I try not to repeat myself on blogs, and I'm surprised that each day there's something else I'm able to find to rant about.

As my girlfriend said at a party tonight "Yeah...well, a lot of stuff pisses you off."

So, when I was walking my dog at 10 p.m. last night through Hillcrest and stepped in a mound of dog poo on the sidewalk, that slide me two feet and almost had me fall on my back...I thought about ranting on that. But I mentioned people not cleaning up after their dogs before.

When I heard Dr. Laura say the most idiotic thing today, I thought about blogging on that.

But I decided today, it would be about cell phones.

I've blogged before about how you should be able to use them when you drive, if you know how to do both. The problem is, 90% of the population can't. Now, I think I can (that doesn't make me egotistical...I'd gladly do what the police do and offer anyone that doubts this to do a ride-along with me and prove it to them).

But I thought it was great when I heard today that bus drivers, trollery and train operators, would no longer be allowed to bring their phones with them. It just wasn't worth the risk, with all these texting accidents that have happened lately.

And anyone that had the news on yesterday saw the Presidents press secretary at the podium, and two different cell phones rang. The first one he threw out a door. The second one, well...the guy took the call. And we even see and hear him explain to the person what is going on.

I think the news organizations that these people work for should either suspend them, fire them, or give them a warning that if that ever happens again, they're gone. It's the most unprofessional, and idiotic thing ever.

I can't remember when I got a cell phone. It may have been around 10 years ago. I do know that most of my friends had already gotten phones, and many were bugging me for not having one.

I see about two movies a week in the theatres. And if there's 52 weeks in a year...I'm trying to do the math on my fingers here...that's about 1,040 times I've been in a movie with my cell phone. And it's never gone off.

I will admit there were two or three times when the movie started and I forget to turn it off. Then I saw some jackass texting a few rows in front of me, and that reminded me to turn it off.

And with those fake commercials and various messages before the movie starts, there's no excuse.

But if someone has a cell phone go off and I hear them whisper "I can't talk, I'm in a movie right now." I'm going to be the jerk that says, "Then shut the f*** up and don't take the call!"

My girlfriend will be mortified. Or as my friend said when we were at the Mission Valley Theatre and I got into it with a bunch of gang-banging thugs..."Is it really worth getting shot over?"

Well, yes. I mean, no. Obviously I don't want to get shot over telling someone they're a jerk for answering their phone. But I'd rather take that risk, than being like the other 50 people that would rather sit there stewing in their seats being angry and missing the movie, only to complain to their date on the ride home.

Comments

mike1 May 15, 2009 @ 1:46 a.m.

Not electronic. Just a mic attached to something around your ear and you plug the other end into the phone. Around $10.

David Dodd May 14, 2009 @ 2:01 a.m.

I liked this as well. I need to incorporate the Mexican version of it into a blog entry. Cell phones are enablers for the Mexican culture.

(Note: I do not own an active cell phone.)

mike1 May 15, 2009 @ 12:21 a.m.

Josh, why don't you get a hands free thingy? Not a blue tooth necessarily. It does make it easier.

lallaw May 14, 2009 @ 1:55 a.m.

A-frickin-men to all of the above. Sorry, but what makes anyone with a cell phone think that the rest of the world wants to hear or cares about what you have to say to the giggle puss on the other end or your voice box? I am so tired of standing in some line to buy something or deposit something and be forced to listen to some narcissistic megalomaniac yap ABOVE conversational levels into their cell. I should be able to shoot them for being so annoying rude. Here's a message I would like to send to all of you guilty as accused above: NOBODY CARES. Furthermore, it is rude as hell to be talking on your phone while you are checking out your groceries or going through a drive through. Would you carry on a conversation with a person live standing next to you under the same circumstances while the cashier or sales clerk processed your purchases or tried to get your attention? No, you would not. Know why? BECAUSE IT IS SO OBVIOUSLY RUDE. Same with people on planes as soon as we land, in airports waiting to board, on the train, in the doctor's office...try inside voices or better yet take it outside when possible or wait until you can yap privately. Unless it is a true emergency, having a portable phone does not abort all rules of social etiquette. And remember: NOBODY CARES or thinks you are so important about the inane nonsense you broadcast.

