I think I just did a blog a week ago, about someone in a bank chasing a robber and promptly being fired. Well, it's happened again.

This time it was a student, working at Best Buy in Colorado. He tackled a shoplifter, and another employee came over to help out. When a manager jumped in, he got cut by the knife the shoplifter had.

Best Buy has fired the students, and people are now planning boycotts of Best Buy. As I said with the bank employee, it's a stupid decision to terminate the employees. But... the guy getting cut by a knife, is exactly why they have rules about letting the thieves leave and calling the police.

But as I said in the previous blog, it's going to be a PR nightmare if you fire someone protecting the interest of YOUR company.

Another thing I've covered in many blogs, are idiotic cops that should be fired. In fact, we just talked about it a few days ago with the Carlsbad story Pete brought up.

Well, in Westminster, a police sergeant was using law enforcement databases to stalk former girlfriends and investigate the men they were dating. He also used DMV files to find out information on his former wife.

He also used these databases for women he met at his gym and his kids school. (I know, I know. We've all thought how cool it is that cops don't give tickets to other cops...we completely forgot about how cool it would be to check info out on our neighbors, huh?)

As tempting as it would be if you were a cop, to look info up....or to walk by the evidence room and grab a few items like it was your own personal lost-and-found -- it just can't be worth the risk.

A friend of mine retired, after being a cop for 25 years. He talked about getting a promotion and working in the office.

He was bored one day, and looked up some celebrity on the database machine. It was something very minor. He told me the next day, he was given a stern talk, and it never did it again (of course, the idiots of the world will still go around thinking cops just go around doing whatever they want, harassing regular citizens).

Believe me, cops are checking on each other.

And someone else checking on others, is Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. He went to the county fair, and first refused protection, because as he said "I'm not going there on business, but with my family."

A woman was trying to protect her 1-year-old granddaughter from a man that was involved in a domestic dispute with her daughter, as the Mayor was in the parking lot with his family.

She was screaming for someone to call 911, and the 55-year-old Mayor ran over saying "Let's all cool down here, I'm going to call 911."

The guy promptly beat him in the head and torso with a metal pipe.

The Mayor did get a punch off, breaking his hand on the guys head. But he was hospitalized, and lost a few teeth in the battle.

I will say, one thing he isn't going to lose, is re-election. I mean, Marion Berry in D.C. keeps getting elected to things, and he's on film doing crack cocaine. He was recently arrested for stalking someone.

So I have to think a mayor that comes to the aid of people in parking lots, is a shoe-in.

I can see the campaign adds now: "Mayor Tom Barrett -- Tough on Crime!"

More like this:

Comments

The_Comedian Aug. 19, 2009 @ 11:35 a.m.

With the BBuy employees they've now put BBuy at risk for a lawsuit. These employees have gone through trainings which enforce exactly what it is they can and cannot do in these types of situations. The kid let his emotions get the best of him which is unfortunate, and his heart was in the right place but BBuy has to enforce these rules. It's all part of the paperwork trail of big corporations.

verolicas69 Aug. 19, 2009 @ 11:36 a.m.

So who gets to pay for the teeth work he's gonna have to have done. His family, cuz it was a family outing??

PistolPete Aug. 19, 2009 @ 11:54 a.m.

Milwaukee is a weird town when it comes to crime. There are cases like the one mentioned above. There was Jeffrey Dahmer. The one difference I noticed while growing up between Milwaukee and Chicago was the randomness and viciousness of crimes. Milwaukee had more random crime because the mob isn't really big there. Never really was. Frank Balistieri wasn't so feared we later found out. Chicago on the other hand had more vicious crimes. The mob had ALOT to do with that. In a mob town,your going to get some really vicious murders. The kicker is,the mob keeps it in house. Less publicity. Less notoriety. Now that the mob is gone(for the most part anyways)from both cities,you're going to see some real f--ked up s--t goin' on. This is why I've loved the mob. The mob had a way of cleaning up the streets that NO government organization ever could. I don't fear cops. I do fear cousin Vinnie and his enforcers. C'mon,Josh...let's start a Bring Back The Mob campaign. More vice-related crime,less heinous crime. Sounds like a pretty good trade to me.....

PistolPete Aug. 19, 2009 @ 11:59 a.m.

Taxpayers will be footin' his medical bills verolicas69. Barrett's a Democrat.

Josh Board Aug. 19, 2009 @ 12:20 p.m.

Yeah, I agree, Comedian. I just don't think firing is the answer. You suspend them for a few weeks, and have some meetings, STRESSING why you don't go after shoplifters.

Good point, verlica. I'm sure the tax payers won't mind footing the bill for a mayor that took a few shots to the head with a pipe.

I read a Richard Nixon book years ago, and he talked about having the two or three Secret Service agents, that ex-presidents get for the rest of their lives, dismissed. He didn't want to waste taxpayer money, which was really cool of him. Especially when you have people like this Charles Manson gal (can't remember her name), that recently got out of prison. She tried to shoot President Ford, and got 30 years.

Russ Lewis Aug. 19, 2009 @ 1:54 p.m.

"We've all thought how cool it is that cops don't give tickets to other cops..." Here's something to think about, Josh: This is exactly what's good about red-light cameras. The camera doesn't care who runs the light, cop or citizen. You run the light, you get the ticket. End of discussion.

Josh Board Aug. 19, 2009 @ 4:14 p.m.

