I heard a few things about Anna Nicole Smith the other day. I can hardly remember what they were. It seems every few months a new story pops up about her. And she's been dead for almost three years now.

This reminds me of Jimi Hendrix. The guy choked to death on his vomit in 1970. Yet records continued to come out, and do to this day, with previously "unreleased" recordings. At least with those, we get new music (even if they're half finished songs, or drunken rants on some stage somewhere).

These Anna Nicole stories are all so weird. The recent one involves two different pharmacists that supplied her with drugs. One of them even filming her doing sexually provocative things. And both of them allegedly had affairs with her.

I really didn't care much about her when she was alive. I hated the accent, didn't think she was all that attractive. And she was dumb as a box of rocks (although she did marry a billionaire months before he died)

And I don't care about the stories now. It's great to see the authories are trying to nail her attorney, Howard K. Stern, with charges. He was always so creepy, following her around with that goofy grin on his face. He was even creepier than...than the other Howard Stern.

The other celebrity gossip is a lot more bizarre. It involves Mackenzie Phillips, who's best known for the sitcom "One Day at a Time."

She seems to make the news every year with some sort of drug arrest. But this latest bombshell was huge.

She went on Oprah and...no, Winfrey didn't give her a car. Phillips announced that she had a 10 year incestious relationship with her father, Papa John Phillips.

This was the singer in the Mamas and Papas (and daughters, apparently).

I immediately heard this story and had trouble believing it.

First, because I'm guessing incest is extremely rare. Second, because this is only coming out now, when she wants to promote her latest book. You always have to wonder about the things in a book, especially when the people being accused are no longer around to dispute the claims.

And lastly, it's the way she said this all went down.

It was the day before her marriage at age 19. She claims her dad came over with a lot of drugs and she passed out after taking some hardcore stuff. She woke up to her father raping her and was horrified; as I'm assuming one would be waking up to that. Or to wake up with anyone on top of you.

This was such a horrendous experience for her that she....well, that she decided to continue on with the relationship. And for 10 years, only ending it after becoming pregnant and not knowing whether her dad was the father or not.

I just find it hard to believe that a dad can rape his 19-year-old daughter, and the daughter decides....well, that wasn't so bad. I guess I can continue seeing the old man. I mean, he did write California Dreamin'.

(on a side note: did any female singer in the 60s have a sweeter voice than Mama Cass Elliot?)

Now, I know nothing about how incest between a father and a daughter starts. But I'd speculate it starts with molestation when the child is a lot younger, and eventually leads into that type of relationship.

I doubt that many relationships start when the daughter is over the age of 16. At that point, the girl is old enough to tell her dad to get lost. Or tell mom that she's being creeped out by seeing her dad lingering around the hallway when she gets out of the bath. Something like that.

I initially told a few of my friends I didn't buy the story, and they tried arguing the point with me. Now I'm hearing her family disagree with her, but that doesn't mean a lot. I think a lot of families do that when accusations are thrown out, even protecting someone they know for a fact, molested someone in the family.

We'll see how this all plays out.

Comments

Josh Board Sept. 26, 2009 @ 1:17 p.m.

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for posting that, regarding Dateline. That is interesting.

Well, here's the thing. I remember being a teenager, and reading about Stockholm Syndrome. I think it was when I was reading something about Patty Hearst. And, a few years before 6th Sense came out, I read about Munchausen by proxy (injurying your baby, even killing it, so you can get the attention). And it's hard to imagine any of those things.

But again, it's NOT that I can't imagine a father and daughter in this type of relationship. I'm sure there are some cults right now, that have something like that going on.

But your last few lines are asking me "who would utter words about their dad, if it wasn't true." Well, someone that's a drug addict. That has lied before on many things. And someone that has such anger towards their dad, for not leaving any of the Mamas and Papas fortune (which she didn't get any part of), and for introducing her into drugs, which lead to the life she's had.

I'm not saying THAT is what she did. I'm on the fence about the whole thing. Because, as you stated, there are people close to her that support the story. But something to keep in mind is...those people are ONLY GOING by what she told them years previously. Not from things they witnessed.

And, I just don't know what his ex-wives all have to gain by denying he did that.

rickeysays Sept. 25, 2009 @ 1:22 a.m.

You have to remember she was a drug addict, fully into her disease at the time. Addicts will do a lot of things one would never do sober. Look at the kind of parenting job Ryan O'Neal did for Tatum. BTW Chynna said she knew it was true as soon as she heard it.

CuddleFish Sept. 25, 2009 @ 1:34 a.m.

