I hadn’t planned on blogging about that airplane that left San Diego and was going to Minnesota, but flew to a completely different airport nowhere near its destination.

Even with my friend being on a plane to Minnesota that same day, I just didn’t really have a take that was any different from anyone else.

But today two things struck me as odd about the case. One was a story in the Union-Tribune, that mentioned the benefits of pilots taking a nap, instead of being tired.

Ya think?

And on an AM talk show, one of the crew members admitted they were on their computers. This admission probably came after the FAA and everyone insisted they must’ve been sleeping to have not had radio contact for an hour and missing their airport.

I thought, if we need laws about not using cell phones and texting while we drive, the pilots need some rules. We finally got them to stop drinking and flying, but now it looks like we got a bunch of other problems – guns going off, computer usage, etc. Pilots need to get their crap together.

The other people I can’t figure out are the fine folks at Disney. I can’t remember if good ol’ Walt has his head frozen somewhere the way Ted Williams does. I’m guessing if his head is frozen, it was probably in the possession of Michael Jackson when he died.

(Anyone know if they froze any part of Jackson? His nose perhaps) *

Someone at Disney needs to get a brain, because they decided to give refunds to people who bought the DVD series of “Baby Einstein” tapes.

This all stems from the threat of a lawsuit by a parent group, after research showed TV may be harmful to children under two.

Ya think?

Obviously, having educational things on TV is a lot better than your child sitting next to you while Entourage is on.

Sesame Street came on the air the year I was born, 1969. And I loved it as a child. I remember them playing a beautiful Vivaldi song, as they showed flowers being pelted by rain. I also learned how to steal cookies from my mom. I guess there’s good and bad in everything.

But unless the boxes on the Baby Einstein DVDs guaranteed your child would be smarter, I’m not sure why a refund was necessary. Children can obviously become a lot smarter based on how much interaction they have with their parents; reading children’s books and things of that nature.

But studies have shown that adopted children do worse in school then other kids, and their adoptive parents usually expose them to more educational materials. So basically, your child is going to be about the same IQ as their parents.

Some parents go the opposite extreme and don’t let their children watch any TV. That’s a bad move, too. There are many fun and educational programs for kids; just tune into Animal Planet sometime.

* This was my 15th and finally Michael Jackson/nose joke used in a blog.

Comments

kjginsandiego Oct. 26, 2009 @ 11:55 p.m.

What studies have shown that adopted children have the same IQ As their birth parents? If it is true that adopted children do not do as well as other children in school what would make you think that IQ is the main reason for that. I am always leary of such generalizations where children are conserned. I'd be happy to know where you got your information!!

Josh Board Oct. 27, 2009 @ 2:04 a.m.

Well, what would make me think that IQ is the main reason is...in studies, they were baffled as to WHY adopted children weren't doing as well in schools. This was in middle to upper class neighborhoods (as poor people weren't adopting many kids).

And, what they found was interesting. They found that adopted kids were actually exposed to a lot more (I'm going from one magazine I article I read on the subject, and one book). The adopted kids often had been given lessons on how to play an instrument. A lot more books to read. And a lot more interaction/educational things with the adopted parents.

The conclusion these people come up with is...you can study and do well in school. But if you're not a smart person, all the things in the world that your adopted parents expose you to, don't do a whole lot.

And that if you get the looks from your parents (heck...even the voice; I just saw Paul Simons kid on Letterman. Sounds and looks just like him, but with more hair and a few more inches in height).

It's probably the same with the IQ.

psychopharm Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:01 a.m.

It might not totally be related to them having the same IQ as their parents. With many of these kids who are given up for adoption, you don't know if these babies are being exposed to drugs or alcohol in utero, the type of prenatal care (which, lack of could cause a child to be premature).

So, not sure how this study was set up, but unless you compare everything as the same, a generalization of adopted kids do not do as well as non-adopted kids can not be concluded.

I personally think it is lame that Disney would refund Baby Einstein. Anything in excess is bad, and I would extend that to include plopping your kid in front of the TV with a bottle propped in its mouth.

KarenBP Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:30 a.m.

My parents were able to start me a year early in school because i sat at the table one day, at age 2, with my POST cereal (Alpha-Bits?) in front of me and i proceeded to say to my Mom, "If you mix up the letters of POST, they spell TOPS and SPOT and POTS." (Never mind that they also spell OPTS, how would i have known THAT toughie!) She enrolled me in school ASAP, a private day school where she taught.

I stayed at that school until i was about to enter third grade, begging my Mom to send me to the public school that was two blocks from our house because "All my friends from Brownies go there! Pleeeeeeeeeeeease, Mom!!" When she agreed, i took a test to get in, and the school officials told her they wanted to skip me into fourth grade.

My Mom told them i was already a year younger than everyone in my grade and that she didn't want me graduating from high school way down the line when i was 16.

And while i may have been born with a high IQ or some such thing, i honestly believe i owe it all to Sesame Street and The Electric Company, which i watched obsessively. (And also Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and later, ZOOM!)

