Scott Marks 3 p.m., Aug. 21
Art!Power presents Indian-flavored 'Foovie' in October
What do you get when you cross dinner and a movie? As portmanteaus go, 'Divey' lacks the selling power needed to get across the experience Art!Power's food and film pairing is aiming for. Fortunately, the folks over at UCSD came up 'Foovie' [Food + Movie].
Next month, Art!Power serves up an Indian-themed coupling when they present Prashant Bhargava's Patang (The Kite) with a side of curry.
Here's how the press release describes Patang: "A poetic journey to Ahmedabad (that) weaves together the stories of six people transformed by the energy of India’s largest kite festival. Every year a million kites fill the skies of the old city – dueling, soaring, and flying high above cascading rooftops and streets overflowing with people. When a successful Delhi businessman takes his daughter on a surprise trip back to his childhood home for the festival, an entire family has to confront its own fractured past and fragile dreams."
Most of the menus I read are printed on a board, but I'll give it my best Burl Stiff. Dinner includes Garlic Naan Triangles with Homemade Indian Chutneys; Chickpea and Vegetable Curry with Currant Couscous, Apricots, and Sweet Chili Harissa Sauce. Also on the menu, Coconut Cinnamon Rice Pudding with a Ginger Wafer Crisp and Cilantro Sprigs.
Drinks sold separately. In the words of Charles Boyer, "Take me to the cash bar."
Mark your calendars for October 18. Dinner is at 7 pm followed by an 8 pm screening. It will net you $10 for the movie ala carte and $34 for the whole schmeer.
More like this:
- March's ArtPower! "Foovie," Yung Chang's The Fruit Hunters — Feb. 6, 2014
- UCSD's ArtPower! Film Announces its 2012-2013 Series — Aug. 2, 2012
- UCSD's ArtPower! Screens Winter Story as Part of Their 21st Century Chinese Film Series — April 16, 2012
- Soul Kitchen Transforms ArtPower! Into a Lofty Dinner and a Movie — March 26, 2012
- Three Films Selected by UCSD's ArtPower! Screen on PBS Shorts Showcase — Nov. 18, 2011