Matt Potter 4:30 p.m., April 28
Friday 13th in the Rain: The Butternut Solution!
On a miserable Friday 13th in the Gaslamp like tonight, this is the answer: Hot butternut soup.
Sitting here at The Hopping Pig (734 5th Avenue, 619-546-6424)...
...nursing an Arrogant Bastard (another beautiful cold weather consolation, $6), and watching as the cook brings out this big $5 china bowl of steaming, garlicky, I swear, golden butternut soup.
Could do with some bread, for sure, but can't beat the sweet, rich tummy-warmer gloop going down, and making you think of grandma's place when you'd come in all muddy and wet and sniffling and cold.
They have the $5 soup deal every day here, as well as happy hour snack deals starting at $3 (till 7:00 p.m.). And interesting craft beers most times too.
Only thing keeps worrying me: How da heck did they come up with that crazy name "Hopping Pig?"
Meanwhile, this slurp's for you, gramma!
More like this:
- The long, long titles: Part 1 — April 16, 2013
- The Movie Studio Logo Quiz V: What is hidden in the snow, comes forth in the thaw — Dec. 27, 2012
- Drinking with G-Men — Nov. 13, 2012
- Scoreboard: Pigs Do Fly...In IB — April 25, 2012
- If I Cast the The 3 Stooges — April 9, 2012