Robert Bush noon, Nov. 29
Déjeuner at Tar-Jay
Bet there are a lot of hidden places like this.
Bargain food basements in big department stores.
Right now I'm here at Tar-Jay. Discovered a perky little place near the cards section called the Target Café (1288 Camino del Rio North, Mission Valley, 619-542-0025). Red and white and also with a Pizza Hut Express folded into the biz. But it's mainly for Target products they sell in their food section.
This is we're you'll find Brittany and Desirae working the counter.
Point is, it's a deal here. I've jes' finished up a chicken marinara flatbread, with chicken, cheese and tomato and marinara sauce and basil in a folded pita bread.
The chicken marinara flatbread
With it I got a tomato basil soup for $2.99.
Brittany hands me my soup
If I'da got the combo with a soda, it would have been $2.49 and $3.49. But the soup acts as the drink, and the pool you dip your pita into as well.
I like it. Cheery place, cheery gals.
Half the customers seem to be Target employees needing a break.
Note to Carla: They have all-beef hot dogs, or Italian sausage dogs going for $2.19.
Almost as good as 7-Eleven.
Except here you can sit down. Kind of blessing for all the miles you're going to tramp in here...
More like this:
- Ikea: Free Lunch? No. Free Breakfast, Yea! — March 12, 2012
- Promotional Tie-Ins 101 — March 6, 2012
- Unexpected Beatles Art: Fab 4 Turns Up in the Oddest Places — Feb. 11, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game III: The List is Life — Feb. 2, 2012
- The Crazy Credits, Crawls, and Cautionary Warnings Quiz — Sept. 30, 2011