• Feast! alerts

My friend S wanted to meet for lunch in La Mesa. But that wouldn’t be ‘til noon, and I needed a place to get some work done in the meantime. S sent me to Cosmos Coffee Café. I expected something diner-ly and full of old men playing checkers, but what I found was a hip coffee shop atmosphere where the youngsters (did I just say that?) behind the counter are cute, the art on the bathroom wall is colorful, and the Wi-Fi does not require a password.

Image

Fun art on the bathroom wall.

Image

Sam

I ordered coffee and a pastry from Sam. He told me their best seller is the danish but that I should try the pecan roll. So I did. It was a good choice for flavor — the pecan crunch along with the sticky goo on top and the soft, warm bread beneath went perfectly with the black coffee — but the super stickiness made it not so good for working between bites.

Image

Though the place was fairly busy when I arrived shortly after 9:00 a.m., I did find a table, and by 10:00, it had quieted down. At noon, however, a long line formed in front of the counter once again.

Image

The quiet hour.

Busy or not, Cosmos is the kind of place where the management is lax enough to let a girl hang out with her laptop for hours at a time. And with my own earphones, I was able to focus on my work even with that gosh-darn rock-and-roll they played overhead.

Total bill: $3.75

• Feast! alerts

Comments

Radical Uterus Feb. 7, 2012 @ 4:43 p.m.

I know my food intake will eventually end in an excretory experience,reminding me of it does not entice me to go there.

Elizabeth Salaam Feb. 8, 2012 @ 9:14 a.m.

This from someone who calls herself "Radical Uterus." :-)

Radical Uterus Feb. 8, 2012 @ 11:45 a.m.

What, I'm supposed to like to be reminded of the ugly truth of my existance. It's not pretty down there, and at times can become downright nasty in many ways. Associating that area with the pleasure of good food, bursts through the barrier of my denial. Denial is powerful stuff. In fact thinking about sticky buns and bathroom art require all my powers of denial. The olfactory triggers alone are nauseating. Brown skid marks in a bowl, yellow unidentified stains, lingering odors, the sticky buns and the art cannot be good enough.

Radical Uterus Feb. 8, 2012 @ 3:51 p.m.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL this is not a competition. It is an exhibition.

Scott Marks Feb. 8, 2012 @ 5:21 p.m.

I frequently use my sticky bun to create bathroom art.

richzombie Feb. 9, 2012 @ 10:45 a.m.

esalaam ..it sounds like a nice place for coffee and a snack - going to check it out - thank you