Various Authors 9:18 p.m., Feb. 7
If You Get Pitch from L.A. Company called Property Tax Reassessment, Call the D.A.
People in San Diego County and throughout the state are getting a dubious pitch from a company called Property Tax Reassessment. For a fee of $171, it says it will help you get a reduction in property taxes if the market value of your home has fallen below its assessed valuation. But you can do this free through the County Assessor's office. There are lots of companies who solicit such business. But this one is particularly noxious, because the pitch is made to look like it is coming from a state agency. Also, it warns that if you don' respond to the notice, you will be assessed a $57 late fee. "It is making it appear to the taxpayer that this is something that is required of them, and it appears to be coming from a state agency," says Jeff Olson, chief of assessment services in the County Assessor's Office. In similar cases, "we ask for some type of disclaimer saying that a company is not a government agency and that the service is available at no cost through the San Diego County Assessor's office," says Olson. There is no such disclaimer from this mailing. The matter has been turned over to the district attorney's office for investigation. People receiving the pitch may call 619-531-4070.
More like this:
- Tax and media intrigue envelope massive Mission Valley hotel deal — March 3, 2015
- Local real-estate tax hike totals less than a half percent — Dec. 13, 2013
- Property tax revenues up, but short of blistering recent sales numbers — July 3, 2013
- Property Tax Reassessment Firm Still at It, but under Investigation — May 18, 2009
- How to Avoid Taxes, Cruise European Seas — Jan. 18, 2007