The end.

Josh Board Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:56 a.m.

Am I the only one that hated Mr. Rogers when Iwas a kid? I swear, the way he talked, bugged the heck out of me. I know, I know. It's supposed to be soothing to children, but come on. Give me the cool Electric Company songs, and muppets on Sesame Street telling me that the days show was brought to us by the letter "C". That's what I wanted to "see".

psycho...I agree with a lot of what you say. And I think the stats show what they show, for those reasons. There are adopted kids that come from women that were on drugs or on the streets, or didn't have money. Those are often people that aren't the smartest, wouldn't you agree?

Karen...wish I could say I did more with my Alpha Bits then comlain to my mom, "They taste gross when they get soggy. Do I have to put milk in them?!!!"

When I was 9 months old, I was having surgery. I pointed at the exit sign and said "exit." That amazed my mom, but I don't think anything else I did as a child ever impressed her. Until I started beating her and her friends at Scrabble when I was 12.

psychopharm Oct. 27, 2009 @ 12:58 p.m.

But, what you are doing is taking different variables and somehow coming up with a single conclusion. It sounds like what you are trying to say is that a child who perhaps was exposed to drugs or alcohol or whose mother did not have proper prenatal care is more likely to be adopted, or that due to low socioeconomic status, the child did not receive everything that perhaps one of a higher socioeconomic status could provide, and that due to those variables, they may have a lower IQ. But, again, you can't make a generalization about adopted kids unless you compare them to children who aren't with the same situations (perhaps, drug exposure, low birth weight, etc).

There is an old joke:

Remember in math class the rule if A=B and B=C then A=C?

Well, can't we then use that rule this way...

If God is Love, and Love is Blind, then wouldn't God be Blind?

psychopharm Oct. 27, 2009 @ 1:03 p.m.

I just wanted to add...to explain better.

Does the child being adopted and no other situation have anything to do with the outcome, or is it other variables that cause you to come to that conclusion? Because if you took an adopted child who had everything, no drug exposure, great prenatal care, great preschool, the best of everything, would that child be in any way different from the kid next to them who had the same...I think not.

cardig Oct. 27, 2009 @ 2:53 p.m.

LOL Karen.. Not many people remember ZOOM! I liked Mike best, as his intro was Pitch the ball, hit the ball, and catch the ball. As a little kid I thougth that was amazing...how did he do all at once hahaha

Josh, I read the same study on adopted kids not doing as well as their peers also. I too thought that they (in general) may not have had the best start prior to being born.

Josh Board Oct. 27, 2009 @ 4:56 p.m.

Adopted people seem to get so upset by these studies. And obviously, there will be adopted kids that are geniuses. But, these studies first came out when people noticed adopted kids doing worse in school, yet having MORE provided for them at home.

And I think at that point, it becomes obvious what is happening. That maybe all these people that talk about nature vs nurture and environment, might not be as much of a factor as we previously thought.

Crissyst Oct. 27, 2009 @ 6:06 p.m.

I knew you would say you didn't like Mr. Rogers.. you are so predictable. ;-9

Josh Board Oct. 27, 2009 @ 6:18 p.m.

I hated his voice. I hated his hair. I hated his cardigan sweaters. I hated the sound of the trolley. Nothing about that show was enjoyable.

Crissyst Oct. 27, 2009 @ 6:44 p.m.

JOSHUA!!!! Hate is such a strong word. You need a hug! ;-p

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 27, 2009 @ 7:15 p.m.

I personally think it is lame that Disney would refund Baby Einstein.

"Baby Einstein", that is going to be my new handle!

For the record-I always watched Captain Kangaroo when I was a little one.

Josh Board Oct. 28, 2009 @ 4:16 p.m.

For some reason, I never saw Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid. Not sure why. The show seemed great for children.

PILOT UPDATE: I love the fact that they're trying to say they were on their computers, as if that sounds better than "We were sleeping." Yet, computers are strictly against the rules.

Now, they supposedly are losing their license to fly. Which to me, seems a bit extreme. To keep a person from a career, based on one mistake that didn't injury anyone, really does seem to be an extreme offense for a first time violation.

TAM1079 Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:42 p.m.

It may seem extreme. But they are dealing with peoples LIVES!! Period....not very extreme IMO. They need to be strickter on drivers liscenes as well. If you operate a vechicle that could cause harm to someone....the liscening should be very strick. Any vechicle...be it plane, train or auto they are all deadly when operated in an unsafe manner. And to be out of touch with ATC for over 1.5hrs. Thats ridiculous. Thats Flying 101, something you learn when you are getting your private pilots liscense. Honestly, its inexcusable. I hope they don't get all their liscenses yanked, just the commerical and maybe the IFR portion of their liscense. But they should be allowed to put around the sky in a simple cessna or piper.

PistolPete Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:53 p.m.

Like most non-stories in this country,once again we've proven that just because we're the best,doesn't make us the brightest. The media does a fabulous job of making mountains out of mole hills. I think the media deserves a raise and a two week vacation. :-D