Barbarella Fokos 9 a.m., March 12
Raise the Macallan, Charlie Bucket
When my roommates wake up at 4 p.m. complaining of headache and grave transgression, it usually means a few too many bottles of Two Buck Chuck or the superfluous 40 of Mickey’s at dawn. Often I'm right there with them, but this time was different.
“They gave us free whiskey and finger food, and all we had to do was listen to a Scottish guy insult the English for an hour,” Maddie beamed.
The Scottish guy, as it turned out, was Eden Algie, the U.S. ambassador for the Macallan single malt scotch.
A few friends and I arrived at the Broadway Pier cruise terminal at 6 last night. Our names were checked for RSVP via iPad and we were given golden tokens for entry, lending a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory vibe to the affair.
We handed off our coins as we entered the open warehouse space (I’ve been told this is a new spot for raves, though it’s hard to imagine) and were given a sample of the Macallan’s ten-year vintage.
Waitresses circulated with platters of grapes covered in gorgonzola and pine nuts, roasted chicken quiche, meatballs, and cotija cheese pizza squares while everyone talked quietly, wondering what happens next.
Then, if only to augment the Chocolate Factory ambiance, a wall of Macallan posters divided slightly, and a few hundred of us made our way through, one at a time, into a seating area.
The stage was made up of glossy black surfaces and interactive big screen TVs, like something out of a Chris Angel skit. But instead of dazzling us with crappy magic tricks, Eden Algie, our veritable Willy Wonka, gave us a history lesson on scotch accompanied by samples of The Macallan 12, 15, 17, and 18-year vintages.
Here’s what that looked like.
More like this:
- MACSD gives you a chance to "Play with a PGA Tour Pro" — Dec. 18, 2012
- Free movies of the week: director's trailer park — Aug. 31, 2012
- Police Remove Occupy San Diego Tents, 2 Arrests, Half-dozen Pepper Sprayed — Oct. 14, 2011
- Groovetube - Blue Man Group Covers Nirvana "Nevermind" at Tower Bar — Sept. 26, 2011
- Groovetube - Batwings, Vaginals, Stripper Pussy, Monogamy Party at Ruby Room - Randy Chiurazzi, 2Up, Upsilon Acrux, Innerds at Tower Bar — Sept. 19, 2011