this blog will of course be publicly published here in The Reader

and why...since I've been given very kindly advice about the two blogs I've already published

well it's that "old as dirt" thing that cautions ppl of every age to understand that old farmers and old ppl in general probably have well clean firearms that sit visibly in the corner of their front rooms or hang over the fireplace as a symbol that they can take care of themselves should they have too

it's really just so much idiocy but hey...u go old folks!!!!

and now uh oh...the word "flamer" is now old hat...and old hat is so old hat that i should be whiplashed for even using it...Geesus Cripes i feel old...outdated and fit only for the blogging dust heap

I'm now very unhappy with all the previous people who treated me like i was some literary charmed creature who enriched their lives with every word i wrote that showed up on their monitor

I'm so ashamed...hahahahahahahaha

I'm familiar with "trolls"...however i thought they were just wart covered ornery "little people under the bridge dwellers" that were fignuttens of the Brothers Grimm

and Flamers were just angry young cynics with a demigod complex who had and used for any reason flamethrowers

thx for asking me to contribute FullFlavoredPike

i honestly appreciate that

but here's what you need to understand

i am old...and unfortunately i now realised I'm "out of date" too

my eyes and sensibilities are a mixed bag of the world from the 1950's on

I'm not a maudlin person...and won't be trying to get you to watch PBS's Doo Wop series to make peeps like me to send more money in to them then my Social Security check can bear

yesterday it occurred to me that i should now only act as an audience to the younger generation...and not comment on them at all...good or bad..bad will just be snickered at and good will be due to my age over looked

and i remember how i felt the same way when i was younger

in spite of all this i will try to find my way into the here and now that crosses many generations...i like to think of myself as one who seeks to not become outdated

and i like challenges

i'm not a mean old woman who tries to sweep you off my Blogs porch when you have someting to say

that some come and say something to me at all is noteworthy

is it the kegger there that brings you by????

Comments

David Dodd Sept. 28, 2009 @ 1:38 p.m.

There is a difference between a flamer and a troll. A flamer comes in and intentionally starts a war with the author, in an attempt to disrupt. A troll attempts to bully, which is often disruptful but more likely a need to dominate through intimidation.

For example, in World Politics:

Flamer: Iran, North Korea, Lybia, Venezuela

Troll: U.S., Israel, Russia, U.K.

CuddleFish Sept. 28, 2009 @ 1:44 p.m.

I believe, if I am not mistaken, Sir Gringo, that nan is referring to a post from Sir Pike in another thread.

Nan, I look forward to reading your posts. :)

David Dodd Sept. 28, 2009 @ 1:51 p.m.

I read it. Pike said there was no difference, but I think there is. I've been flamed and I've been trolled, they felt like completely different types of sharp pointy sticks ;)

CuddleFish Sept. 28, 2009 @ 1:57 p.m.

LOL!

Agree there is a difference.

A flamer is a person who flames other people's posts.

A troll is a disagreeable person, whose posts are disagreeable.

??

I don't know, never gave it much thought before.

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:02 p.m.

1: Priceless!!!!

nan: "...my eyes and sensibilities are a mixed bag of the world from the 1950's on"

You're not that old, nan. But certainly, you've got stories to share with the whippersnappers? :)

nan shartel Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:15 p.m.

ah SDaniels...your words go down way to smoothly...hence the taster at my side checking it out for a clever poison rimming the glass

no really.... thx..and you whippersnappers know there's not one danged thing i can tell you that will help you in anyway

but i like it when you come by for the beer and to sit and laugh with me at nothing in particular once and a while

nan shartel Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:28 p.m.

refried

i will now write the longest run on sentence Ive ever written

but before i tackle it i want to thank you for the explanation of the differences between FLAMER and TROLL.

it may seem inconsequential to some but i think it clears the confusion from my mind

now for that neverending sentence

I've read some of your stuff Mister and i find myself mesmerized like a person sitting peacefully staring into a Koi Pond hypnotized by the bright shiny fish swimming languidly over a bottom filled with glinting silver dime

(take a breath)

well..that was so long after all

in other words..i REALLY like your writing

er..um..am i showing my age again by being way too forthright

can i say forthright???

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:42 p.m.

After calling the fire dept, I received the following definitional tips:

Anyone can flame in anger, a quick, hot-burning, but temporary flare. I think flaming is characterized by irrational, unproductive content such as name-calling.