I remember the first time I saw someone using a blue tooth device. We were all standing in line at the bank, when this woman who was a dead ringer for "The Nanny" - including the voice - appeared to start talking to herself! I thought at first she was talking to me, so I started to hesitantly respond. Then I thought she was mentally ill. Then I realized she was yapping "hands free." It takes either a lot of guts, or a lot of stupid to stand in the middle of a public place and talk at an elevated decibel level about stuff and nonsense while smiling straight ahead. (con't)....

lallaw May 14, 2009 @ 1:55 a.m.

As for drivers... 9.9 times out of 10 the one weaving all over the place at 10 m.p.h. below the speed limit while multiple people risk their lives to change lanes and hurl epitaphs at them as they cluelessly gab away should not be ticketed. They should also be shot on sight. Police officers and other drivers should be able to just take them out, like so much road kill congesting the byways. Josh if you can do it without distraction, God Bless ya, but you have to admit most cannot. As for movie goers.... I yelped out loud (yol ?) at the comment you would like to make to a someone who actually answers their phone to say they can't talk...in a movie or otherwise. I can understand forgetting...but then just quickly turn it off. If it is important...glance at the screen, note who called you, stop the ring tone of "Dancing Queen" from blasting out of your pocket...and go to the lobby.

Otherwise, I will just walk over to you, politely remove your phone from your splayed fingers and drop it in my coke. Diet Coke. My boyfriend would be as mortified as Josh's girlfriend, but that's my version of tough love.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest Josh...LOL.

lallaw May 14, 2009 @ 2:11 a.m.

I refused for the longest time to own a cell phone. I simply did not want anyone to be calling my purse. In fact, my first voice mail greeting said something to that effect..."hello, this is Lisa, and you have reached my purse. I'm not in my purse right now..." I finally broke down when someone I was dating seriously made my getting one a condition of a continued relationship (he had a cell, beeper, and mobile car phone). You can guess how long that relationship lasted: as long as it took me to record my voice mail message.

Further, once you do have a cell phone, people expect to always be able to reach you and talk to you on demand! The get testy, suspicious even if you don't answer your cell when they call or if it goes straight to voice mail. Hey, I pay for this phone for MY convenience, not yours!! So most of the time, mine is turned off. It has been handy though when I've had a tire blow or I'm running late, lost, (miss my kid), etc. I have the same attitude about call waiting. Hey, I'm already talking to someone else!! Wait yer turn! Remember the good old days when people just called and either it rang until they gave up (well, okay, answering machines ARE very useful) or THEY GOT A BUSY SIGNAL AND CALLED YOU BACK.

We live in this "microwave" society where everything must happen instantly if not yesterday. So RefriedG, I'm curious, just how does a cell phone enable Mexican culture? Is it because of a lack of a land based integrated telephone system...or is there another, deeper reason? I'm sitting at the edge of my seat awaiting your response... :)

David Dodd May 14, 2009 @ 2:23 a.m.

In the words of my fellow adopted countrypeople, my dear and much-loved loved lallaw, this will happen mañana. It's 2:30 in the morning, and I promise a blog entry tomorrow, including the cell-phone craze of Tijuanenses ;)

As my daughter is so fond of saying, I am "le tired".

Josh Board May 14, 2009 @ 9:42 a.m.

