Various Authors 4:58 p.m., May 28
Coronado: Healthy burgers at the hospital?
Well, there is plenty of lettuce...
On the island a lot recently. Carla’s seeing somebody from her childhood who's been in hospital here a couple of weeks.
“Got to eat healthy,” says Carla as we head outside.
“Why not eat here?” I say. "Hospital eateries must be healthy, right?"
Two minutes later we’re in Kathy’s Place (inside Sharp Coronado Hospital, 250 Prospect Place, 619-522-3600 ), ordering…uh, burgers.
We meant to order nuts and twigs, but it’s past 2:30 and now they only have the grill.
So, whole hog, order two bacon cheeseburgers ($3.69 each, pretty good), fries ($1.29), and yes, onion rings ($1.49).
Da boiger: "Eat me!"
“We’ll walk it off,” says Carla, like she means it.
Then we bite in. Oh wow. Juicy, and stuffed with lettuce, tomatoes. Actually tastes quite healthy. Okay, the fries and onions are just plain sinfully luscious.
We come out, okay, bloated.
“This is our meal for the day,” says Carla.
“How can something so bad make you feel so good?” I say.
“We could always sue the hospital for all the cholesterol they forced on us,” says Carla.
"Start walkin'" I say.
More like this:
- Spanish red and the blow-out burger — Sept. 20, 2013
- Coronado: fungi for lunch — May 14, 2013
- Coronado street taco wars: Costa Azul steps up to the plata! — April 2, 2013
- Monkey see, monkey brew: Center City’s Monkey Paw — March 25, 2013
- Eat hearty, eat arty: gyros hit Coronado — March 4, 2013