If the flaming grows and sustains, you are dealing with a troll:

A troll is a raging fire that sweeps across the boards, licking ferociously at anyone in its path. ;)

CuddleFish Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:43 p.m.

LOL! You can say forthright if you bribe the editor!

I like the mention of the word fish there in that long sentence!

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:45 p.m.

"...hence the taster at my side checking it out for a clever poison rimming the glass"

nan, you should have a royal taster, but only part-time, and not for the sips of sparkling burgundy brew (go, Ella F.!) I offer you. You'll grow to trust me :)

Lovely characterization of refried's words--they are sometimes gravelly and flecked with interesting stones along the way, too. The kind you skip across that tranquil pond :)

David Dodd Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:47 p.m.

nan, I'm not only flattered but I'm blushing over here. And ma'am, I'm old enough (and hopefully properly raised in the right way concerning such matters) to go nowhere near discussing your age. You're twenty-nine. All women are no older than twenty-nine. Ever. This is something I learned as a young boy.

And as for forthright, you can say anything you want here, so long as it gets past the censors. And the censors seem to be mostly kind. I look forward to reading your stuff, just as the Koi patiently wait for those golden flakes to come dropping down from a gentle human hand, hungry and looking up hopefully as the sunlight dances on the surface of that magic pond.

nan shartel Sept. 28, 2009 @ 2:47 p.m.

fish...you are very very nice...and thx dear lady

nan shartel Sept. 28, 2009 @ 3:04 p.m.

~~kisses blown like some ancient Diva to all who are here~~

i saw Ella LIVE in LA when she had to be lead out onto the stage because she was already old and blind...a youngster of about 20 some stood up and screamed

YA STILL GOT IT LADY!!!

i cried

nan shartel Sept. 28, 2009 @ 3:06 p.m.

and hey...i'll get better beer next time we meet peeps

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ 3:08 p.m.

I would cry, too! She is my vocal idol. A friend lent us some video of Ella performing on Frank Sinatra's show--Carlos Jobim was on one of the shows, too. Lady had 'it' right up to the end, didn't she? My favorite all-time of hers is "You Go To My Head." :)

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ 3:09 p.m.

"and hey...i'll get better beer next time we meet peeps"

You're on, nan!

nan shartel Sept. 28, 2009 @ 3:21 p.m.

oh SDaniels..in some cases I'd say that your belief in the legends of the 30's 40's and 50's would not meet your current expectations

but that would not be true about Ella...as my dear old Da would say

"Nan ..no singer in her time could carry her bags"

you would have loved her LIVE..and if i could I'd wished you there sitting right beside me for one of her last public performances...Namaste SDaniels

SDaniels Sept. 28, 2009 @ 3:45 p.m.

"and if i could I'd wished you there sitting right beside me for one of her last public performances...Namaste SDaniels"

That would have been wonderful--a lovely wish, nan. I'm happy to have the recordings, though. Bee yap mmm bee yap, oohhhh, Mr. Paganini, please play that song for me/ and if you can't sing it, you'll... just have to...swinnnggg it... :)

nan shartel Sept. 28, 2009 @ 4 p.m.

Swing is back...what i was taught by my 17 year old Auntie in the 40's when the name was Jitterbug...lot's of swing clubs around i hear...how(whatever the word for grand is now)

some say SICK!!!

CuddleFish Sept. 28, 2009 @ 4:03 p.m.

Don't care for Woody Allen as a person, but when I used to watch his movies, I loved the soundtracks, all those great old standards.

antigeekess Sept. 28, 2009 @ 8:01 p.m.

Refried....lied?

"You're twenty-nine. All women are no older than twenty-nine. Ever. This is something I learned as a young boy."

So why am I 37, then? Hmmmmmmm????

I'm 29 too, dammit!!

;)

David Dodd Sept. 28, 2009 @ 8:14 p.m.

"Refried....lied?"

You're 29 ma'am. I mis-typed.

(I KNEW she was going to call me out on that!)

SDaniels Oct. 1, 2009 @ 7:50 p.m.

"and no one else has ever been able to carry her ~~Tisket a Tasket~~Little Yellow Basket either SDaniel!~*~"

I do a fair impression on karaoke--nothing even CLOSE, obviously, but it is my favorite to sing :)

AG, thank you so much for those links. Put them on favorites immediately.

nan shartel Oct. 6, 2009 @ 1:04 p.m.

yes yes...thankee AntiM