Jeff Smith 2 p.m., Dec. 18
- Community Blog
- Ensign Hickman
Border News Translations: 2 y.o. Shot; No Tobacco Day
TIJUANA BC (Frontera, Luis Gerardo Andrade, 5/30/11) – Police are still investigating the case where a 2-year-old boy lost his life when his brother, 7, fired a gun in their house. The tragic event occurred this morning in the home located in colonia El Florido Primera Sección, where the children were with an 8-year-old sister. The mother of the children said that she suddenly heard a gunshot. When entering the room, she saw the youngest one injured so took him to a clinic. It is presumed that the 7-year-old boy was playing with the gun found in the home. In a short while, it’s expected PGJE will have more to report on the case.
TIJUANA BC (El Sol de Tijuana, Sonia García, 5/30/11) – The consumption of tobacco causes more deaths than AIDS and in 2030, 8 million people will die a year. In Baja California, women consume more cigarettes than men do. Conalep will hold its seventh Anti-tobacco March tomorrow on World No-Tobacco Day. Events include the participation of 300 students departing from avenida Ermita Norteon campus at 8 pm; continue until reaching bulevar Díaz Ordaz, going left at calle Los Charros until reaching avenida Ermita Norteon. At that point, Boulevard Díaz Ordaz ends at Delegación La Mesa. Along the march, cigarette butts will be collected near the campus, homes of pupils and a schedule of conferences on the subject the same day. Martín Llamas Haro, of the Conalep State Office said, it is an event to keep students from developing the habit of tobacco-use. It is forbidden to smoke inside facilities. In addition, continual and random anti-doping tests have been conducted in the State’s six wards as a way of preventing young people from engaging in drug use. "We know that the cigarette is the drug of the home. After that, they will continue onto using stronger chemicals, hence its importance," he stressed. Raúl Rafael Palacios Lazos, Director of the Center for Youth Integration in Tijuana, will participate in the March. He said it is important for young people to be aware, because they belong to social groups, and they tend to take-up harmful habits such as smoking. The preventive actions of Conalep are related to the World Health Organization, which has taken actions against smoking since 1987 and this year launched the campaign "Three ways to save lives", said the steering director.
More like this:
- E-cigs face enormous obstacles — Jan. 15, 2014
- Baja & Border News Translations: Theft of cables generates millions in losses; Tijuana Fire Department offers Open Water Lifeguard Certification; Children who ran-away are located; Second "Gasolinazo" of 2013 will come Saturday — Feb. 8, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: 1,217 Pet Sterilizations Made During 2012; It Will Rain Wednesday and Thursday — Dec. 10, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: Two Rapes Committed; Police Recover 12 Stolen Vehicles — Oct. 21, 2012
- Border News Translations 17: Arrested with over pirated 1,500 CDs and DVDs — April 17, 2011