• Feast! alerts

“Good sex?” says John. “Oysters, not clams. But these clams are deliciously briney.”

John and Angie run this first mobile food truck dedicated to fresh seafood that I’ve seen.

And it’s not just fish and chips. Hey, it’s not even fish and chips. The board reads like a fish joint’s specials in La Jolla. Starting with steamed Maine lobster (up near the $25 mark)...

None

...dropping to sautéed calamari ($8), oysters on the half-shell ($2 each), and littleneck clams ($1.50).

Then they have fuller plates like orange ginger halibut ($12, with “cobbettes” – half cobs of corn - and slaw), and stone crab salad ($12). All from a food truck!

None

I’ve come across this husband and wife team here...

None

...at the Third Friday food truck event that 57 Degrees (1735 Hancock Street, Middletown-Mission Hills, near Washington Street Blue Line trolley station; 619-234-5757) sponsors every month ($2 to get in).

Their Ocean Beach Seafood truck has its side panels, where you usually get your salt and pepper and Cholula sauces, turned into an iced seafood display, with everything from oysters and cockles and mussels and squid to one big yellowtail tuna, along with live lobsters awaiting their fate (no, let’s not think about that).

None

“And everything is sustainably raised,” he says. “I come from Seattle. We’re pretty green up there.”

“We started this because when we came down we were quite surprised at the lack of good seafood,” Angie says. “We live in OB and OB sustains us. We love it.”

None

And yes, except with salmon (which they can’t always control), they guarantee there are no hormones or antibiotics in their fish.

So to promote my sex life and get that briney flavor I love, I order two oysters and two clams. John shucks them then and there. He has a wedge of lemon and that’s that.

None

But it’s enough.

“We don’t like to drown our seafood in sauces or batter,” says John. “They screw up the natural flavors.”

Actually they do have a cocktail sauce you can put on the oysters. “It’s made from tomato sauce, horseradish, lemon and garlic,” says John. “The rest’s secret.”

Whatever, just tangy enough.

“And clams should have garlic and butter,” adds Angie.

Next time I’ll have something more serious. Like that orange ginger halibut.

None

Right now people are taking their lobster and halibuts and stone crab salads back up to the 57 Degree lounge. It’s fine to eat in there, listen to the live band, so long as you glug a glass of their wine or beer, I guess.

Whatever, oyster, clam or just for the halibut (heh heh), I leave feeling a little fuller and a lot friskier.

Hope they’ll be back next month.

• Feast! alerts

Comments

Ian Pike July 24, 2012 @ 4:02 p.m.

How were the clams compared to the oysters, when eaten side by side? I am still very up in the air on clams as a raw bar oyster alternative. I have found that they often lack the briny subtlety of an oyster. It seems like clams benefit from being doused in salty sauces and stuff (like they do at the Kiko's truck) rather than being served raw.

I mean, it's true that cherrystone and littleneck clams are raw bar staples just about everywhere, but I just can't help but feel that they play second fiddle to the other guys.

Thoughts?

Ed Bedford July 25, 2012 @ 2:55 a.m.

Truth is I don't know a whole lot about them. But no contest: the oysters have that clear, brine thing going, and just feel more luxurious. The other day, down at the Culinary Arts School in TJ, this student chef Jose Figueroa offered me what he called goose barnacles. Except he found he had run out.

Have you had these? How different from clams? He says they called them "goose barnacles" because back in the day, like, the medieval day, folks believed that geese actually hatched from them. Or, more likely to me, they called them that because they have these long “necks.”

Today, they mostly call these goose-neck barnacles. Or in Spanish, percebes. Seems they’re a Pacific coast thing. The “neck” – like a 3-inch kinda thumb – is what looks rubbery but is tender and sweet, so Jose says. He just boils them and adds a bit of lemon, basically.

I longed to eat the danged thangs. Have you ever had them?

Ian Pike July 25, 2012 @ 11:34 a.m.

I have not but I would definitely like to. Any idea where we can get them?
Strangely enough, I have heard of the medieval legend about geese growing aquatically. Not sure how that came about, but there are some rather hilarious illustrations from old illuminated manuscripts!

Ed Bedford Aug. 3, 2012 @ 1:47 a.m.

I'll stick my neck out and look around for some...love to see those manuscripts

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 3, 2012 @ 6:03 p.m.

Heh heh, when I saw the headline "Clams of the Run," I was expecting a riff on the old running joke in the BC comic strips..."Clams Got Legs!"

None

Mercy Baron Aug. 3, 2012 @ 11:05 p.m.

The food from this truck just rocks. Have eaten from them several times, and have never been disappointed at the level of freshness of their fish, and the bold, flavorful presentation of their fish plates. Have never been a raw oyster fan, but decided to try again after many years & am now hooked! Love a little lemon & and their homemade cocktail sauce on them. A welcome and healthy addition to the truck food nation!

discdude Aug. 9, 2012 @ 8:45 a.m.

quite surprised at the lack of good seafood

Blue Water, Fishery, PB Fish Shop, Bay Park Fish Co, Tin Fish, Pt Loma Seafoods

Still interested in trying this, but find more and more food trucks are less and less good.