Image

Fact. We are the fattest developed nation on the planet. 30% of us are classified as being obese with over 4 million americans topping the scales over 300lbs. A big part of the problem is our total disconnection with the food we eat. We don't know what is in it, how it was made or where it came from. We have food deserts where people do not even have access to the kinds of food neccessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our food contains chemicals, additives, preservatives, growth hormones, antibiotics many of which the rest of the world banned decades ago. The childhood obesity rate has tripled in the last 20 years amongst 12 to 19 year olds. Our kids may be the first generation not expected to live longer than the previous generation. We need to start a grass roots program like the Ministry of Food being set up in the UK to teach people how to cook. We have a 2 generation gap when it comes to cooking skills. Something happened between Grandma cooking everything from scratch and eating all your meals from the 99c menu. Time to get back to basics I think

Comments

DukeHou Jan. 18, 2009 @ 5:11 a.m.

This is Duke from China. I fully agree each and every of opinions in this article. Keeping alive is the first point. After that, keeping healthy is the most important thing in our life. How? As a popular Chinese saying goes, illness arises out of our mouth. What kind of food we are eating is the starting point to resolve our health problem. It is advisable to take more vegetables and less meat. We ought to have green food not grey one. We never start smoking and stop it immediately. We could drink a little every day if our doctor says yes. We are not supposed to eat so fully that we can not walk. Just keep your stomach active not tired.

captcook Jan. 18, 2009 @ 4:59 p.m.

I agree Duke.We are facing issues every day regarding food safety and health issues associated with poor diets. All you need to do is look at todays news headlines regarding the peanut butter problems. You know how to avoid this.... now pay very close attention. Put some peanuts in a food processor with a little oil and a pinch of salt and turn it on. Few seconds for crunchy few more seconds for smooth. And the best thing is that you know exactly where it came from.

MsGrant Jan. 18, 2009 @ 5:59 p.m.

Oh, lord, this is my subject. I cannot for the life of me understand how Americans can be comfortable with how they eat. Food in this country is bastardized to the point of being unrecognizable. It boils down to one thing - there is sh*t in your food. There is an allowable amount of fecal matter in meat. Cooking directions are there not as a guide, but as a way for the meat industry to protect itself. Heating meat to the prescribed temperatures kills E.coli, etc. This is unacceptable. There should not be ANY fecal matter in food. Why this has become so commonplace and accepted was summed-up perfectly in your statement "our total disconnection with the food we eat". Bravo to you for getting the word out there. We need to eat real food, not psuedo food manufactured in a plant (no pun intended).

captcook Jan. 19, 2009 @ 10:39 a.m.

If people paid even a little attention they would be as pissed off as we are. There is a big con going on within the food industry. They are allowed to label food as 'natural' or 'healthy' and still jam these things with nitrites,HFCS, sodium benzoate and lord knows what else. I am a meat eater but I can't find anything unadulterated unless I want to hand over a kings ransom at one of our specialty shops. Since when did 'grass fed beef' become such a luxury that it has a $20 a pound price tag? Thought cows ate grass, thats their job.I watch the ad about the 'happy'California cows and they are always in fields. Next time you are in the grocery store check out the new labelling on the meat under the USDA's new COOL (country of origin labelling) system. We import the largest amount of our beef from Australia and New Zealand which goes to make our ground beef.( Tell me if that makes sense to anyone) So those of you trying to get into 'slow food' may have a hard time making a burger that is not "Product of USA,Mexico,Canada and New Zealand". Talk about a carbon footprint....Until next time.

MsGrant Jan. 21, 2009 @ 2:10 p.m.

There is a big con alright - ConAgra. Regarding your mention of paying big bucks for healthy food, I agree it is a disgrace to make us pay a tariff for food that won't kill us. It's very interesting how times change. Years ago, poor women ate brown bread and nursed their children, while the rich ate white bread and used formula. Now the opposite is true. Food has become class-conscious, with only the elite allowed to indulge in organic food, while the less fortunate must subside on heavily processed, cheap garbage (I dare not call it FOOD). Processed food is marketed toward the poor. You can still eat a healthy diet and not buy organic. A bag of apples is cheap. Just wash them well. But no one tells that to the poor. The government subsidized food given them? Huge blocks of processed cheese, white bread, sugary cereals, canned stews and meats, white flour and sugar. It is criminal. One more thing - the schools taking money from Pepsi and Coke and Taco Bell to sell their products on campus creates a taste for this crap at an age where the recipients will never move on to more healthy food as they get older. They call it "brand loyalty". Have you seen some of these kids lately? My nieces are both fat. They will not eat anything that does not have cheese on it, will not drink water, and shovel every imaginable form of junk food into their mouths whenever possible, especially Taco Bell, a taste they acquired in school. When they come visit me, they go for walks, eat healthy, and there are no sodas allowed. Their mother says I am "mean".

captcook Jan. 24, 2009 @ 10:17 a.m.

8 year old kids are regarded as potential 60 year customers and so have the bulk of the marketing aimed at them. Its probably the same marketing outfit that came up with the Joe Camel character. I have an 8 year old who is definitely paying attention to the discussions about the food she can/can not eat. I showed her the clip here from Supersize Me which answers the question " What could they possibly do to the fries". Now don't get me wrong here I am not sitting here in hemp underwear and eating flax seed muffins ( of course nothing wrong with that!).I am a regular, steak eating,beer drinking male who is tired of eating adulterated food. I grew up in small town Northern England and I know what chicken,beef,lamb etc etc is supposed to taste like and its only birthdays and Christmas that I can treat myself to that kind of stuff.(Maybe I'll go veggie the rest of the year!)

Here is the clip

MsGrant Feb. 7, 2009 @ 12:52 p.m.

That clip is great. I love Morgan. I, too, enjoy beer and nachos once in awhile (I won't eat meat, though, after reading Fast Food Nation). I grew up in New York State, and we picked apples from trees and ate tomatoes that tasted like heaven. Ever eat a tomato from a grocery store now? Ugh! They taste like wall-paper paste.