Mexico and U.S. Coordinate Amber Alert Programs (La Voz de la Frontera, 11/8/12 by Armando Ruiz)

Ciudad Mexico - During the signing of a National Amber Alert Protocol, the Attorney General of the Republic, Marisela Morales, pointed out that one of the priorities of the current Federal Government has been to ensure the safety of the most vulnerable groups, including children, girls and young people.

"For this reason, the Attorney-General's Office, in addition to complying with international conventions of which Mexico is a part, we have also implemented this one, specific to the search for children and missing women, which is a regulated and unified act for agents of the Public Ministry to eliminate any voids in discretionary action between different protocols”, she explained.

Marisela Morales thanked the Government of the United States for their unconditional support and in particular the American Ambassador, Anthony Wayne. She indicated providing security for citizens is an obligation of the State, which has been a priority of the administration of President Felipe Calderón.

Morales Ibanez stressed that the Amber Alert program is of great interest to the Mexican Government since one of its priorities is to deploy immediate, effective and coordinated actions in the search, location and speedy recovery of children and adolescents who are at imminent risk of serious harm or the possibility they are victims of a crime.

For its part, Anthony Wayne, Ambassador of the United States for Mexico, said that the U.S. has the ambition to share its best skills and practices for the strengthening of our countries.

The national Amber Alert involves the three levels of Government as well as some agencies such as the Attorney-General, Ministry of Public Security, Ministry of the Interior, Secretary of Communications and Transport, National Human Rights Commission and National Institute for Migration, as well as the Governments of Mexico and the United States, and the media.

The program is intended to locate and recover missing children and was implemented in Mexico beginning May 2, while our northern neighbor, on the initiative of a citizens’ group has utilized their program since 1996. http://www.oem.com.mx/lavozdelafrontera/notas/n2763896.htm

Fireworks Sales Approval Doubtful (La Voz de la Frontera, 11/8/12 by Sac-Nicte Santos Malagon)

Mexicali, BC - The city of Mexicali is in talks with the Cohetera of Mexicali to determine if it will be licensing the sale of fireworks this holiday season or not, seeking to avoid more pollution in the city and in-turn avoid illegal sales.

The Secretary of the Town Hall, Gabriel Tobías Duarte, noted that in recent years there has been a considerable reduction of these outlets, having only authorized four last year. These talks with the company seek to make them even less available or to give no approvals, because of the serious pollution it presents in Mexicali, said the official.

The goal, referred Tobías Duarte, is not in harming this company which has a guaranteed lease in Sedena nor its workforce, but it is important to seek measures where there will not be any more contamination of the city than there already is.

Although the risk may include an increase of clandestine sales, the official noted that municipal authorities, federal police and the army will have to operate to prevent Chinese rockets from being distributed by citizens as he tried to do a few days ago when a trailer containing large amount of these rockets was detected.

On this issue, Mayor Francisco Pérez Tejada Padilla said he could not agree on the sale of these products in Mexicali due to the risks and pollution generated. Alderman Manuel Zamora said that Mexicali does not support more pollution, so the council will assess and review this topic. http://www.oem.com.mx/lavozdelafrontera/notas/n2763693.htm

Comments

Sign in to comment

Join our
newsletter list

Enter to win $25 at Broken Yolk Cafe

Each newsletter subscription
means another chance to win!

Close