• Scam Diego alerts

Former San Diego Charger Benjamin Leon Coleman (Ben Coleman), 36, pleaded guilty today (Dec. 13) to submitting phony loan applications, using a false social security number, identity theft, and tax evasion. The U.S. Attorney's office prosecuted the case. Between mid-2005 and January of this year, Coleman successfully received bank loans and lines of credit after supplying names of phony companies with which he was supposedly associated. He also applied for loans using a false name and social secuity number. He will be senenced Feb. 29, 2008.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Don Bauder Dec. 13, 2007 @ 8:03 p.m.

Response to post #1: Fumber, I sense you didn't like that post. Why don't you say what you actually believe? Best, Don Bauder

Anonymous Dec. 13, 2007 @ 9:10 p.m.

I agree, in a more diplomatic way, with Fumbler. This really wouldn't be news if it weren't a former Charger player involved. There may be a lot of reasons not to like the Spanos Goofs (as the LA Times calls the family) and the effort to garner public money for a new stadium. But this legal case has nothing to do with any of that.

Don Bauder Dec. 13, 2007 @ 9:55 p.m.

Response to post #3: When the U.S. Attorney released the news, it identified Coleman as a former Charger in the lead, to wit, ...."Benjamin Leon Coleman, a former San Diego Charger...." Maybe in your and fumber's eyes, we are all guilty, particularly on the day in which the big steroid investigation came out. Best, Don Bauder

paul Dec. 14, 2007 @ 3:12 p.m.

fumber,

The decidedly pro-Chargers UT published a longer article that emphasized the Chargers even more. I can only assume you now think that the UT is "assholier" than the Reader?

sdblogger,

I didn't read any reference to Spanos or the stadium drive in either this blog or the UT story on this topic. Why insert an issue that isn't related, and then complain that it is not related?

Don Bauder Dec. 14, 2007 @ 5:44 p.m.

Response to post #5: Yes, and Voice of San Diego printed the Coleman story prominently, too, with reference to his being a former Charger. This is the downside, perhaps, of being a former pro athlete or actor/actress. You can't expect anonymity once your career is over. Yes, my post did not mention anything about the stadium or the Spanos family. But fumber knows that I oppose corporate welfare for billionaires. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Dec. 14, 2007 @ 5:47 p.m.

Response to post #6: Fumber, I have never seen anyone walking on his hands to read the Reader. But if you have seen such a feat, who am I to question you? Best, Don Bauder

paul Dec. 15, 2007 @ 8:50 a.m.

From Wikipedia: "A troll is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line discussion forum with the singular intention of baiting users into an argumentative response."

How quaint. We have the very definition of a classic, old-school troll right here in our midst. It is rare to still see one in such a pristine state, showing a complete lack of the sophistication that has become evident in even the most neophyte of modern trolls.

"more assholier than thou media vomit"? "you get points for having the worlds worst name"?

That is so cute!

I'm calling National Geographic, we need to document this!

Don Bauder Dec. 15, 2007 @ 12:30 p.m.

Response to post #9: I confess, I do argue with fumber sometimes, so possibly I am guilty of taking the bait of a troll. His unceasing references to unpleasant body functions and parts do divert my attention: instead of answering his plaint, I tease him about his playground language. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Dec. 15, 2007 @ 9:06 p.m.

Response to post #11: Troll is also a verb used in a particular kind of fishing. Fishermen troll with bait. So do crooks. Best, Don Bauder

paul Dec. 16, 2007 @ 6:43 a.m.

Response to #13:

Done! You can now call me Lazarus.

Don, of course, is correct that an internet troll is a fishing reference. It is coincidental that the homonym you sited from Scandanavia also happens to apply to many internet trolls.

Don Bauder Dec. 16, 2007 @ 12:25 p.m.

Response to post #13: If everyone named Paul returned to the womb, then we can expect star athletes like Paul Hornung to reappear in about 18 years. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Dec. 16, 2007 @ 12:27 p.m.

Response to post #14: Lazarus Hornung? An athlete? Best, Don Bauder