I heard a couple stories that made me cringe. You know that cringe when you see a guy get hit right in the ‘nads?

First, on Jimmy Kimmel last night, he talked about a Colombian man who castrated himself. He did this because he was afraid he’d cheat on his wife. Now, I’m not sure if your wife would be happy or sad by this. I mean, I’m guessing Tiger Woods wife would be happy by that act, but…I’m guessing there’s some negative that comes from it. Aside from the infection this dude got doing it.

Now, don’t try this at home, kids. This guy is a farmer and he’s done it to many of his animals. Which makes me think Gary Larson is working on a cartoon right now, that shows farm animals laughing and pointing.

It’s strange, because in the movie Little Children a child molester castrates himself. And, I’m all for those types of people doing that.

In the film you feel bad, because his mother just died and he really is someone that needs mental help and is being harassed by a crazy cop.

Anyway…the other cringe worthy story involved a guy that won a contest for “the best job ever.” That meant he got to go to a tropical island paradise near Austrialia’s Great Barrier Reef and blog about it to boost tourism.

The 6-month assignment paid a cool $120,000.

Well, a box jellyfish the size of pea, stung him. Apparently, they are among the most venomous animals on the planet.

He got chest pains, muscle cramps, a burning sensation all over his body, and was taken to a hospital.

In 2002, two tourists died from these little guys stinging them. They’re virtually impossible to see in the sea.

Now, since his job is to blog to help tourism – does he lose his job because of this?

More like this:

Comments

bluenwhitegokart Jan. 1, 2010 @ 2:56 a.m.

I just read the plot summary for "Little Children," having never even heard of it. Let me just say this about that: it sounds like a totally f-ed up movie, Josh. Bleeding heart libs from Hollywood trying to garner sympathy for child molesters at every chance? I dunno, but I'm with you on the mandatory castration part.

Josh Board Jan. 1, 2010 @ 3:32 a.m.

bluenwhite...I'll be the first to condemn a movie that's Hollywood libs and full of crap. I hated Crash because of that. Yet, I thought Dead Man Walking played it all fair and was a great film.

You will LOVE Little Children. Rent it. If you don't, you can never trust me on movies again.

Crissyst Jan. 1, 2010 @ 10:13 p.m.

Hahaha on two counts: the Gary Larson cartoon quip and Elin Woods. She probably would get some satisfaction from that.

And I guess I can't trust your critiques of films, Josh. I did not care for Little Children at all. Most of the characters were pretty unlikeable IMO. ;-)

Josh Board Jan. 1, 2010 @ 11:44 p.m.

Ya know what? The characters were unlikeable. But so what. One of the most critically claimed movies (and plays) was David Mamets Glengarry Glenross. A bunch of lousy sales people, selling crappy time share products. A cast that included Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, and Alec Baldwin. I think Al Pacino, too...but not positive. There's not a single character to like in the film, but you don't necessarily watch a movie to root for someone.

In Little Children, the narration is brilliant. And...I would say you should like Kate Winslet. She doesn't do anything all that unlikable (she cheats on her wife, ONLY after he does some silly things).

And, you can like the child molestors mother. She's a sweet old lady trying to help her son out.

diane16 Jan. 2, 2010 @ 4:09 p.m.

Is the movie industry running out of quality content? And is humanity running out of real life experience so that it has to live vicariously through movies? Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" is no longer fiction, my friends.

KarenBP Jan. 2, 2010 @ 11:56 p.m.

i thought i was the only one who ever saw "Little Children." It started out SO good but went downhill very, very quickly...

bluenwhitegokart Jan. 3, 2010 @ 6:56 a.m.

I rarely watch television anymore. The content that keeps interrupting those all important commercials is driving me crazy. Josh is probably too young to remember, but I remember one of the big hype points about switching to cable was the lack of commercials - you wouldn't have to pay to watch commercials. Throw a flag on that play!

That reminds me, Josh; topic for your next blog: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nba_gunpoint_R52AnT76DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

cold666pack Jan. 3, 2010 @ 10:46 a.m.

How do you feel about people who you run into into, say, on the street, or at a coffeeshop, or at the grocery store that keep you captive? No one ever taught them the manner that you say hellow, exchange how are you's for a maximum of a minute and a half and move on. What do you do with people who insist on laying out there last ten years of life they now have a chance to tell you about? Just wondering about your take on this.

Josh Board Jan. 3, 2010 @ 2:09 p.m.

blueinwhite...I did a blog on the guns drawn by NBA players today. You're right, it was a great topic.

I do remember when cable TV first game out and that being one of the selling points. But, when I was 10 and we got HBO/cable, the big thing was really...that you could actually watch a movie, from the movie theatre, on your home TV. Even R rated films. Sure, they hadn't been in the theatres in 8 months, but...this was in the days before video rentals.

Karen...Little Children was great all the way thru!

And 6pack...I've had some times where I hate that, others where I don't mind. If it's an old person, they get a lot of room on those situations. I figure they're grandkids haven't called in a while, they're bored, and really...it's not that hard for me to listen to their life story.

I went to a barber near my home in University Heights the other day. He wanted to talk to me about opera for an hour (the haircut probably took 8 minutes). I told him the only thing I know about opera is Gilbert & Sullivan and the Barber of Seville, from the Bugs Bunny cartoons. But that didn't really stop him or slow him down. And I was held captive in the chair! But I didn't mind.

If someone is boring you with long stories or their life history, although it may be rude, I have no qualms about saying "Hey...ya know what? I stopped in here to get some milk, and my girlfriend is waiting in the car. I really gotta go. But it was great talking to you." Even if I have to interrupt one of their long stories to say this.