...i like to know the answer if u can find out Don...no hurry...

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2010 @ 7:35 p.m.

Response to post #5: What makes you think it will be EITHER Comic-Con or the Chargers gettin largesse while the city burns? The establishment wants BOTH to get their handouts. It's time for San Diegans to stop them. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 11, 2010 @ 7:37 p.m.

Response to post #6: Here's my philosophy on that: I have probably answered close to 6,000 posts since 2007, maybe more. If I know the answer to a question off the top of my head, I give it. If I know where I can find it easily, I do so. But in a case that would require some time to research, I hope that somebody else on the blog knows the answer. Remember, I am 74 years old. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 11, 2010 @ 8:34 p.m.

JustClueless and his alter ego JF have given me so much brain damage here I feel like 100!

David Dodd Aug. 11, 2010 @ 9:03 p.m.

Look at it this way: This citizens of San Diego are going to have a new library so they can read downtown while their houses burn down! Always look on the bright side, folks ;)

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2010 @ 7:01 a.m.

Response to post #9: Feeling like someone 100 goes with the territory. You have chosen your path and you have to live with being the target of your enemies. I know how you feel, believe me. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 12, 2010 @ 7:03 a.m.

Response to post #10: San Diego will probably pass a law that those in the library must not turn pages loudly lest they upset those watching the game at nearby Petco. Best, Don Bauder

TheGunny Aug. 13, 2010 @ 5 p.m.

Guys, here's a perspective from a guy on the 'tailboard.

1. Pension reform needs to happen now. No bull from this fireman, it's gotta happen. We've been taking pay cuts and have seen 50/50 come into play and we're all still in the pot. Jerry and Co need to re-prioritize the C St agenda.

2. The Paramedic staffing issue was set in stone long before I was hired. I do know that my engine co gets on scene about 40% of the time faster than the ambulance, but we also have Sharp Memorial Hosp in our district, so we get ambulances faster than most. A possible answer is that Paramedics cost more and Rural/Metro does not want to pay/hire them? Dunno, it's waaay above my paygrade.

3. OT has been about 90% eliminated for Capt and below, but not so for Batt Chiefs. Don't know what the cost savings is there, but it should be substantial.

4. As far as increased claims if we short staff, it's to be seen, but I know as a Paramedic I will be working harder with less hands on scene. It really helps out on most calls.

We all know that the C Street Crew is going to payoff the Corky's and land munchers so Jerry can complete his "Edifice Complex" prior to being termed out. It truly saddens me when people die, but hate the tactic of using a dead little kid. That's true crap on a plate.

My 2c

David Dodd Aug. 13, 2010 @ 5:44 p.m.

@ #13: Hope you run for mayor someday. My guess is that you'd get a lot of votes. Props for your honesty.

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2010 @ 8:58 p.m.

Response to post #13: Agreed: using the dead child as a pretext to achieve a labor union's aims is not kosher. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 13, 2010 @ 9 p.m.

Response to post #14: Yes, TheGunny makes much sense, but what are his other qualifications for mayor? Best, Don Bauder

TheGunny Aug. 13, 2010 @ 9:13 p.m.

Can't do it, I'm too much of a realist. Got a bad habit of callin' a spade a spade with colorful verbage (got that from 20 years in the Marines). Besides I have a waaay too sensitive BSometer.

David Dodd Aug. 13, 2010 @ 9:15 p.m.

@ #16: For one thing, he seems to be an honest man. For another, he's never expressed any desire to run that I've seen ;)

I'm a Platonist, Don. I want people in office that are smart enough to not want to be there :)

David Dodd Aug. 13, 2010 @ 9:21 p.m.

Gunny, you change your mind, I'll volunteer time toward your campaign, I appreciate your service to your country and your intolerance of BS. At this point, I'm pretty certain that San Diego is sick of politicians and would welcome a no nonsense Mayor in a New York minute.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2010 @ 7:43 a.m.

Response to post #17: Some people just aren't cut out for politics. Honest people, for example. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2010 @ 7:48 a.m.

Response to post #18: Well, many of today's politicians are smart enough to hoodwink their constituencies by spending public money on stupid, vote-buying projects -- knowing that by the time the whole edifice collapses, they will be in another higher or more remunerative job. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2010 @ 7:50 a.m.

Response to post #19: In re that New York minute: New York has its share of BS-spewing politicians, too. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2010 @ 1:37 p.m.

Response to post #23: Among several things, you have to be a bit corpulent. I can think of a couple in recent years matching that requirement, but one obese guy who lost to a skinny one. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 14, 2010 @ 5:19 p.m.

Do you have to show qualifications to become Mayor ?

Yes, you need to be appointed to run the United Way, and then do a stint with the Red Cross for a year or two......And maybe do a stint as an appointed police chief.

Then you're qualified.