No Fred, don't get excited. This has nothing to do with any stadium issues or the team moving, or any of that. It has to do with idiotic NFL players, doing idiotic things.

I said once before, I couldn't believe they even have NFL games. That these guys can get up early on a Sunday morning, and show up, for games. Same with the NBA.

The Chargers upset the Colts. And, they already are dealing with a tight end that isn't 100%, and the best running back in football that won't be playing in the steal city.

And, they have two players acting like the usual guys act.

Vincent Jackson, who had an incredible season getting over 1,000 yards receiving, got pulled over for a DUI. I'm not sure if the details, and I don't really care.

I would just think that after that other Charger got riddled with bullets that ended his NFL career, the other players would've wised up and said...well, maybe getting drunk DURING the season isn't a good idea. And, if we have a few drinks, maybe we can call a cab. Or hell...we're rich athletes. Let's get a limo, and cruise home in style. But no. They instead drive drunk (allegedly....regarding Jackson, as I don't know all the details yet).

Then, with LT hurt, Michael Bennet was signed from the Vikings. I remember he had a thousand yards one season a few years back. And the Vikings have had their bad PR (one incident involved drinking and strippers on a boat).

Bennet is being sued by someone, for being with a couple guys that beat a person up at 4:00 a.m. He says the lawsuit is nothing, and the guy is just going after him because he's rich and drives a silver Rolls-Royce. He also claims that the gun the guy saw in his "holster" was really just his cell phone. He claims the police questions him and let him go. He was the peace maker in the fight.

Well...maybe if you're not hanging out with guys at 4:00 a.m. that beat people up, you don't have to worry about how the incident is perceived, or breaking up fights.

Remember, Ray Lewis had a similar incident and someone ended up dead, and he lied and helped cover it up (yep..he's still in the NFL, with the Ravens, who are looking good this year).

Remember that receiver for the Raiders? He was out at a strip club and got robbed and beaten within an inch of his life before the season started.

But, do you think that's keeping the NFL players from going out and showing off their bling and picking up scantly clad women?

And hey...don't get me wrong. I'm not saying if I was an NFL player I wouldn't enjoy some of the things that come along with fame.

But can't you be smarter about it? I'd date one of the cheerleaders, and tell her on Saturday night that I have to be in by 10, because of work in the morning. Hell, we could carpool to work.

Comments

Fred Williams Jan. 7, 2009 @ 7:32 a.m.

Amen, Josh.

If you're a highly paid professional entertainer like the members of the Chargers, you can easily afford a limo.

If you remember the case of the shot-up player, he had been pulled over numerous times before by SDPD, even getting into fights with officers, and every time he was driven home and let off without even a warning.

So what surprised me was that SDPD actually arrested this player for DUI. Usually, the policy has been to shrug and keep quiet about the whole thing.

That doesn't make them role models.

In fact, I'll assert that young women who use their bodies to entertain guys drinking beer are far more likely to finish college, have a clean criminal record, and provide a home for their children.

But that doesn't make strippers role models either.

No entertainer is anything more than a showbiz worker, whether it's sports entertainment, music entertainment, or nude entertainment. They ought to earn a decent wage, but they deserve no extra respect or special treatment for choosing the job. They produce nothing of enduring value, and in the case of sports they actually destroy economic value.

Save your admiration for those who deserve it, like the scientists at UCSD and Salk, where they're changing the future of the world with their discoveries...

...here's a challenge for you, Josh. Name three members of the Chargers. Now, name three UCSD scientists.

See how screwed up our priorities have become in America?

Josh Board Jan. 7, 2009 @ 11:19 a.m.

Well, the problem with that point is this. I can name football players, because I love the sport. And, I remember something like a catch Chris Carter made 18 years ago, because I don't know how it was humanly possible for him to have made it and stay in bounds!

Or Walter Payton making a cut, and juking the defender so bad, the guy ends up on the ground, before finishing the run by jumping over yet another defender, to get into the end zone.

I'm guessing the scientist at UCSD is just standing over a beeker, mixing stuff. Not as exciting (to me, anyway). But obviously much more important in society.

So, when idiots like Charles Barkley say "I am not a role model. The parents should be the role models." It sounds great to say. But kids would much rather watch LeBron James slam dunk, then watch their dad sit at a computer all day!

It's not a matter of "priorities" being screwed up in America. It's a matter of what people find more entertaining. Going to a rock concert, football game or [insert event here]...or praising our teachers, firefighters, and scientists. Which we can do with awards, but not with paying $50 to sit and watch them, uh, "perform" their job.

