Jeff Smith noon, March 8
Cheap Chow When You Need It
OK, weekend’s gawn, and so’s all that money you didn’t mean to spend.
Where ya gonna eat?
My best bet downtown: New Café (901 E Street, at the corner of 9th and E., kitty corner to the -- still -- main library).
We’re talking straightforward American-Chinese chow at bargain prices -- in the four-dollar range. Like, cheeseburger and fries are $4.08. Curry chicken with rice and egg flour soup is top dollar at $7. Chop suey with Chinese-style tea is about the same.
Last time, I went for the curry chicken.
So filling, and real curry flavor. But don’t do what I did: screw around trying to decide. Suzie, who runs it, is all business. It’s a tiny place. Only a few tables. You need food? She needs turnover.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Two-Buck Chow Downtown — Feb. 16, 2012
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011
- It's Summer. Go Ahead, Be A Tourist — July 13, 2011
- Where O'Bethans Break Fast — June 27, 2011