Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., April 25
Red Door Owners & Chef Part Ways
So much for that chef at the Red Door who likes to take patrons to the adjacent Mission Hills Farmers' Market. Brian Johnston has left the building, but both sides say it's an amicable parting of ways.
Owner Trish Watlington has her sights set on locavores, going so far as to install an "Earth to Entrée" micro-farm in the Mount Helix area to supply her kitchen with San Diego-grown product. While a supporter of locals and a conscious chef overall, Johnston seeks to put his classic training and French-influenced culinary stylings to use in another environment.
In addition to the Red Door, Johnston was also the executive chef for its next-door sister restaurant, the Wellington Steak and Martini Lounge. In Johnston's absence, sous chef Daniel Manrique will call the shots in the back of the house until a replacement exec chef is found.
More like this:
- Red Door’s New Exec Chef Is Anything But Green — Aug. 5, 2011
- The Red Door Gives Way to the Mission Hills Farmers Market — June 14, 2011
- Hoppy Hour — April 19, 2007
- One Hand Clapping — Jan. 11, 2007
- Best of 2001: Best Substitution For An Endangered Species — Dec. 27, 2001