Image

here's some of the best

1957: The respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in. Many called the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this the BBC diplomatically replied, "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

1996: The Taco Bell Corporation announced it had bought the Liberty Bell and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called the National Historic Park in Philadelphia where the bell was housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed, a few hours later, that it was all a practical joke. The best line of the day came when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale. Thinking on his feet, he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had also been sold. It would now be known, he said, as the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial.

1998: The April 1998 issue of the New Mexicans for Science and Reason newsletter contained an article claiming that the Alabama state legislature had voted to change the value of the mathematical constant pi from 3.14159 to the 'Biblical value' of 3.0. Soon the article made its way onto the internet, and then it rapidly spread around the world, forwarded by email. It only became apparent how far the article had spread when the Alabama legislature began receiving hundreds of calls from people protesting the legislation. The original article, which was intended as a parody of legislative attempts to circumscribe the teaching of evolution, was written by physicist Mark Boslough.

1995: Discover Magazine reported that the highly respected wildlife biologist Dr. Aprile Pazzo had found a new species in Antarctica: the hotheaded naked ice borer. These fascinating creatures had bony plates on their heads that, fed by numerous blood vessels, could become burning hot, allowing the animals to bore through ice at high speeds. They used this ability to hunt penguins, melting the ice beneath the penguins and causing them to sink downwards into the resulting slush where the hotheads consumed them. After much research, Dr. Pazzo theorized that the hotheads might have been responsible for the mysterious disappearance of noted Antarctic explorer Philippe Poisson in 1837. "To the ice borers, he would have looked like a penguin," the article quoted her as saying. Discover received more mail in response to this article than they had received for any other article in their history.

1998: Burger King published a full page advertisement in USA Today announcing the introduction of a new item to their menu: a "Left-Handed Whopper" specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new whopper included the same ingredients as the original Whopper (lettuce, tomato, hamburger patty, etc.), but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left-handed customers. The following day Burger King issued a follow-up release revealing that although the Left-Handed Whopper was a hoax, thousands of customers had gone into restaurants to request the new sandwich. Simultaneously, according to the press release, "many others requested their own 'right handed' version."

and i'm going to join the Antarctic flying penquins and head North to the South American Rain forests for the Winter...

2008: The BBC announced that camera crews filming near the Antarctic for its natural history series Miracles of Evolution had captured footage of Adélie penguins taking to the air. It even offered a video clip of these flying penguins, which became one of the most viewed videos on the internet. Presenter Terry Jones explained that, instead of huddling together to endure the Antarctic winter, these penguins took to the air and flew thousands of miles to the rainforests of South America where they "spend the winter basking in the tropical sun." A follow-up video explained how the BBC created the special effects of the flying penguins.

Comments

MsGrant April 1, 2010 @ 11:24 a.m.

Where you goin'? Thanks for laughs!!

nan shartel April 1, 2010 @ 12:08 p.m.

no where Ms grant...just funnin' ya

these r all hilarious...especially the spaghetti tree one...hahahahaha :-)

MsGrant April 1, 2010 @ 12:36 p.m.

Yes, that one was the best!! But my favorite of all time, though not originally intended as a hoax, was the Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" broadcast. People went nuts!!

nan shartel April 1, 2010 @ 1:19 p.m.

he did that one on Halloween didn't he???

SDaniels April 1, 2010 @ 9:05 p.m.

These are all much funner than the one played on me today. An acquaintaince at our local cafe had me try on a necklace of hers I'd been eyeing, and asking if I could buy from her--long chain with a white enamel seahorse pendant.

She said right out of the blue that she wanted to see what it looked like on me, and I happened to be wearing an outfit it really looked good with, so I was sort of holding my breath, trying to sip my coffee, all nonchalance.

After a little while, she said "So you like that seahorse?"

"Yes indeedy I do, as you know" I replied hopefully.

"Well, it's yours!"

"Really? Really?"

"Not...April Fool's!" Girl was triumphant.

I don't think it was that funny...;(

antigeekess April 1, 2010 @ 10:22 p.m.

Re #7: Bitch. Make sure you get even with that one next year.

I liked Google's little trick. Kind of a WTF moment when I logged on earlier today. For those who missed it:

David Dodd April 1, 2010 @ 10:53 p.m.

I still think the best April Fool's prank ever was pulled off right in San Diego. Anyone who has been around these parts for a while has undoubtedly caught the Dave, Shelly, & Chainsaw show at some point. On April 1st, 1993, it was announced in the news portion of the show that - due to technical problems at Edwards Air Force Base where the shuttle used to land - the space shuttle would be making an emergency landing at Montgomery Field. Apparently, they were believable to many because over a thousand people showed up there. The authorities didn't take kindly to it, they were suspended for a week after the incident.

Funny thing to me was that there was no shuttle launched at the time. I couldn't believe how many people took that bait. And, well, you would need about four or five Montgomery Field landing strips to land a shuttle.

CuddleFish April 2, 2010 @ 5:02 a.m.

nanners, we need you here, leave those flying penguins alone!!!

Okay, will give you guys all a big laugh at my expense, seeing as I still get a big kick out of remembering what happened to me when I fell for a radio DJ prank some years ago. In my defense, I was a kid back then, and didn't remember that it was April Fool's Day that day! (Recounting this from memory so details may not be entirely accurate, but you will get the gist.)

This happened back when people still had standard desk or wall phones in their homes like the kind seen on television being used by the Brady Bunch with the curly wire and chunky handsets that had round ear and mouth pieces that could be unscrewed (remember the old spy movies when taps were put into phones this way), and most everybody's service came from Pacific Bell.

One day I was listening to the radio and heard the DJs read a news announcement. The telephone company had been working on an underground installation and there had been an explosion causing dirt to be forced into the main trunk lines. Customers were to unscrew the mouthpieces from their phones and blow into the handset to remove the dust from their lines. So naturally I did as instructed, reached over, took the phone off the hook, unscrewed the mouthpiece and blew into the handset!!!

Long time before I figured out I had been pranked. Okay, I'm a doofus LOLOL!

nan shartel April 3, 2010 @ 2:47 p.m.

oh SDaniels...friend???

even April Fools day was no time for that kind of snarkiness!!:-(

i did see TOPEKA...and didn't even realize what was up...i thought some town in Kansas had changed it's name to GOOGLE...hahahahahahaha...oh well Kansas does have a a rather imagination driven ambiance doesn't it DOROTHY..hahaha :-)

wow i remember that shuttle thing Refried...that was a GOOD one!!!

oh Cuddles...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...i'm sorry i need to run to the bathroom on that one ;-) :-0

OOPS!!!!