Cuddles

it's just the best poem...so i put it up here so maybe a few others can read it

poem by Kim Addonizio

What Do Women Want

I want a red dress.

I want it flimsy and cheap,

I want it too tight, I want to wear it

until someone tears it off me.

I want it sleeveless and backless,

this dress, so no one has to guess

what's underneath. I want to walk down

the street past Thrifty's and the hardware store

with all those keys glittering in the window

past Mr. and Mrs. Wong selling day-old

donuts in their café, past the Guerra brothers

slinging pigs from the truck and onto the dolly,

hoisting the slick snouts over their shoulders.

I want to walk like I'm the only

woman on earth and I can have my pick.

I want that red dress bad.

I want it to confirm

your worst fears about me,

to show you how little I care about you

or anything except what

I want. When I find it, I'll pull that garment

from its hanger like I'm choosing a body

to carry me into this world, through

the birth-cries and the love-cries too,

and I'll wear it like bones, like skin,

it'll be the goddamned

dress they bury me in.

damn...now that's my kind of woman

i think that's my favorite poem now too Cuddles!!!

it reminds me of

strawberries picked

on a sinful sultry day

with that succulent slight pain

beckoning intimacy

in the small of my back

so worthy of the taste

of the juice that trickles down your chin

when my earthy sweat smells sweet

and my smooth legs

harbor the evanescent kiss

of another summer in the sun

written by Nan

u can read 2 other poems by Kim Addonizo in the Poetry Section of the READER

More like this:

Comments

nan shartel April 19, 2010 @ 2:16 p.m.

don't forget to watch and listen to the music video..and before u ask

yes...those r handcuffs :-O

CuddleFish April 19, 2010 @ 3:24 p.m.

Awww thanks nan, yes that is one of my all time favorite poems, and as a bonus you included one of my all time favorite songs, Lady in Red. And your poem is wonderful, too!!!! What a great thread! :)

nan shartel April 19, 2010 @ 10:56 p.m.

and the slow heartbeat of Chris singing that song is enuff to start an orgasm

it's OK

i know u can say things like that here...hahahahahahaha...i told u i'd be trouble now ;-))

nan shartel April 19, 2010 @ 11:56 p.m.

hahahahahahaha...what r u doing up so late Cuddles????

CuddleFish April 20, 2010 @ 12:22 a.m.

Talking to a friend on the phone, he and I are planning to take over the world. :) Also, answering emails and reading this forum and checking on my son and playing with my cats. Aaaaannnddd, I am looking for something I want to post here in a second ....

CuddleFish April 20, 2010 @ 12:31 a.m.

Lorca, nan. Listen to the audio on YouTube, and read the translation in English.

La Mujer Infiel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTiCXdH14Y

The Unfaithful Wife http://able2know.org/topic/16229-1

SDaniels April 20, 2010 @ 4:42 a.m.

re: #4:

"Factoid for Joe: Both sexes like red. Men prefer orange-based red, and women prefer blue-based red. In the video, for example, at 3:30, the two lipsticks side by side, one is orange based, the other blue based."

In my experience, it has been the exact reverse on all points. I loved red as a child, then backed off it for the longest time staying on the opposite end of the spectrum (greens), liking it again only in my late twenties. I've noticed that men I've known tend to gravitate toward cooler-based colors, while I, being of autumn complect, have always chosen warmer, orange-based reds that complement skin of this shade.

Indisputable factoid: Blue-based red lipstick makes the teeth look whiter :)

Joe Poutous April 20, 2010 @ 7:50 a.m.

Wow Nan... I blinked and you have a new, hot avatar and your writing has become, well - hot!

I approve. - Joe

SDaniels April 20, 2010 @ 10:56 a.m.

Nan's writing has been [fans throat rapidly] hot all the while, Joe! Where you bin? :)

SDaniels April 20, 2010 @ 10:57 a.m.

re: #10: Lorca rocks. Looks like we have some poetic tastes in common.

nan shartel April 20, 2010 @ 2:09 p.m.

that talking to a friend on the phone Cuddles...i had a friend like that and we talked about the unrelenting mystery of the BLACK HOLES in Space

we also gossiped about his wife's exhibitionist tendencies and wondered if we could talk her out of wearing see thru blouses without a bra

once i had a party and she was wearing her "get everyones attention" apparel ...he was at work and when he walked in he casually said "i see ur wearing the Emperors new clothes"

I THOUGHT I'D NEVER STOP LAUGHING ;-o

nan shartel April 20, 2010 @ 2:18 p.m.

Cuddles #10

FEDERICO GARCIA LORCA: THE UNFAITHFUL WIFE

So I took her to the river believing she was a maiden, but she already had a husband. It was on St. James night and almost as if I was obliged to. The lanterns went out and the crickets lighted up. In the farthest street corners I touched her sleeping breasts and they opened to me suddenly like spikes of hyacinth. The starch of her petticoat sounded in my ears like a piece of silk rent by ten knives. Without silver light on their foliage the trees had grown larger and a horizon of dogs barked very far from the river.

Past the blackberries, the reeds and the hawthorne underneath her cluster of hair I made a hollow in the earth I took off my tie, she too off her dress. I, my belt with the revolver, She, her four bodices. Nor nard nor mother-o?pearl have skin so fine, nor does glass with silver shine with such brilliance. Her thighs slipped away from me like startled fish, half full of fire, half full of cold. That night I ran on the best of roads mounted on a nacre mare without bridle stirrups.

As a man, I won’t repeat the things she said to me. The light of understanding has made me more discreet. Smeared with sand and kisses I took her away from the river. The swords of the lilies battled with the air.

I behaved like what I am, like a proper gypsy. I gave her a large sewing basket, of straw-colored satin, but I did not fall in love for although she had a husband she told me she was a maiden when I took her to the river.

HOLY MOTHER OF GAWD CUDDLES!!!!!!!

ur gonna have me lickin' the ears of every Mexican man i meet

~~and likin' it~~

nan shartel April 20, 2010 @ 2:20 p.m.

SDaniels...Cuddles will have us both sweating here...HAND ME THAT FAN!!!

SDaniels April 20, 2010 @ 2:44 p.m.

Wowwwww. Never ceases. Hand me the nearest ear. :)

nan shartel April 20, 2010 @ 2:47 p.m.

~~WATCHING THE LICKIN' LIPS AND DARTIN' TONGUE~~

hashahahahahahahaha

CuddleFish April 20, 2010 @ 10:57 p.m.

Following on the theme of gypsy love, and because I like to think of nan dancing to this music:

Amor Gitano - Jose Feliciano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHXsMj...

Amor Gitano - the great Alci Acosta http://popup.lala.com/popup/937030231881485709

nan shartel April 21, 2010 @ 7:09 p.m.

Cuddles u maniac!!!!

get that rose from between ur teeth

com'ere!!!

~~slow step step...slow step step...turn..deep dip~~

did u see Frida Cuddles?????

TANGO!!!!

CuddleFish April 21, 2010 @ 9:25 p.m.

Knew that would light you up, beautiful dancer. :)

nan shartel April 22, 2010 @ 9:27 a.m.

aaaaahhhhhhh...u just go girl...dance thru the weekend hunnypants :-)

nan shartel Dec. 17, 2011 @ 5:48 p.m.

i miss u Miss Cuddles!!!

i was a better writer when all of u were here...dang!!!