Well lallaw, there are two things YOU CAN'T get in the habit of doing. One, is become a slave to your cell phone. If you are, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

This reminds me of when we talked my grandmother into getting an answering machine. Who knows what year this was...maybe 1984, I don't remember. Well, I remember calling her and she was out of breath and angry it was "only me" on the phone, and not something important. She had run from the bath to the phone. Well...me calling doesn't mean drop whatever you're doing, ESPECIALLY if you have an answering machine. And that same rule applies to the cell phone. My parents often get mad at my stepbrother, because he rarely answers his. They'll say "Why does he have a cell phone if he never answers it?" Well...sometimes he's watching a baseball game and doesn't want to be disturbed. Other times he's at a restaurant. Yet, if he's waiting for an important call, he can see who is calling and make that decision.

I have another friend, she's in her 70s, and she hates when people talk on their cell phones in restaurants, even if they aren't yelling. I think she just wants to get mad at us cell phone users since she doesn't have one, and doesn't see why anyone would need one.

zzyzx May 14, 2009 @ 1:28 p.m.

Last weekend my husband and I saw Star Trek at Parkway Plaza. They asked us if we would take a monitor of some sort that we can buzz. The four options are picture, sound, something and other disturbances. I thought it was a survey that would keep track of problems. Well, there was a part in the movie that was really loud and then it became quiet. Or it should have become quiet if it wasn't for the stupid lady who was practically yelling on her cell phone. I don't remember what she was barking about. I pressed the other disturbances button. I didn't know the manager would actually walk into the theatre to check out the problem. Unfortunately by then she wasn't on her phone and the manager probably thought I just pressed it to see what would happen.

magicsfive May 14, 2009 @ 2:20 p.m.

ok, i admit it, i am positively addicted to my cell phone. the camera takes quality pictures, and i am a textaholic. i don't like to talk on the phone, so i hardly ever answer it. i figure if it's important, whoever it is will leave a message. that's what voice mail is for, right? but you know what KILLS me? people who use their phones at the gym. really???? every day, i see probably 20 people at the gym standing around, texting or talking on their cells. i just don't get it. i don't even bring my phone to the gym. if they hold a texting event to see who can work up the biggest sweat, then i'm in. until then, it will stay at home or in my car. xoxo

Josh Board May 14, 2009 @ 3:36 p.m.

I've wondered that as well, magics.

zzyzx...When I've complained to managers, they always offer me free movie tickets, which I often decline. I tell them I just want them to come in and tell the person to stop, or ask them to leave the theatre. They never want to do that, though.

And, my logic is always this...once I leave the theatre to get a "manager"...not only will they hang up by that time, but I've now missed more of the movie than had I just sat there and listened to their idiotic conversation for 30 seconds! It's a no win. So, I feel like shaming and insulting people into stopping. It's my new thing.

mike1 May 14, 2009 @ 5:33 p.m.

There's no excuse at the multiplex because there's an onscreen notice to turn off the phone and not talk during the movie. But I'm sure some of the crowd at the blockbusters are there to have a good time and to them that means being loud.

I try to talk really low on my cell phone if I'm in a public place. I'm very aware of all the people around me and do not want to be one of those who broadcast their conversations to the world. People have told me they can't hear me because I'm talking so low. Plus my phone is a piece of crap anyway. So most of the time I let it go to voicemail.

And I drive a stick so I don't even bother when I'm driving. Unless I know I have to use the phone and then I use a hands free thingy.

Josh Board May 14, 2009 @ 11:39 p.m.

mike, I have a stick as well. That's why when I'm on my cell phone on the road, I often say to the person, "Can you hang on a second?"

I then set the phone in the seat next to me, switch gears or make a U-turn...whatever move required my other hand, and then resume the conversations. The problem most people had with the cell phone thing is...they felt it was rude to have the other person on the line "hang on" while you pulled into a parking space, or whatever.

Or, they were bad drivers to begin with, and now their mind is distracted by something else.

Josh Board May 15, 2009 @ 1:16 a.m.

Well, I'm sure you're right about that. But as any of my friends can tell you...with electronic devices, I'm like an old lady. I can't figure them out to save my life. And, there's talk of those being banned, too. So I figure I'll just do it the old way, until I get a few tickets.