Eva Knott 7:43 p.m., April 15
Grape Stomp Saturday
Feel like getting your feet wet...and red? This Saturday, August 27, Juan Diaz will be running his Third Annual Grape Stomp contest at his -- who knew? -- Barrio Logan Winery (3030 Main Street, Barrio Logan, 619-779-8055).
Each team of four stompers has ten minutes to squish as much juice out of a half barrel of grapes. The results are measured, and the winners get $500 to donate to any nonprofit cause they choose.
Current champs are a group of women who call themselves "The Defenders," hoping to stomp out competition from 11 other teams.
But...a winery in Barrio Logan? It's true, though they don't grow their own grapes, and it's truly "boutique." They produce a couple of barrels -- maybe 480 bottles -- each year. Always red, because red is "easier." And good enough to win two silver medals at this year's county fair.
"We're hobbyists," says Diaz, "and the main idea is to use the wine we produce to help nonprofits in the barrio."
So if you buy a bottle (currently a mix of Aglianico and Mourvèdre grapes), you pay $20, with $8 going to the house and $12 going to your nonprofit.
Sr. Diaz says it's not too late to enter the stomp. Each team pays $150 to enter.
And no, you don't have to drink the grape juice you just stomped.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Strong Mayor: Stadium Tour 2011 — Aug. 23, 2011
- A Closer Look at the Trailer for The Woman in Black: Daniel Radcliffe Stars in Rise of the Planet of the Tiny Toy Apes? — Aug. 18, 2011
- Ambushed by Birria — Aug. 17, 2011
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011