Ken Leighton 6 p.m., Aug. 24
Nearest thing to Paris in the morning?
Paris, San Diego?
In my books, it's gotta be Soleil @k, the street level café at the Marriott (660 K Street, Gaslamp quarter, 619-446-6088).
It’s got a curvy-railed streetside patio eatery that just feels French. Specially now, around 7:00 a.m.
And yes, you’ll pay a bit for breakfast. But if you do what I did, just order a coffee for $4, and you’re all set at a great people-watching perch as the soleil rises. With, I swear, the feeling nearest Café de la Paix or wherever in the City of Light you dream of.
Actually, for $8 you can get that coffee plus two pastries: a hot croissant and a Danish or a muffin. Continental petit déjeuner!
Yes, you’re missing the smell of Gauloise cigarettes, and a copy of Le Monde to pretend you’re reading, with your elbow on that sexy curvy rail …
But hey, you have a copy of Le Reader, don’t you? That’s le chic paper to be seen reading on the grands boulevards these days, from what I hear...
More like this:
- Porn for film historians — Aug. 14, 2013
- The Movie Studio Logo Quiz IV: The New Batch — Aug. 21, 2012
- Tin Fish: Still the Best Deal, Post-Comic-Con — Aug. 15, 2012
- 50 Years Later: Vintage Newspapers from the Week Marilyn Monroe Died — Aug. 4, 2012
- Café Virtuoso in Barrio Logan — May 30, 2012