Incest is not at all rare. I think the way you have discussed this topic shows how uninformed you are about it.

There are a lot easier ways to flog a book than to make up a lie like that about your father which a lot of idiots will jump to the same conclusion you have and make her look like some money hungry slug or a slut who dug sex with her father since she didn't say anything about it.

Engage brain before loosening tongue.

Josh Board Sept. 25, 2009 @ 1:50 a.m.

Okay, first...I'll address Rickey. Chynna saying that adds a lot of credibility to the allegation. But John Phillips wife at the time, and all previous wives, saying they don't believe it...means a lot, too. Wouldn't you agree? What reason do they have to defend him?

Yes, I believe he was probably a rotten father. I'm just saying the story doesn't sound accurate. Mackenzie seems like too much of a wild card at this point to be believed about these things.

Fish: you're telling me incest is "not at all rare". Please, explain that. I'm guessing less than 1% of the population engages in incest. Do you think the percentage is higher? And if so, what would you say the number is? So...if you think it's around 1%, I'd say that certainly qualifies as "rare".

I admit up front, that I'm "uninformed" on the topic, so calling me out on that means nothing. How about you bring some facts, or at least your thoughts on incest or this case, to the table.

I've never said, or implied, that Mackenzie was a "slut". I think she was a druggie (a charge I'm doubting you or anyone will disagree with). What I'm saying is...if she was "raped" as she claimed, I'm guessing it's RARE (again, I'm using that word), for someone raped to than want to continue on in a relationship with the person that raped them. I'm guessing that happens about 0% of the time. Do you agree, or disagree, with that stat? Or would you say that some women that get raped, do decide to enter into relationships with the man that committed the rape (whether or not it's their father).

Now, you're turn to engage your brain, and tell us your theories on all this, instead of acting like I'm some insensitive person on the matter. Because, I have all the sympathy in the world for a child that is molested.

I have a harder time having sympathy for a 19-year-old that is raped, and DOES NOT REPORT the rapist (who can than continue to rape or molest others). And even less sympathy when they continue a relationship with them. And the sympathy turns to disbelief, when the person dies and they want to sell a book, and it's the first we hear of it all.

CuddleFish Sept. 25, 2009 @ 1:53 a.m.

This is particularly offensive and not in the least funny.

rickeysays Sept. 25, 2009 @ 2:09 a.m.

Josh again you're looking at it as a sober person. I'm willing to bet she did not once have sex with him sober. And addicts in their disease do things that are hard to wrap your mind around.

Josh Board Sept. 25, 2009 @ 9:52 a.m.

Rickey, my point is, she may not have had sex with him at all. She's admitted to having a needle in her arm for the last 30 years of her life. Who knows what is real and what isn't with her.

Fish...I'm not trying to be offensive. Sure, a bit funny, but ONLY BECAUSE you are not stating HOW you think this all went down. You're just saying you believe it. So please, explain to me how this incestiou relationship happened.

Because, one moment she's horrified by the rape of her father. The next, she's having a 10-year affair. And ONLY when she becomes pregnant does she "realize" this is wrong.

And IF...and that's a big if...if it's all true, she should be seeing a pyschiatrist right now, possibly in a mental institution, trying to deal with that insane past. Not out doing the talk shows, promoting the new book. Wouldn't you agree?

Josh Board Sept. 25, 2009 @ 9:58 a.m.

Fish: I guess my point to you is this. You tell me I know nothing about incest. And I'll be the first to admit, you're right. But you're not explaining anything about it, either. I don't know if after a dad rapes his daughter, that triggers something in her mind. Does she think about how the father is always right and she should do what he says? Or what? Instead, I make a flippant comment about what her mindset was, and you say it's offensive.

And again, you say incest is "common". So...there should be lots of examples you can tell me about what a 19-year-old womans mindset is when she enters into such a relationship.

PistolPete Sept. 25, 2009 @ 10:39 a.m.

Here's a thought....One woman is dead and I'm happy and the other woman is alive and that makes PistolPete a sad panda. Of all the people that die each year,why can't it be this piece of s druggie who is obviously full of s? Did you find that offensive,fish? Good. I'm glad! :-D

The_Comedian Sept. 25, 2009 @ 2:16 p.m.

Re post #3: "Chynna saying that adds a lot of credibility to the allegation. But John Phillips wife at the time, and all previous wives, saying they don't believe it...means a lot, too. Wouldn't you agree? What reason do they have to defend him?".