Ponzi Jan. 7, 2009 @ 2:51 p.m.

Josh, good topic and I agree 100%.

These guy need to have to sign an agreement that they don't drink during the season. They are paid millions of dollars and they are paid to be an athlete. They should not be smoking or drinking or any drugs that are not prescribed by their doctor or for sports medicine.

The major problem that I have with this case is the fact that is on probation for a prior DUI.

So here's the deal. When you're on probation for a DUI, you are instructed by the court as part of your release from custody and suspending of your sentence, to not have any measurable amount of alcohol in your system while operating a motor vehicle.

So you already know that you can't go someplace and even have one drink because, if you didn't make other plans, you are going to be getting in your car under the influence and will have greater than .01% BAC.

So unlike a driver that use bad judgment and drives after drinking, this was bad judgment before drinking. Terms of his suspended sentence and freedom where that he not drink anything before driving.

So some people make dumb mistakes after they've had some drinks, but this was totally preventable. He not only drove DUI and got caught a second time in 3 years, he violated a promise to the court not to drink anything before taking the wheel of a car.

Josh Board Jan. 8, 2009 @ 12:33 a.m.

Yeah, I didn't realize he was on probation for previous DUIs until I read that in this mornings Union-Tribune. Also, I forgot about even mentioning that Charger Keil, who died drinking and driving after leaving a party in Scripps Ranch.

When you mentioned players signing a contract that they can't drink, it reminded me of something.

In the early 90s, I went to visit a friend in Salt Lake City. I wanted to go to a sports bar to watch a Julio Casear Chavez fight. The best sports bar in town, owned by a guy that was a broadcaster for Jazz games. I can't think of his name, but he used to play for the Lakers. Well, he had his restaurant designed really well. Some sports bars are such crap, with a few pennants on the wall, and not much of interest. His memorabilia was so much fun. Well, near the front door, he had his first contract with the Lakers. It was in the mid-60s I'm guessing. And so, the pay wasn't outrageous (not to mention, he wasn't Jerry West or Elgin Baylor). And, there was something that said he had to stay at 170 pounds, and he would be fined $10 for each pound over that he weighed. It was hysterical!

I read in another book...I think it was by Lenny Wilkens, but I can't remember. He told about Red Auerebach being so strick about what the players ate, that when he walked down and saw them all munching on pancakes, he said that they are fattening and they couldn't eat them and would start fining players for eating bad foods. The guys then started scarfing 'em down, and he yelled "what are you doing!" One player said, "We might as well eat them all now, since you are no longer letting us eat them." He stood there silent for a few seconds, before saying, "I'm going to fine you guys $10 a bite, starting now."

They all put down their forks.

Why teams can't have stuff in contracts now, is beyond me. Maybe because they wouldn't be able to field a team.

Fred Williams Jan. 8, 2009 @ 9:36 a.m.

More about football paying roll models, courtesy of the current Reader cover story.

I wonder why this was never in the news:

When it comes to violence, a bouncer can never know what to expect, especially when alcohol, and maybe drugs, are involved. Or sports. “I was working at the club in the Excelsior Hotel,” Estu says. “It was a football party kickoff night, and the teams from USD and SDSU were there.” Stuff happened, words were exchanged, fists began to fly. “Eighty football players were there,” Estu recalls with amazement, “and all hell broke loose. We did what we could to stop it. I just held on for the ride and hoped I didn’t get hurt. Strangely enough, I didn’t get hit at all,” but the football players tore into one another. “Most people don’t want to fight, and they’ll stop when you break them up,” Estu says, “but these football players are made for this kind of thing, and they weren’t about to stop.”

bluenwhitegokart Jan. 9, 2009 @ 4:43 a.m.

"Football players ought to be recognized for what they are...young men who use their bodies to entertain guys drinking beer."

You know, Fred, when you say it that way....

Josh Board Jan. 13, 2009 @ 1:14 a.m.

Well, the Chargers lost. Hearbreaking that it's the second year that they didn't have LT, although a little easier to take, knowing they probably would've lost even with him.

That Steelers team is good.

Josh Board Jan. 16, 2009 @ 1:24 a.m.

STUPID CHARGERS UPDATE: after years of them not using LT properly (meaning, they would play him in the 4th period when it wasn't necessary, creating wear and tear on him, when the came was already decided...now he keeps getting hurt in the playoffs, and turning 30, and with a high salary, means he might not be back. That means a PR nightmare for the Chargers, no matter what happens. Good job, guys!