Don Bauder 6:30 p.m., July 2
- Community Blog
- Daily Crasher
Odd Couple Oddities
Gillian Anderson, who stared in the X-Files, was probably getting sick of her co-star David Duchoveny making all the news with his sex addiction and divorce.
Well, the 40-year-old actress had a baby boy the other day. She named the child Felix. Not necessarily the name that would come to mind if I was naming a son.
She had a son with a previous husband, that she named Piper. But, it's the name of her second son with this current guy, that probably influenced the name Felix, that she gave to her third son.
Her second son is named Oscar. Yep, that's right. Felix and Oscar.
Those are the names of the main characters in The Odd Couple, Neil Simons play from the mid-60s, that became the great movie with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau (and later the TV series).
Both Lemmon and Mathau died within a year of each other. And, recently, another person associated with that movie passed away.
Neal Hefti, whose name might not be recognizable, but his theme song was. He played trumpet, and became an arranger and composer for movie themes. And, he did that opening theme to The Odd Couple, and the more popular Batman. Believe it or not, the Batman theme actually charted, becoming a Top 40 hit and winning him a Grammy in 1966.
His lesser known compositions were in movies Harlow and Barefoot in the Park.
The 85-year-old had worked with some of the biggest names of the big band era, and died just 18 days before his 86th birthday.
More like this:
- Familiar story, homegrown feel — Sept. 22, 2014
- Famous DEAD Neighbors: Local gravesites of the (formerly) rich and famous — Oct. 22, 2012
- Famous DEAD Neighbors in San Diego, plus My Brunch With Yoko Ono, “When John Lennon Met Yoko” Comix — June 28, 2008
- Famous Dead Neighbors, plus a History of Local Public Access Music TV — Jan. 31, 2008
- Underground With the Celebrity Dead — Oct. 27, 2005