I didn’t want to blog about Sarah Palin. She’s been talked about to death. But something happened the other day that was so utterly ridiculous.

She was on a beach in Hawaii and photos were taken of her. She was wearing a visor that had said “McCain” on it, but she inked it out with a black Sharpie. You could still read it, though.

The first thing I wonder is…what’s her beef with John McCain? He made her rich and famous (and sunk his race) by putting her on the ticket without the proper vetting.

The second thing I wonder is…why keep the cap in the first place? When my grandmother died, among her many wonderful antiques…we found a cabinet filled with soaps and lotions from various hotels. And a closet filled with visors from various casinos. But she was a Jewish woman who lived through the depression, whereas Palin got a million and a half for a book deal.

On a side note: I can’t figure out why she left a book signing in the mid-west before everyone had their books signed. Sure, the bookstore said she would only stay an hour; but that doesn’t mean she had to leave when people were standing there waiting for a signed book (many of whom had waited for hours).

As a teenager I drove to L.A. to meet Magic Johnson at a book store. They told us he’d only be there for an hour to sign autographs. He stayed for almost three, and everyone got a signed book (which is good, since I got a parking ticket AND my car towed).

The latest I heard was that she cut her trip short in Hawaii, because she was so upset over the flak she’s gotten by crossing out McCain’s name. If that’s true, she’s insane.

Palin has made a few good moves lately. Her appearance on The Tonight Show, to read William Shatners book with a band performing jazz behind her, was hysterical. It was a play on Shatner doing some beat poetry reading of her book “Going Rogue.”

That same time, I switched over to The Colbert Report, to hear Stephen Colbert say that John McCain has crossed her off the shirt he has. The photo showed McCain wearing a shirt that said “I’m with Stupid” and an arrow pointing to his left. The word “stupid” was crossed out.

McCain had said some positive things about Palin in a recent interview. But I swear, if he got a shirt and did that…it would be the funniest thing ever.

So, before Palin packs up to go back to Alaska and spying on the ruskies…why not drop into a gift shop and do what tourists do – buy a cheesy visor that says “Hawaii” on it. You can throw away the McCain visor and have no worries.

More like this:

Comments

thestoryteller Dec. 18, 2009 @ 8:03 p.m.

When she was chosen to run, I said that she was McCain's token female. She's never had an intelligent thing to say. I do not believe she is capable of making a "good move." Crossing out McCain is sending a message. I can't believe people actually like her. As a dog lover, even I have to have more than a cute Pit Bull joke to get me to vote for someone.

I hope I don't get "Going Rogue" for Christmas. I'll toss it or give it to the thrift store without reading it. It's garbage!

redsoxfan Dec. 18, 2009 @ 11:34 p.m.

She's an idiot. America's infatuation with her is like watching a train wreck - it's so horrible, you can't help but watch.

rickeysays Dec. 19, 2009 @ 2:04 a.m.

The Republicans didn't learn anything from the Dan Quayle experience, so they found a female version. Or maybe they did learn something-that America is full of idiots.

Josh Board Dec. 19, 2009 @ 12:15 p.m.

She didn't cross out McCain to make a statement. It wasn't like she put an X thru it. She just darkened that area, and hoped nobody would notice. And they did.

I don't like to go down the path of calling her "stupid". Don't get me wrong, I think she is. I've seen it in how she tries answering questions. That could be about whether Levi is coming over for Thanksgiving or what newspapers she reads ("all of them").

But, a Republican once said something really funny. We were all sitting around bashing President Bush for being stupid. And he said "Is he less intelligent than Clinton? A President that was so stupid, he slept with an intern. And he became only the second impeached President we've ever had."

A very good point.

And as smart as I think Obama is...believe me, many things have me wondering about that now.

KarenBP Dec. 19, 2009 @ 8:56 p.m.

i wanna go to Hawaii!!!!!!!

McCain was great on SNL about 8 years ago...

Josh Board Dec. 21, 2009 @ 7:42 p.m.

I don't recall McCain being on the show. But usually, when these people go on, they're good. Because the writers give them great lines.

I always found it so amusing that Christopher Walken killed on that show (cowbell skit, etc), and if you watch him, he's ALWAYS looking at the cue cards. For such a great actor, he does a crappy job on SNL. But the skits are so great, you love watching it. I'm also guessing it's easier to write for an actor like him, Willem Deffoe, Dennis Hopper, etc.

thestoryteller Dec. 23, 2009 @ 3:57 p.m.

Don't gey me wrong. I don't mean to imply that Palin is the only stupid politician ofeither party. And to Obama, the great rescuer of the country: WHERE THE HELL IS MY HUSBAND'S UNEMPLOYMENT CHECK?????????????????????????????????????????????