That...is a very interesting point. I have friends that hate the fact that cops don't give other cops tickets. I've never had a problem with that. But yeah, a cop wouldn't show up to court and say "I shouldn't have to pay this. You see, I'm an officer of the law." A judge would laugh him out of court.

But, get this. I have a friend that told me about a cop they know. Just became an officer, and he's been pulled over twice. Once, the cop was issuing a ticket and saw he was a cop. He was asked why he didn't inform the cop he was also an officer, and he said "Because I was speeding, and I deserve the ticket." He didn't get the ticket. But, another time it happened, and the cop never knew this was a fellow officer. And he got a $300 speeding ticket.

Bizarre.

rickeysays Aug. 19, 2009 @ 4:41 p.m.

I suspect if a cop sent in the red light ticket with his identity, showing he was a cop, he'd still get out of it. Anybody know different?

rickeysays Aug. 19, 2009 @ 4:53 p.m.

BTW I wish everybody was like this mayor. Way to many people have the nonconfrontational, mind-your-own-business attitude, rather than standing up for what's right. I just almost got beat up myself, because I was in Carls Jr and a guy came in and went right to the soda fountain and started filling up his gatorade bottle with lemonade. When he asked me what I was looking at, I told him a thief. He told me to mind my own business. When I told him it was my business, because I (and everyone else) would have to pay for that, he came over to my booth and stood over it, talking sh%# and trying to intimidate me. I was just waiting for him to put his hands on me, but he never did. After spouting off a little more about how I was going to get my a$$ kicked over a drink, he left. My point is, if everybody stood up for what's right, every time, guys like this wouldn't go through life thinking they can do whatever they want. Maybe once in a while someone would have to take one for the team, like this mayor. But wouldn't it be worth it? Wouldn't the world be a better place?

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 19, 2009 @ 5:16 p.m.

By rickeysays

A red light ticket is run by an independant contractor who then send the citation to the PD for final approval of the citation, there would be no way to determine if it is a cop or not behind the wheel.

Cops will be given a warning on most traffic offenses-but if it is something serious like wreckless driving or drunk driving they are going to be cited or go to jail.

I have seen judges go to jail on DUI's. You simply will not get a serious beef like that pushed under the table anymore. CHP are particularly known for not cutting other cops slack.

verolicas69 Aug. 19, 2009 @ 10:47 p.m.

Her name was Squeaky, the Manson follower

PistolPete Aug. 20, 2009 @ 12:31 a.m.

Normally I might agree with you on this one rickeysays but Carl's Jr. is a MULTI-billion dollar a year business. Do the math. One XL drink is roughly $2 yet the ingredients and packaging involved cost about 50 cents. That's a $1.50 mark up. Who's the thief? The pimply faced teenager(or Mexican if you live here in Sandy Eggo)serving you your meal most likely gets a minimum wage and has Uncle Sam help pay his medical,dental and vision bills for non-work related injuries. For every $10 you spend on fast food,most likely,only about $4 is spent on actual cost. The rest? PURE PROFIT for greedy owners.

I also disagree because my life is worth more than a .05 cup of lemonade,nobody's paying me to be the world's hall monitor and if people started minding their own business,we wouldn't have lawsuits over fat kids eating food at Carl's Jr. anyway.

The_Comedian Aug. 20, 2009 @ 8:22 a.m.

"I will say, one thing he isn't going to lose, is re-election. I mean, Marion Berry in D.C. keeps getting elected to things, and he's on film doing crack cocaine." - and with a prostitute!

You know what his comeback slogan was when he ran and won after serving his time? "He May Not Be Perfect, But He's Perfect for D.C.". (That may seem like a perfectly written joke but it's actually the truth)

The_Comedian Aug. 20, 2009 @ 8:24 a.m.

**I should have noted upon his comeback and use of that slogan he ran for City Council, not mayor.

Josh Board Aug. 20, 2009 @ 11:01 a.m.

Pete, the problem with your logic is this. If you are justifying crime, by a business "overcharging" for their product, where would that logic end? Should we shoplift from a jewelry store, because debeers makes us pay 3 times what a diamond is worth?

A large Carl's Jr. soda probably costs them a dime, and they sell it for $1.80 or whatever. So what. As a costumer, you can decide NOT to buy it, and instead go buy 2-liters of soda at Vons, which would be less than $1.80.

I'm sure it's also cheaper to cook a hamburger at home. You can go to the store and buy the ingredients.

Maybe the mark-up they are charging, goes to paying to rent the building, the air conditioning you get to enjoy while you sit there and eat, the employees (and their minimum wage).

It doesn't justify stealing.

Josh Board Aug. 20, 2009 @ 3:11 p.m.

Verolica...Squeaky? Isn't that a character from Laverne & Shirley? Oh wait...Squeaky Fromme, you're right. She should've killed Manson for giving her such a goofy nickname!

PistolPete Aug. 20, 2009 @ 5:14 p.m.

I guess I'm not trying to justify stealing either. My problem was rickeysays's attitude about calling someone out about the lemonade. Rickeysays? Did you do anything when the pension scandal came to light? Didn't think so. Same thing. Much bigger consequences for taxpayers. I don't know. Maybe I'm reading into too much and should shut the f--k up. Or maybe not.

Josh Board Aug. 23, 2009 @ 7:30 p.m.

Well Pete, to speak for rickeysays...when the pension scandal came to light, I doubt he was sitting next to them in a fast food place where he could look over and comment, or he probably would've.