At a Long Island convenient store that had only been open six months, a guy in his 40s came in to rob it. He looked menacing standing there with his Louisville Slugger. Until the store owner pulled out something that could shoot slugs into his body -- a large shot gun.

The guy immediately dropped to his knees, but his hands together as if he was praying, and asked for forgiveness. He said the economy had driven him to do this and he's just trying to support his family.

The store owner took pity on him, and gave him a loaf of bread. He then opened the register and handed him two 20s. I think he should've opened fire, and given him two bullets.

When the owner went in back to get milk to give the guy, he took off. Oh...and he left the bread behind.

This store owner is getting all this good press. And I'm glad he's okay. But when he said he asked the thief to promise he wouldn't rob anyone else...well, I wished I owned a gun. So I could shoot my TV set.

Look, it's one thing when Samuel Jackson gives Tim Roth his wallet in Pulp Fiction. They're both criminals.

But this guy is a hard worker. If someone comes in to rob him, claiming that it's the economy...maybe he can instead go in and ask for a job application. If your first option during troubled times is to rob someone, and possibly kill them, you're really not someone that deserves to be on this planet.

And, with that...it's going to sound like I contradict myself with the following.

I agree with the decision of authorities to charge that pharmacist in Oklahoma with murder.

I'm sure you've seen the video. Two teenagers (16 and 14-years-old), were trying to pass a gang initiation. That was to rob a pharmacy. And they failed miserably.

The pharmacist, a Gulf War vet, pulled out a gun and shot at them. One guy was hit and went down. He chased the other out of the store.

Surveillance cameras show him walking back in, past the boy on the floor. He went into a back room and put his empty gun down. A few seconds later he came out with a different gun (gotta love those ex-military folks) and at point-blank range, shoots the kid in the head a few times. Authorities say it was those shots that killed him.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm glad this kid is dead. He would've been nothing but a menace to society.

I just have a problem with premeditated murder.

I've heard countless talk shows (including Dennis Miller a few days ago, who was wrong when he claimed it's only premeditated if you leave the house with the intention of going to find the person you're going to kill).

This guy is making the rounds on lots of talk shows and for some reason, his speech is slow and slurred. I'm not sure if he's on any medication, or if his lawyers cooked up a scheme that has him talking about his back injuries, and being disabled. It will garner him sympathy (maybe Drew Peterson can learn something from this guy, before he opens his pie hole again). Surely, potential jurors hear these interviews.

I feel the same way about this pharmacist as I did with that guy in Texas that shot two people that were burglarizing his neighbor.

Call the police and stay out of harms way. Don't throw yourself into a situation you can clearly avoid, just because you own a gun.

I'm all for people that believe you have the right to keep a gun. But not when they stick up for bozos like these two.

More like this:

Comments

rickeysays June 4, 2009 @ 2:25 a.m.

Regarding the first shop owner: This guy is a well-intentioned idiot. He has an after-school special view of the world. The reality is this robber was probably doing it to score his next crack fix. Giving him $40 just enabled him. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy comes back the next time he's jonesing. The shopkeeper should have had him arrested and let the system do it's job. Regarding the second shopkeeper: While I don't disagree with you, my sympathy is with him. I hope the jury feels the same way. But something you said makes me curious. Have you heard about the woman who was raped in the NY subway in view of a ticket seller locked in his booth, and a train conductor locked in his, and neither of them dod anything, other than notify their "command center". Here's the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/04/03/2009-04-03_subway_rape_victim_comes_forward_after_s.html In light of your comment "Call the police and stay out of harms way. Don't throw yourself into a situation you can clearly avoid" do you agree with their actions (or inactions) because I think they're reprehensible. If you can make it two against one and stop this, even if you risk injury to yourself, you must take action. As Edmund Burke said "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".

Josh Board June 4, 2009 @ 9:49 a.m.

I hadn't heard of that case, thanks for the link.

Well, Mathew Alice once answered a question about shark attacks, and whether or not life guards had to go swim out to help someone being torn apart by a Great White, when that might lead to the lifeguard being shark food. And lifeguards are told that they don't have to go out there. They can call 911, and "stay out of harms way," or take a kayak out and try their best to do "something", that didn't include jumping in the water.

I think ANYONE should jump in and try to stop an attack. What I meant, though, is once you've shot someone and they're on the ground...you have ample time to flee. You can call the cops, run out of the building. And if you are armed, have that at the ready. If the person comes out and you feel threatened, shoot him again.

Also, be prepared that officers will be showing up, and if you're the one holding the gun, that might not be the safest thing, either.

Josh Board June 4, 2009 @ 9:56 a.m.

I just read that story, and as horrible a situation as that was, her lawsuit was rightly thrown out. As it should've been.

I believe these workers made a bad decision, but it may have been drilled into their heads: if you see idiots fighting or robbing someone, stay inside your area and call authorities. If you go out and get involved, we will have the right to fire you, even if you didn't start the fight. And, threats like that from bosses, might make you reluctant to help anyone.

I can't believe on all those shows were crazy videos are caught on camera. The amount of times I see a convenient store clerk fighting back, when the person has a weapon (sometimes even a gun), and they think the best course of action is swinging a weapon at them, or jumping at the burglar who's holding the gun.