Are you insane? Do you know how many mothers (or other family members) initially do not believe their own children who claim sexual abuse at home or within the family? And by this I also mean young kids who claim their father (or other relative) have abused them OR an adult who is finally able to start the process of doing something about what they've been put through in the past, just to find someone in the family accusing them of lying. Denial, anger, depression, acceptance...this is all really elementary.

There are WAY too many possibilities out there for you to just jump on the bandwagon of "she's lying".

She was a kid in the starlight who was straight wacked out of her head on drugs and alcohol. All this and other factors combined, anything would have been possible at the time.

Josh Board Sept. 25, 2009 @ 3:13 p.m.

Those are great points, comedian (although not very humorous!) But I'm not just "jumping on a bandwagon". I had said to my friends, from day one, that something seems odd about her story.

For example, I would've had a lot less trouble believing her, if she gave us a back story. Something like "All the time I was growing up, my dad said I was ugly. He said I looked like a boy. He would tell me no man would ever find me attractive." Some sort of way he was breaking her down, lowering her self-esteem, or whatever.

Instead, it was just that he's this great dad, singer/songwriter, until he taught her to roll joints at age 11.

Then, at 19, he brings over drugs, gets her passed out, and rapes her. Oh, and that leads to a decade of romance, which includes him asking her to move to Fiji with him, where they won't be looked down upon for having such a relationship.

It's just not sounding right.

Pete...no reason to upset Fish. I think she just feels strongly about her side. I can never fault someone for that. I just wish they would defend their side (much like you have about Favre or other football teams, in those sports threads we have going).

For people to spout off that I'm insensitive, or wrong...and then they offer nothing to back it up. Or they talk about these great Chinese philosophers they read, or some old African-American that wrote a book about race relations in the 50s and 60s...and this is supposed to be give them brownie points in a debate that has little to do with something like that. It all just baffles me.

So Fish...tell us...how common do you think incest is? And why are there holes in Mackenzies story?

Russ Lewis Sept. 25, 2009 @ 3:25 p.m.

Josh, whatever the statistics on incest are, it's a safe bet that they're inaccurate, since incest just isn't fully reported. And Papa John, as talented as he was, was one sick mother****er, and I have no doubt that he could have been capable of these things.

Josh Board Sept. 25, 2009 @ 4:05 p.m.

Good points, Pete.

Russ....you make a good point. Stats would be inaccurate. But, I'm sure there's at least some doctors that can give a ballpark figure on how often it occurs. And I'm guessing incest is extremely rare (between father and daughter). It's probably fairly common (relatively speaking, no pun intended) with cousins. But not father/daughter or son/mother.

And, I'm the king of saying that I believe anyone is capable of anything. OJ was one of the nicest athletes. Always did interviews. And he killed two people.

That Yale gal who was killed and hidden in a wall. The boy that did that was supposedly super nice and his friends can't imagine him doing it.

Anyone, can do anything. I put nothing past anyone.

But as Jane Velez-Mitchell just said on CNN....addicts lie. They lie all the time (and Mackenzie is an addict). If she is no longer an addict, she's newly sober. And the one thing they tell newly sober people is, they are not supposed to do these types of things at this stage of sobriety. They're supposed to stay focused on staying sober. And lastly, Jane brings up what I have also brought up. Motive. She could have anger, that her dad probably is the one that got her started on drugs (even at the very least, by having a cavaler attitude about drug use), and there's a resentment there. That could cause more lying about the behavior between the two of them.

PistolPete Sept. 25, 2009 @ 3:59 p.m.

Nothing against Fish but if she finds that offensive,I find her sheltered sense of self-importance offensive. If she wasn't doing this for extra attention or more money to sell something,why come out about it now that he's dead? No offense(and no pun intended either)but something smells fishy. She's the reason I wish all celebrities would either do their thing or f*** off a cliff!

thestoryteller Sept. 25, 2009 @ 10:30 p.m.

You know,Josh, during the O.J.trial, I was in line somewhere and heard a lady say, "I think O.J.is innocent. I don't believe a man would kill his wife." Just because it's not within your realm of experience, doesn't mean those things don't happen. She isn't coming out with these allegations because of her book, she wrote the book to heal.

There is a syndrome that two female sex-crime attorneys recently described on Dateline. They couldn't get a conviction on a date rapist because women continued to date him after they were raped. These attorneys said that the rape experience is so traumatic, they continued to date the guy to convince themselves that he is o.k. or that it wasn't that bad. To face it would be too traumatic. It sounds like a form of denial.

Who could utter those words about their dad, if it wasn't true? I believe her. Some people close to her are verifying her story. I believe her.