Matthew Craig Burke 11:30 a.m., Feb. 12
- Community Blog
- Ensign Hickman
Todd Gloria VS Wal-Mart, next round...
In the wake of Councilmember Todd Gloria’s recent appearance before the San Diego planning commission on October 7, 2010 where he testified in support of an ordinance that seeks to ban mega-retail stores over 90,000 square feet, Wal-Mart published a bold full-page ad in Sunday’s U-T blasting his actions. Alleged is Councilmember Gloria’s eagerness to “take away your right to shop where you choose”. The ad tells citizens to ask him why he is pushing the bill considered “ill-advised, objectionable, and disrespectful” in the words of the planning commissioners. Readers are asked to contact his C Street office “today” to ask him “who is else is behind the bill and what do they have to gain with its passage?” This blasting of Mr. Gloria was delivered from the San Diego Consumers for Choice (a group not readily identified through internet searches) but clearly sponsored by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Attempts to reach the council member’s office for comment were answered by a machine with a recording, which promised to return calls.
More like this:
- Just what authority will Council President Todd Gloria have after taking control of Mayor's Office? — Aug. 24, 2013
- Council President Todd Gloria once served as a board member for the Tourism Authority — March 28, 2013
- The Golden Boy of SD Developers Todd Gloria Announces Re-Election Bid — June 20, 2011
- San Diego City Council's Un-Due Process over Neighborhood Business Ordinance — Nov. 12, 2010
- Puppeteers: Eight powerful San Diegans who don't want to tell you what they do — Sept. 2, 2009