Don Bauder 5:40 p.m., Sept. 15
Gone! Last Dollar Coffee in S.D.?
Shock! Horror! $1 coffees - and that's for medium coffees, the most popular size -are gone at Cafe Madrid!
Café Madrid is one of my favorite Coronado hangouts. Okay, it's a coffee cart. But, far as I know, it was the last one-buck chuck holdout of the coffee woild.
Now it's $1.50.
Of course, you can still get $1 small. But that's never quite enough.
Luis Madrid, who has owned this coffee cart outside Bay Books in Coronado (1029 Orange Avenue) for 15-20 years, held out till everyone, including his coffee supplier Caffé Calabria, said "You're crazy!" And maybe space rent went up too.
Whatever, medium coffee's now $1.50, small's $1, the large, $2, and extra large, $2.50.
But Amy, who's running the cart today, has a solution.
Amy, the barista
She says your best bet is to get the $1.50 medium, and then buy a refill, which is still 50 cents. So, hey, two cups, average, $1 each. Who says you can't beat the system?
Anybody know any coffee cart with $1 coffees?
I've got a $1.50 coffee riding on this.
More like this:
- Ikea: Free Lunch? No. Free Breakfast, Yea! — March 12, 2012
- Take Your Valentine to a Movie! — Feb. 14, 2012
- Unexpected Beatles Art: Fab 4 Turns Up in the Oddest Places — Feb. 11, 2012
- Nunzia's Meat Loaf, With Poetry — Feb. 9, 2012
- It's all French at Jason’s Coffee Cart — Feb. 7, 2012