Where have all good men gone And where are all the gods? Where’s the street-wise Hercules To fight the rising odds?

Isn’t there a white knight upon a fiery steed? Late at night I toss and turn and dream of what I need

I need a hero I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the end of the night He’s gotta be strong And he’s gotta be fast And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight I need a hero I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light He’s gotta be sure And it’s gotta be soon And he’s gotta be larger than life

Somewhere after midnight In my wildest fantasy Somewhere just beyond my reach There’s someone reaching back for me

Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat It’s gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet

Up Where the mountains meet the heavens above Out where the lightning splits the sea I would swear that there’s someone somewhere Watching me Through the wind and the chill and the rain And the storm and the flood I can feel his approach Like a fire in my blood

ah the men in my life

each and every one of them fit this bill in one way or another

when this song came out in 1985 it became my anthem

it wasn't the usual "hey Hunky riding that pure white stallion come protect me"

it was the cry of a fiercely independent woman looking for the man whose attributes ran like wildfire thru her veins

she wasn't looking for a protector...she was looking for a partner who met her expectation

a hero

and notice nowhere in the song does it speak of age or good looks

being a hero has nothing to do with that

i've met a few men here at the READER that i think qualify

and even tho i'm not lookin' hard for one anymore

i prize them still in a platonic sort of way....hahahahahahahahahahaha

u know who u are

i sure like the shape of ur Stetson and the tilt u wear it at homeys

Comments

nan shartel May 28, 2010 @ 12:40 p.m.

ah well...i liked doin' this one anyway..hahahahahaha

David Dodd May 28, 2010 @ 1:17 p.m.

A lot of times, I think that our heros are the one's we've met and are gone. Just, you know, people that have impressed us in some way. Other times we're lucky enough to keep them in our lives for a while ;)

I count my father amongst those. And my son. I consider myself very lucky to get to choose from such a large pool of awesome people.

MsGrant May 28, 2010 @ 1:19 p.m.

I liked it nan, but I'm no hero!! More like a zero....

Was that song really 25 years ago?!?

Rocket_J_Squirrel May 28, 2010 @ 9:38 p.m.

never fear......"pocket rocket"is here.

(lurk)

nan shartel May 29, 2010 @ 10:25 a.m.

agreed Refried

my Da was my numero uno HERO

one of my heroes was a mentor...taught me ambiance..all those small almost inconsequential things that change an atmosphere from ordinary to extraordinary

i was a lil orphink girl in many ways as i was removed by the state from my mother at 11...i always said i was just like TOPSY and i just GROWED

i had no class at all..my mother was flatly aculturated with a 3rd grade education at a Indian school in Texas...she spoke Choctaw

when i met that boyfriend i was a welfare case who had gone back to school and become a nurse..but i had no pictures on my wall... mismatched Salvation Army furniture and all that stuff..and i thought it was just fine...hahahahaha

he was my hero because he taught and explained to me the importance of including lovely subtleties in my life...he also taught me "double entendre"...which i now use extensively...hahahahahaha

nan shartel May 29, 2010 @ 10:27 a.m.

Grantie...i think ur hubby is a hero for u...at least i get that impression...ur not a hero Grantie...Ur a heroine...hahahahahaha

and yes it is that old

gawd how'd that happen??????

nan shartel May 29, 2010 @ 10:28 a.m.

hi pocket rocket..me loves me some superhero squirrelly lurker...kiss!!!

nan shartel May 29, 2010 @ 10:29 a.m.

ZERO???

SHADUPP U WONDERFUL LADY!!!!!!!!!

nan shartel May 29, 2010 @ 11:16 a.m.

oh i forgot to tell u all

it was my mother that was the POET

MsGrant May 29, 2010 @ 11:59 a.m.

Well, you turned out great!! Thanks, nan - he sorta rescued me from myself many years ago and just let me live up to my potential rather than try to stomp it out.

What happened to your mother? Do you still have any of her poems? Now you've got me all curious!!!!

nan shartel May 30, 2010 @ 12:27 p.m.

as i'm 70 Grantie..my mom is dead now...she like my sister and nephew was a paranoid schizophrenic in a time when there was no medication for that disease...so she self medicated with alcohol and became an alcoholic too

it was only when she was drunk that she spoke Choctaw..she was a dust bowl era child.... she and her deserted mother stumbling from pillar to post across the country in a rattle trap model T working as migrant pickers

when she was 17 she had a psychic experience..and continued to have them till she was 40 when her true dementia took hold of her by the throat and never let go...i was born when she was 30

it was difficult for the family to believe the delusional process at first because before all of her prediction about thing came true..so she was just considered a psychic...she was tested by DUKE UNIVERSITY and scored very high in Psychic ability

i have no poems of hers...my sister who is also Schizophrenic burned everything after my mother died..all of her pictures and poems..all of our pictures as children

so now i only have memories to go from...i have tried to sketch those memories over time

the 8+ years i was in boarding schools and foster homes probably saved me...altho they didn't save my sister...i became agnostic because of the mental illness in my family...i refused to believe in a GOD who would allow any person to live the life of a Schizophrenic ...my sis is 68 now and has been ill since childhood

and of course except for my father i felt over the year i had no family..no one i could learn from or turn to

but i did depend on myself and did the best i could...and when my sis couldn't care for her girls i took them for 7 years..so they wouldn't have to be in foster homes

my sis and i were never in the same foster home so i lost touch with her for about 10 years

i think i have as much as possible become self actualized in spite of the fact my safety needs were not met in childhood

and yes Grantie..i turned out by my own diligence and eagerness OK....hahahahaha

i say that with a little tongue in cheek!!!

i even managed to go to college in my late 20's and early 30's

i think Grantie that's why i'm so soft hearted toward those in need and who are having a tuff life..because i understand that even if sometimes they don't seem to warrant it ...they need positive encouragement

i know there are scam artist out there..bad actors..ingrates...but no one starts out that way...and if any kind words can change even one i'll go on saying them

everyone deserves to be a hero..and can be one...with self resolve and the support of others

MsGrant May 30, 2010 @ 12:57 p.m.

Nan, you are my hero. You are way more than "OK". And if you are any indication of what 70 looks like, I'm looking forward to it.....