91X sometimes has these concerts where tickets are only 91 cents. And it usually consists of some pretty good bands.

I went to one years ago, but can't remember the band.

The other night, it was Ida Maria at the Casbah. Not to be confused with Anya Marina, the former DJ (who has a great new CD out right now).

Ida has a song that's getting a lot of buzz. It's called "I Like You Better When You're Naked." And really, who can argue the point?

She sang it on The Tonight Show and dedicated it to Hugh Jackman, who looked embarrassed as he sat there.

It's a great punk tune, with a great bass line and snappy drums. Everyone can relate to lyrics, about how you try to say clever things to someone you find attractive and they don't come out right, etc.

Anyway, I told the few friends I was going to meet there, that shows at the Casbah always seem to sell out (I believe the capacity is around 125). Doors opened at 8:30 p.m. and I told one friend I'd get there at 8:00. I wasn't doing anything earlier in the evening, but I wasn't going to show up before that, just on principle.

There were already about 50 people in line. And two of my friends showed up about 10 minutes later, and hopped into line with me.

I started asking them what the etiquette was on that. One friend preferred I bring up the topic at another time, as she didn't feel comfortable. I told her I didn't mind if the people behind us heard, because I want them to know that I am thinking about them, and not just letting my friends "cut" in line.

To me, I always thought of cutting in line as someone just walking up and cutting in front of you. Or not knowing where the line started, etc. It could also mean that you run into someone you weren't expecting to run into. Both parties act surprised, utter cliches like "What are you doing here?" and give great big hugs. The one in line will say "Stay here with us," as the person uncomfortably looks at the people standing behind them.

As I waited for my friends, I saw two different cars pull up and let a person out to jump in line. The driver then parked the car and joined them five minutes later. Obviously, nobody would have a problem with that. But...what if that car had five people? And what if those five people got to jump in line with the person that held their space, and the show sold-out just after they got their tickets. And the people behind them couldn't get in?

At concerts and clubs, all of this seems to be acceptable. But what would happen if you were at Disneyland, waiting in a long line. And five of your friends came up to join you? I'm guessing the people behind you would throw a fit.

Yet, if those five friends of yours were in line to start with, and then decided to go grab an ice cream and come back in line...nobody would object.

And, even though most people seem to agree that it's okay to hold a persons place in line...I think we all agree that you look like an idiot if you're standing in a parking space, holding it for a car you're expecting.

And we've all thought about just parking there, even if that means knocking the person down that won't move.

Although, the thought of getting my car keyed always keeps me from doing it.

Comments

magicsfive July 2, 2009 @ 1:04 p.m.

yeah i would throw a fit i'm sure. they should just have like that speed pass thing like they do at disneyland.

Ponzi July 2, 2009 @ 2:16 p.m.

What timing for this topic! How about this one. I'm standing in a long line at a shuttle bus for the Del Mar Fair. The person in front of me asks me if I will "hold his place." I say sure. He comes back a few minutes later... with four more people and they join him in front of me. So guess what? when the next shuttle arrives and the line is boarding, I am cut off as it’s gets full… right behind “Mr. Hold My Place.: So I have to wait 15 minutes for the next one. As well as the people right behind me that are now not too happy about this.

The next time I am asked I am going to say "only for you, no add-ons."

I think adding one person is acceptable in almost any circumstance, but not when people take the liberty of cutting in friends and groups. If they want to be together they should all exit and go to the back of the line together because the are depriving the other people who have earned the privilege of getting in sooner by being their first.

jmtrudeau July 2, 2009 @ 2:46 p.m.

Well, the worst crowd it seems are the annoying Jr. High and High Schoolers who just walk into line with the as mentioned "surprised look" and just keep adding more and more of their friends as they are walking by. Seems to happen a lot at the movies. I lost it one night and actually grabbed the little snot and shoved him out of the line along with his friends. Everyone around seemed to appreciate my action as all of us had already been in line for quite a while and one stupid kid letting in ten of his friends is rediculous.

mitthbevnuruodo July 2, 2009 @ 2:48 p.m.

I think that here in the UK, line jumping is way worse than it was there. People are always having numerous friends join them in line, including at amusement parks. Plus, when a checkout at a store opens a new cash register, it's never 'next in line', it's always whoever gets to it first, which is often the very last people in line, annoying that!

David Dodd July 2, 2009 @ 2:51 p.m.

It happens at the border all of the time, waiting in line to enter the U.S. If anyone cuts directly in front of me, I tell them to hit it. It has almost come to blows several times.

Josh Board July 2, 2009 @ 3:01 p.m.

Ponzi: That story is odd. That person should've clearly told you, or at the very least, when he noticed you wouldn't get on...give his spot to you. You would've then rolled your eyes and said "That's cool, don't worry about it." And at least he had made the effort.

JM: as much as I've wanted to shove kids, it's really never acceptable. You could always just stand in front of them when they get to the box office. Make it to where THEY have to shove you, to buy the ticket. And you can tell the person behind the counter what happened. That is...if they don't leave the line when you tell them.

mitt: Don't you Brits call it "cueing up"? The grocery stores here have a great system that works well. When a new cash register opens up, the person working it won't say "I can take who's next." They walk up and grab the person that IS next, and they say "I can help you over here." That system works well.

I also like when stores have two or three registers, and there's just one big line (like a bank) and the person in the line goes to the one that opens next. This keeps you from being behind the person that has 83 coupons, and decides to try and find their checkbook in the purse, not knowing where it is!

cece5650 July 2, 2009 @ 4:09 p.m.

Wow...91X has concerts for 91 cents! Reminds me of the KGB concert at San Diego Stadium (before it was the Murph)...it was $1.01, and the only performer I can remember, at the moment ;-) is John Cougar Mellencamp (hey, it's been awhile) Someone got stabbed at that concert, and the next thing you know...no more concerts. Then came the Home Grown albums. I love KGB! Anyway...just a bit of reminiscing.

Josh Board July 2, 2009 @ 4:23 p.m.

I remember when KGB did the concerts at the stadium that was part of the Sky Show. They'd always have three or four good bands. And, after one rowdy time, where the bands thrashed the field, and the fans thrashed the stands...nore more live bands. Just fireworks.

Well, I made my friends laugh because the sign on the Casbah door said "91 cents...but we'd prefer a dollar." I said "Ohhhh...the old bait and switch."