Darrin DuFord 3:30 p.m., Dec. 26
- Community Blog
- Ensign Hickman
Baja & Border News Translations: High Wave Warning at BC Coast; 92 Persons Missing in Mexicali in 2012
High Wave Warning at Baja California Coast (UniRadioInforma, 10/17/12)
TIJUANA, BC - Tropical Storm ´Paul´ in Baja California is generating higher waves and elevated tides off the coast of Tijuana, where surfers took advantage of the situation to ride the waves, which reached two meters, according to Gabriel Lomelí Martínez, lifeguard captain.
No incidents were reported for this natural phenomenon, "The tide rose a little; it went up, but not much. Surfers are capitalizing on it. It had been very calm until right now then went up a little bit", he said. http://www.uniradioinforma.com/noticias/bajacalifornia/articulo152777.html
92 Persons Missing in Mexicali in 2012 (UniRadioInforma, 10/17/12)
MEXICALI - La Asociación Esperanza works against forced disappearance crimes and has registered 92 people missing in Mexicali in 2012 to date. So reported legal counsel, Miguel Ángel García Leyva, who said that the Special Prosecutor has done little to resolve cases of forced disappearances.The lawyer said he is concerned, because although there are laws against forced disappearance in the Criminal Code of Baja California, he does not know a case of person arrested or processed for such crimes.
He added that migrants are now kidnapped and deprived of their freedom while trying to reach the United States, because there have been cases of family members claiming to have had last contact with a loved one in Baja California but they never reached their destination.
García Leyva recalled that in 2009 the National Commission of Human Rights (CNDH) reported 20,000 people had been abducted in attempts to cross to the neighboring country to the North. 2,100 families have been counted from 2002 to date in the decade since La Asociación Esperanza’s formation. http://www.uniradioinforma.com/noticias/bajacalifornia/articulo152754.html
More like this:
- Baja & Border News Translations: Xolos visit General Hospital; USA Consulate in Tijuana closed for holiday; Collective marriage in Tijuana — Feb. 15, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Political Parties Urged to Recognize Same Sex Unions; In BC, 50,000 are Eligible for a Higher Education — Jan. 19, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: San Felipe 250, Baja 500 and Baja 1000 Races Confirmed — Jan. 19, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Rosa Anaya Meets Families at Cereso Mexicali; Pediatric Consultations for Respiratory Disease Increase 30% — Jan. 13, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: BC PGJE Make 1,662 Narcomenudeo Arrests; Drunk Driving Kills 65 in Mexicali in 2012 — Nov. 5, 2012