Garrett Harris noon, Aug. 3
Food Truck Fundraiser for Alice Birney Elementary School
The New Vision Christian Church in University Heights is hosting a food truck rally today from 3:30 to 7 p.m. to raise money for the neighboring Alice Birney Elementary School which was heavily damaged by an arsonist last month.
Investigators said the fire was started with a flammable liquid in an office and spread into the cafeteria, kitchen, and guidance offices, causing $600,000 in damage.
According to Birney Elementary Principal Amanda Hammond-Williams, the estimated cost to replace all the before and afterschool materials destroyed in the fire is $50,000.
Birney Elementary is a year-round magnet school with about 500 students. Tabe BBQ, Food Farm, New York On Rye, Groggy’s, and Mrs. Frostie trucks will be on site today donating 20% of their earnings to the fire relief fund.
More like this:
- San Diego Unified scores mine-resistant Army truck — Sept. 9, 2014
- Historic building to become University Heights library? — Feb. 23, 2014
- Food-truck regulations expected to rankle operators — Feb. 15, 2014
- Food trucks cause concern near San Marcos elementary school — May 22, 2013
- 1169 Miles Away — Jan. 6, 2010