• Scam Diego alerts

Look who’s backing the May 19 ballot measures, specifically the Yes on 1A campaign being waged by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger: The San Francisco Giants and Oakland A’s, along with the Golden State Warriors, San Jose Sharks, L.A. Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers. So report Matier & Ross in today’s San Francisco Chronicle.

The teams aren’t exactly in it for good government:

“…if Prop. 1A fails, the teams fear that Schwarzenegger and the Legislature will impose taxes on tickets to sports and other entertainment events to help bail out California.

“’No one pitched it to us that way directly,’ said one sports executive who asked not to be named. ‘But we all know they were thinking about taxing us before the measure went on the ballot.’

“The idea is: Better to help now than get hit later.

"As for why everyone gave $25,000?

"'After one team agreed to give $25,000, everyone did,' our sports exec said.

"The Anschutz Entertainment Group - which owns the Los Angeles Galaxy soccer team, the Los Angeles Kings hockey team and Los Angeles' Staples Center - gave $125,000."

As we’ve previously reported, Chargers owner Alex Spanos, who's been shopping around for the best taxpayer subsidy he can get, has already kicked in $100,000.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 May 11, 2009 @ 8:50 p.m.

Props 1A - 1F are DOA and nothing can save them.

They are actually LOSING ground as we get closer, despite a $50 million dollar advertising scam by the Teacher and Firewhiner unions.

SanDiegoParrothead May 11, 2009 @ 11:54 a.m.

PLease! Please! Please!

Vote No on Props 1A - 1F

Visduh May 11, 2009 @ 12:41 p.m.

If you had any lingering doubts that these ballot props are special-interest actions, this revelation should take care of it. But have those pro sports teams EVER been for good government? Only when it didn't work to their disadvantage. And let me get this right: if I buy a baseball or glove, I pay this current sky-high sales tax on it. But if I spend the money on a Padres ticket and watch its multimillionaire players use a ball and glove, that isn't taxed. Can somebody 'splain that to me?

monaghan May 11, 2009 @ 7:47 p.m.

For me, the only sure NO vote has to be 1F. The League of Women Voters is neutral on that one, probably because it is not ladylike to overtly punish our state legislators by refusing them raises, I don't know. But the League actually suggests VOTE NO on 1A, 1C, 1D and 1E, and it's neutral on 1B as well as 1F. By my reckoning that means the uber-thoughtful and responsible League of Women Voters is suggesting a total pass on the May 19 ballot, so don't feel bad about just getting out there and VOTING NO on that whole bunch of propositions. Let's see if the Legislature can actually govern instead of passing off every bad idea that comes along to a popular vote in an expensive special election.

monaghan May 12, 2009 @ 7:52 a.m.

Oh the horror: I meant to say the only sure positive vote in the coming statewide election has to be YES for 1F -- where we get to punish CA legislators by refusing them pay raises during times of deficits.
So, YES on 1F and NO on 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 1E. And if anyone challenges your responsible citizenship, you're covered. Just say, the League of Women Voters (or the Howard Jarvis people) made me do it.

paul May 12, 2009 @ 8:35 a.m.

Surfpuppy,

Don't underestimate the advertising campaign to blind the sheep, and don't underestimate the ability of the unions to rally their troops to go vote in an off-cycle election. The percentage of union voters will be disproportionately high, and the percentage of people that have absolutely no concept that 1A has anything to do with extending taxes is alarmingly high as well.

I dearly hope that people get it, but I won't be surprised if one or more pass. For goodness sakes, that ridiculous high-speed rail bill even passed when everybody knew the economy was going into a deep recession.

SurfPuppy619 May 12, 2009 @ 5:45 p.m.

Surfpuppy,

I have heard this more than once-the tide could turn.

It won't, and I'll tell you why. The gov employees have gone to the well too many times for tax increases and the well is dry-and even the blind sheep know that today.

The fact is over 50%, the majority, of all voters are "absentee" voters, they vote by mail. Myself included.

The vast majority of the absentee voters have mailed in their ballots, I mailed mine 2 weeks ago.

The props were losing 2 weeks ago, and they are losing more ground everyday. Even with a HUGE turn around it will be too little, too late because the majority of votes have been already cast.