I guarantee their bosses say the same thing -- just hand over the money, and call the police. Don't try to be a hero.

But yeah, if a woman is being attacked, I think you use a bit more common sense, when you could probably end that crime immediately. Even if that means you're taking a few punches in the process.

SDaniels June 4, 2009 @ noon

rickeysays, are you a fan of Edmund Burke?

rickeysays June 4, 2009 @ 2:17 p.m.

Don't know anything about him. I just like the quote.

David Dodd June 4, 2009 @ 2:39 p.m.

Burke was what is now termed as a classical liberal. He's a very interesting character, historically, and if you're into Adam Smith then you'll like Edmund Burke a lot. He's definitely worth studying.

Josh Board June 4, 2009 @ 3:49 p.m.

Anyone here a fan of Brooke Burke? I kid, I kid.

refried and SD...I'm curious as to your opinion on the stories.

David Dodd June 4, 2009 @ 4:12 p.m.

My opinion on the stories...

The first story: No good deed goes unpunished. I am far too cynical to be charitable to a thief. Were I the store owner, I would have told him to go put the word on the street - rob my store and I'll kill you. That would combine charity and purpose.

The second story: The pharmacist should be tried for felony manslaughter, and if convicted sentenced to light jail time. If justice prevails, then he looses the right to own guns, because obviously he is irrational and should not own one. If he doesn't own guns, then his warped mind cannot repeat the second act of shooting. If you convict him of a larger crime (murder), then it sets a precedent that all store clerks are targets rather than defenders.

Josh Board June 5, 2009 @ 12:45 a.m.

I agree regarding the pharmacist. Good call.

Regarding the first story...in theory that sounds good. But it's unfortunate that the world doesn't work like a Clint Eastwood film. The thief wouldn't go out telling everyone to stay away, because the clerk is packing heat. Instead, he is just glad to get out of there. Or maybe wants to vandalize the place when it's closed, for revenge.

David Dodd June 5, 2009 @ 12:57 a.m.

Oh, do I have stories about my college years - I worked as a graveyard clerk at a 7-11. I got held up twice. Remind me to write about that sometime ;)

SDaniels June 5, 2009 @ 1:02 a.m.

Remember to write about that sometime, gringo! Josh, you don't REALLy want my opinion, probably already suspect what it will be, and know that these arguments always spool out the same predictable way. I'll just say that gun play leads to gun play leads to gun play, and I'll happily have no part of it.

Josh Board June 5, 2009 @ 10:20 a.m.

Hmmmm...not sure what that means, SD.

Geez, working at 7-11...I guess being held up is the negative, that far outways all the positives (putting your head under the Slurpee machine, free beef jerkey, etc.)

David Dodd June 7, 2009 @ 12:41 p.m.

Josh,

Keep in mind, this was thirty years ago. And the clerks didn't get very much for free. The only allowance we received was coffee, and the ability to run a tab on anything else. The owner had a couple of cameras in there at all times.

And I do see SD's point of view. If you carry a weapon, you're almost inviting a problem. Don't get me wrong, I strongly support the Second Amendment, but carrying a gun invites trouble much of the time. I want the right to own one, along with the right to choose not to. It's like religion. I want the right to believe in a God, even if I don't.

Josh Board June 8, 2009 @ 12:57 a.m.

I didn't think you realistically got stuff for free. I guess I just thought about Homer Simpson working at a convenient store, and doing all those things. That ending is hysterical. Apu says, as Homer walks off into the sunset "That employee stole Slurpees from me. He ate up beef jerky, his register was never right....but there goes the best convenient store employee ever!"

I agree regarding guns. Bill Cosby said it best once. If you are walking by someone, and they bump into you. You might say excuse me. If you have a gun, you might say "What's your problem?" or "Watch where you're going." WHen they curse you out, you now pull out your gun. Had you not been packing, none of that happens that way. So yeah, I strongly agree.

David Dodd June 8, 2009 @ 1:19 a.m.

Mmmm... donuts.... ;)

Remember the Tracy Ullman show? That's where Homer got his start. She is so incredibly talented. And so incredibly underrated. I remember watching those cartoons as sort of bumper-music to her show, in and out of commercial breaks. It was obvious it would be magnif, no surprise.

And Bill Cosby, another guy I grew up with. Remember I spy? What a great show.

Josh Board June 8, 2009 @ 10:03 a.m.

I never saw I SPY, but my parents had about 8 Cosby albums. We listened to those things religiously. Why is There Air? Revenge, some great discs.

I loved the Tracy Ullman show, but just like Milton, the Office Space character that started on SNL, I didn't think there was much there. The Simpsons became great, but on Ullman, not much there (in my opinion). But yeah, she's truely underrated as a comedic talent.

rickeysays June 8, 2009 @ 10:33 a.m.

Regarding your comment: "If you are walking by someone, and they bump into you. You might say excuse me. If you have a gun, you might say "What's your problem?" or "Watch where you're going." WHen they curse you out, you now pull out your gun. Had you not been packing, none of that happens that way." The argument NRA types would make to this is that everyone should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon. If you bump into someone and you know he's probably packing, you're likely to be polite.